A TRIBUTE TO LINUX

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

A TRIBUTE TO LINUX

Post by npap »

To understand the essence of Free Software, read the following dialogue between Socrates and Antiphon (free translation of Xenophon, A Memoir, 6).

ANTIPHON: I believe that you are a righteous man. But I do not consider you wise. I think that even you yourself know that, since you do not receive money for your teachings. On the other hand, your clothing or your house or anything else of your possessions, if you think it has any monetary value, you will not give it to anyone for free, or even at a price below its value. It is therefore obvious that if you think your teaching has some value, you should collect the appropriate money. You may be just because you do not cheat out of greed, but wise you cannot be because you know things without value.

SOCRATES: O Antiphon, I think that selling someone's beauty and wisdom is obscene work. Because if someone is selling his beauty to whomever desires it, we call him a prostitute, but if anyone knows someone who is handsome in body and spirit, and befriends him, we consider him a wise man.
Exactly the same happens with wisdom. Those who sell it to those who want it we call them Sophists (Note: Sophists received money for their teachings). But anyone who understands that someone is intelligent and teaches him something good and makes him his friend, that man, we believe, is a good and kind citizen.

So, as someone else who is pleased when he has a good horse or dog (material goods), so I, in the same way and even more so, am pleased when I have good friends, and if I know something good, I teach it and recommend it to others who I think will benefit from this virtue.
And the treasures of the old wise men, which they leave written in their books, I study together with my friends, and if we see something good, we talk about it and consider it a great gain if, in that way, we become friends.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Re: A TRIBUTE TO LINUX

Post by blogger »

Elegance in freedom
timber

Post by timber »

http://www.socraticmethod.net/what_os_w ... es_use.htm

FOSS is a great example of "true democracy", I believe Socrates would highly approve of the concept and it's use.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

WHY LINUX?

Post by blogger »

How well is Linux known to the public? Read the article below.

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... world.html
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Credit is due to the pioneers of Linux:
Richard Stallman
Linus Torvalds

And a Happy Birthday to Linux

http://i.gizmodo.com/5169216/happy-15th-birthday-linux

Return to “Open Chat”