Hardware Upgrade question

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Helix the II

Hardware Upgrade question

Post by Helix the II »

I'm looking for your (fellow Linux Mint people) opinions for a new rig.

I'm not gaming via my PC... I haven't installed one (game) in over a year. I am running things such as Adobe CS3 (when I actually boot up Windows). And I'd like a rig that when I thumbnail a video over 1gb Nautilus doesn't freak out and freeze up on me (I currently only have 2gb of RAM).

First, I have a few components already that will go into the new rig:

Thermaltake - Spin-Q Universal CPU Cooler
Creative - PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series Sound Card (Which I think drivers exist for Linux from what I've read. Do you know otherwise? Please let me know!)
Nvidia GeForce 8800GT (as I said I'm not doing bleeding edge gaming any more)
Antec Nine Hundred case
Antec 850 Watt PSU

What I need opinions for is a processor and mobo. To be honest, I get lost here. I can't decide between the Intel Core 2 Quad and the Core i7. I know the i7 is beefier, newer, etc.,. but I'm wondering if it is too much processor for my needs (trying to talk myself down from buying the over priced thing).

Also, if I go with the i7, is the mobo included in this package at Amazon? http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Extreme-3-3 ... 367&sr=8-3 I honestly can't tell if it comes with the DX58SO mobo or not.

Anyone (know/think) this gear will fit into the Antec case? I'm worried about that and will the 800 watts be enough to power things.

Any other things I should look out for? It's been awhile since I've built a desktop and I could be overlooking something.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Helix the II

Re: Hardware Upgrade question

Post by Helix the II »

I'm also not worried about overclocking.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Helix the II wrote:I'm also not worried about overclocking.
:?:

To the OP, if you are not gaming then I would not go with top end stuff. I can only relate to AMD but I have found that the 9800 quad core is more than enough for any of my needs, including X-Plane.

It was Helix's post that got me looking at this thread because I used to overclock also, but I was going to say that I have not felt the need to do this in years now. The current crop of CPUs are plenty fast as it is. In fact, in your case I might have even looked at a lower wattage CPU and PSU. There really is no reason to run this massive amount of juice through the computer anymore. But...since you already have the PSU...

I would get what you can easily afford. The bigger the better of course, but I do not think you would be disappointed with any modern CPU.
Landmouse

Post by Landmouse »

Helix the II wrote:...I'm wondering if it is too much processor for my needs (trying to talk myself down from buying the over priced thing).
If you're not editing multiple high-res images or videos while browsing, compiling code, designing websites, all while running a 3D desktop via Compiz with all of the whiz-bang effects, you might be shooting yourself in the foot--or wallet as the case may be. :wink:
...is the mobo included in this package at Amazon? http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Extreme-3-3 ... 367&sr=8-3
The processor listed at the link provided does not come with a MOBO, although the two are compatible.
Anyone (know/think) this gear will fit into the Antec case? I'm worried about that and will the 800 watts be enough to power things.
Your case is ATX according to the specs on the Antec site, so that MOBO should fit. If you're worried about power consumption, try Antec's calculator at http://www.antec.outervision.com/.

I'm not sure what kind of memory you have already, but the standard for the MOBO you're looking at is DDR3. I'm guessing you already have optical drive(s) and other peripherals... Oh, also note that there are no PATA connectors on that board, which will affect you if you have older drives. You also might wanna check out the reviews on Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... Tpk=DX58SO

If you aren't a gamer or video editor, I think you can spend much less than you are planning. If you are just loaded and looking for something to do with your money, I'll PM you with my contact info! :P
Helix the II

Post by Helix the II »

FedoraRefugee,

The question becomes if you can afford it, "Why Not?"... That's the boat I'm in. However, going for the biggest and baddest has resulted in problems in the future, so... Besides, if I get a lesser processor the extra cashola can go towards my additional goal of 20TB space. I want both, but cannot justify both, heh!

Landmouse,

Yeah, I'll be purchasing some DDR3 ram... probably 12gb worth (just in case). I would be possibly editing high res imagery and designing webpages with Compiz settings so high my eyes bleed, but no compiling... yet. ;)

I do appreciate the feedback and opinions, as well. If you have any more, I'm all eyes!
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Helix the II wrote:FedoraRefugee,

The question becomes if you can afford it, "Why Not?"... That's the boat I'm in. However, going for the biggest and baddest has resulted in problems in the future, so... Besides, if I get a lesser processor the extra cashola can go towards my additional goal of 20TB space. I want both, but cannot justify both, heh!
True. There does come a time when the next step up is in excess of what you actually need. I understand. That is kind of what I was trying to say; I do not think you would be disappointed with a cheaper CPU. I would go for the storage myself, though what you would POSSIBLY do with 20TB :roll: is well beyond my comprehension! :P
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Most people don't seem to know that you can edit all video in low resolution and the changes will be applied to the final video highres result in CS3
  • Not only does that save system memory and resources, but it speeds up productivity
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401088.html
http://www.photoshop-pack.com/details/M ... High/10621
Landmouse

Post by Landmouse »

Helix the II wrote:... with Compiz settings so high my eyes bleed... If you have any more, I'm all eyes!
:lol: Now how are you gonna read this forum with your eyes all bloody? :lol:
Helix the II

Post by Helix the II »

Thanks for the heads up, DrHu, I'll check that out!

Landmouse, easily enough.... with a text reader! :twisted:

Return to “Open Chat”