I need to introduce myself

Chat about just about anything else
Post Reply
User avatar
dwflo
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:32 am
Location: The Land Of Enchantment

I need to introduce myself

Post by dwflo »

Greetings All,

My name is David Florence, I am 61 years young and a disabled Vet. No wife and no children. :D
Been using computers since 1989, when DOS came on the scene, and Linux since 1994. Started with Mepis, then moved to Fedora. From there I currently have Mandriva/Ubuntu installation in one system and Mint/Windows7 on another.
I do not know code, but have enough sense to research, I gets me by. I am not afraid to mess with commands, that might jeopardize an installation, but this is how I learn. Try installing BSD or Slackware, one would think they are stuck in the past. A good knowledge of the command line and a reading of documents before any install of these.
May seem crazy to have several OS's installed, but one will win out over the others. Seems Ubuntu and many derivatives as Mint, have zero problems installing. The plus is the software availability, other distros do not offer anything close. I find restricted software from Ubuntu and Mint, installed as default, a plus. Looking for repositories in other OS's are limited, as well as having dependency issues. This requires installing the old fashion way with tarballs and console.
This all is a hobby, just to keep my mind sharp, as I do not get out very much, and, it keeps me from booting Window$. Sooner than later, that other OS may lose out. Just think of that extra hard drive I could use.
So thanks to all who put together Mint, think it will be installed for a while.

Cheers,
Dave
User avatar
Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9994
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Dave,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forum,hope you enjoy your stay here.
It's not at all crazy to have several distros installed at the same time,I use Mint and Crunchbang and learn different things from each of them. :D
Image
User avatar
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 708
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: Springfield, IL

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by bobcollard »

Hi Dave, Welcome to our forum. When I say "OUR" I mean everyone here. We all help each other out. I have to agree that having more than one Distro is not all that unusual. I myself often change Distros as often as I change clothes, but, one I always come back to is Linux Mint. I like things new and cutting edge. I also help out with Alphas and RCs by turning in bug reports. I find solutions and give help on the forums when I can. 65 and a 'Nam Vet with a background in Computer repair since MSDOS 2.7 and two five and a quarter floppy drives. Hope to hear a lot from you in the future on and around the forum. Again Welcome!
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64
User avatar
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4578
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:54 am
Location: Right about here

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Welcome Dave from a fellow 60 year old disabled vet.

I also started with personal computers when the first IBM system came out in the early 80's. 5..25 inch floppies, DOS, 64 Kilobytes of ram, and Lotus 1-2-3 was the killer app of the year. After a few years, I changed jobs and stopped using computers until about 18 months ago. Started with Windows Vista and migrated to Linux Mint within 6 months. Like you I use my computers as a means of keeping my mind sharp and retaining my learning skills.

I also run several versions of Mint, Windows XP Pro, Windows 7, Crunchbang, Sidux, Puppy, and just downloaded Macpup Foxy 3 because I'm interested in the Enlightenment desktop. I find something to learn in every distro I try but always return to Mint.

I hope you enjoy using Mint as much as I do. There are a lot of friendly, helpful people here in the forum. I am certain, with your background, you will be an active member.
Registered Linux User 483387
User avatar
npap
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1265
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:52 pm
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by npap »

Welcome to the Mint forums David, :)

I hope you will like it here.
Cheers,
npap
User avatar
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2913
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: /home/usa/mn/minneapolis/joe

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by JoeFootball »

dwflo wrote:I am not afraid to mess with commands, that might jeopardize an installation, but this is how I learn. Try installing BSD or Slackware, one would think they are stuck in the past. A good knowledge of the command line and a reading of documents before any install of these.
May seem crazy to have several OS's installed, but one will win out over the others. Seems Ubuntu and many derivatives as Mint, have zero problems installing. The plus is the software availability, other distros do not offer anything close. I find restricted software from Ubuntu and Mint, installed as default, a plus. Looking for repositories in other OS's are limited, as well as having dependency issues. This requires installing the old fashion way with tarballs and console.
Welcome! You sound a lot like me, and probably like many of us here. I too poke around in things I have limited knowledge of in order to learn about them, with only mild fear of breaking something beyond repair. Also, I have several Linux distros going, but my mainstay has turned out to be Linux Mint KDE. That said, I'm too curious to limit myself to ultimately just one. Anyway, your distro will choose you, not the other way around. :)
dwflo wrote:This all is a hobby, just to keep my mind sharp, as I do not get out very much, and, it keeps me from booting Window$. Sooner than later, that other OS may lose out. Just think of that extra hard drive I could use.
Years ago, I too started trying Linux "as a hobby", and one day realized that I had forgotten about Windows XP. It's still on a partition here if I find I really need it for something, but I can't even recall the last time I booted it. I've never used Windows Vista or Windows 7, and I doubt that I ever will. I still have a lot to learn in the Linux world, but that's a good thing.

Joe
Alex De Duck
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by Alex De Duck »

Hello there! I'm new too, nice to meet you.
User avatar
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4406
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to LinuxMint!! and the Mint Forums!

I'm a vet, as well. Semper Fi :mrgreen:

And I'm 61 years old. :lol: Except, I still work. :(

Land of Enchantment . . . ?? We're in the same state >> I are in Santa Fe.
Image
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
User avatar
dwflo
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:32 am
Location: The Land Of Enchantment

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by dwflo »

vrkalak wrote:Welcome to LinuxMint!! and the Mint Forums!

