Upgrading Dual boot system - Problem with Windows 10 and linux

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
LakeMan-2
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrading Dual boot system - Problem with Windows 10 and linux

Post by LakeMan-2 »

I have a dual booted laptop. I primarily use Linux but for Photoshop and my taxes I need windows. My Window version is 8.1 and I want to do an upgrade in place no rebuild. Windows 10 doesn't boot after the upgrade which I believe is because of GRUB. So if I delete the boot partition in Linux mint will it remove Grub from the boot sequence so I upgrade Windows then reinstall Linux 21.2. If not what do I have to do the remove the dual boot from Window point of view so it will boot windows 10.

I would like to retain my /home partition, the rest can be re installed.
So it is a single SSD 1 TB with two windows partitions at the beginning, then Linux Boot partition, Root partition, free space, Home partition, & swap partition

So I guess I am asking how to get rid of the dual boot so I can upgrade Windows from 8.1 to 10, then re-install mint 21.1 and leave my home partition on the SSD and as many other partition on the SSD.

Any suggestion on how to do this.

Thanks Norris or handle Lakeman
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Upgrading Dual boot system - Problem with Windows 10 and linux

Post by deepakdeshp »

This isn't a dual boot problem. I did update from Windows 8 to 10 on a dual boot laptop without any problems.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Since it's a windows problem ,please post in Windows forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Crito
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Crito »

It's not GRUB's fault, it's your partitioning scheme. Sounds like you're using legacy boot and not UEFI so I guess it's an older system. In any case, I'd make a complete backup of your files and use Windows install media to automatically repair the installation from the troubleshoot menu. That should remove GRUB and reinstall the Windows bootloader. I'm sure there's info on Microsoft's site on exactly how to do it so I'm not going to Google and copy/paste here.
LakeMan-2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LakeMan-2 »

I like to thank you all for your extremely useful help with my problem.

It was extremely enlightening.

Have a great day

SOLVED

Return to “Open Chat”