I'm a vet, as well. Semper Fi :mrgreen:

And I'm 61 years old. :lol: Except, I still work. :(

Land of Enchantment . . . ?? We're in the same state >> I are in Santa Fe.
Semper Fi, Nam 68-69 Northern I core 3/12HQ, FDC FCC.
I be in ALBQ

Dave
User avatar
dwflo
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:32 am
Location: The Land Of Enchantment

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by dwflo »

Thanks to all of you for the fine welcome, this encouragement entices me to return to this forum.
With that said, I hope to be an asset in some way. Do not know what that may be, as most of you are at skill levels much higher than mine. Don't worry, it does not discourage me.
As for test driving every active distro out there, I am able to eliminate those that do not satisfy me, or do not work properly on my systems.

Regards,

Dave
User avatar
Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9994
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by Oscar799 »

Dave,
Answering questions on the forum sort of creeps up on you.
I'd been on here 2 or 3 months before I started spotting the odd question I could help with,and much to my surprise they weren't always in the Newbie Questions section.
Give it a bit of time and the same will probably happen for you.
Image
User avatar
dwflo
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:32 am
Location: The Land Of Enchantment

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by dwflo »

I did it, took off Ubuntu, replaced it with Mint on my AMD quad core machine.
Why, you might ask? Let me tell you...very fast. I mean, it boots quicker than Ubuntu, shutdown is instant.
When I do some video processing, then I will have a better feel of Mint.

Happy Mint convert,

Dave
User avatar
timber
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by timber »

Welcome Dave,

I only have 5 distros on my laptop right now, LM Xcfe 7 CE, Mint 8 Main, sidux sid/squeez Xfce, then Mepis Antix and MacPup and XP :oops: in VirtualBox (XP is for IntelliCAD and NetFlix). So I sure won't knock your having multiple OS's on your system.
I like to install and use a distro until I find that I just don't use it any more then part ways and explore a few more.
All my Mint distros are stayin though ... they're keepers!
Growing attached to sidux also but it's a bit more work than Mint.

Aging Technogeek: I'm pretty interested in E17 also ... that little MacPup is pretty impressive IMO ... and fast as lightning.
Dave:

Samsung R580 laptop
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-glx driver
8 gig RAM
LMDE Cinnamon - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro LinuxMint 1 debian
User avatar
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7522
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by DrHu »

dwflo wrote:Greetings All,
My name is David Florence, I am 61 years young and a disabled Vet. No wife and no children. :D
Been using computers since 1989, when DOS came on the scene, and Linux since 1994. Started with Mepis, then moved to Fedora. From there I currently have Mandriva/Ubuntu installation in one system and Mint/Windows7 on another.
Excellent, so you bust the stereotype of "old man"

And seem to doing it rather well.
--keep going, I am sure you already have or will further develop that large amount of confidence that comes from knowing exactly what you are doing, even when you don't and being able to get out of most difficulties.

I also can match your own time-line, having started on Mainframes (MVS, and VM) in the early 1980's
--passing through SS-100 systems (Seattle DOS), dos, windows, and Linux (about the same time as yourself 1987 or so with Tannebaums book with Minux, and then the first Linux going through BSD (first non dos/windows OS), Suse, Gentoo, Mandrake and onto Mint: skipped Ubuntu, didn't like the style much, mainly because of the standard Gnome desktop Places/Applications/System, as I had been using Kde to that point)
sahanya
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:18 pm
Contact:

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by sahanya »

Hi Dave, Welcome to here.

Being a hardcore Windows XP user it took me a lot of years and convincing to finally appreciate using Linux. This occurred mainly because i started working a lot on our office Redhat box.
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2743
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:53 am
Location: Formerly of Kentucky, the land of Mint Juleps

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by dawgdoc »

dwflo wrote:When I do some video processing, then I will have a better feel of Mint.
Happy Mint convert,
Dave
If you have not tried it, give Openshot Video Editor a go. There is a thread about it in the Mint forums.

It is not currently in Mint. It is in the repositories for Ubuntu and can be installed from the PPAs to Mint8. It will be included in Ubuntu 10.4, Lucid Lynx, and I therefore expect to see it in Mint, at least in Software Manager/Synaptic. If you happen to be using Mint 7, Gloria, as I am, the best option is to go to the projects download page and install from deb packages to get the latest release.

It's biggest shortcoming IMO is that you can not capture from a camcorder, like a number of linux video editors. I use Kino to capture, then edit with Openshot.

Hope you find this useful.
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim
User avatar
dwflo
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:32 am
Location: The Land Of Enchantment

Re: I need to introduce myself

Post by dwflo »

dawgdoc wrote:If you have not tried it, give Openshot Video Editor a go. There is a thread about it in the Mint forums.

It is not currently in Mint. It is in the repositories for Ubuntu and can be installed from the PPAs to Mint8. It will be included in Ubuntu 10.4, Lucid Lynx, and I therefore expect to see it in Mint, at least in Software Manager/Synaptic. If you happen to be using Mint 7, Gloria, as I am, the best option is to go to the projects download page and install from deb packages to get the latest release.

It's biggest shortcoming IMO is that you can not capture from a camcorder, like a number of linux video editors. I use Kino to capture, then edit with Openshot.

Hope you find this useful.
Thank you dwagdoc

Dave
Post Reply

Return to “Open chat”