Welcome to Mint!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
tower

Welcome to Mint!

Post by tower »

I have noticed that there are new members enroling on the forum every hour!

But there doesn't seem to be a thread just for folks to make their first post to introduce themselves, (if they want to) so I thought I would start one!

Welcome to Mint!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Minja

Re: Welcome to Mint!

Post by Minja »

Hi tower,

It's nice to meet you! Thank you for the thread. I'm sure people like myself will appreciate having one topic to introduce themselves rather than sticking out like sore thumbs with titles such as "Introduction" or "My Linux Experience".

Anyways, I already wasted forum bandwidth creating my own topic. :(
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

tower wrote:I have noticed that there are new members enroling on the forum every hour!

But there doesn't seem to be a thread just for folks to make their first post to introduce themselves, (if they want to) so I thought I would start one!

Welcome to Mint!
Have you noticed this, Tower? :) We used to welcome people here at one time, but the number of new members was growing so fast that it got to be an impossible task :(
But it's nice that somebody likes to keep it alive. :)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ers#p52674
tower

Post by tower »

Being a newbie myself I noticed that many new members seemed to go away without making a post.

Although some new members make the effort to say Hi, their posts soon seem to be lost amongst the more technical post and get few replies!

It can be daunting, making a first post on a forum that seems to made up of experts!

I just thought a thread that allows folks to break the ice with a brief introduction would be more likely to remain visible on the front page.

I hope it is OK and doesn't swamp the server!
Rifester

Post by Rifester »

Hi! My name is Mark and I live in Ohio, USA. I switched from Windows to Ubuntu almost one year ago. I completely installed Mint on my main machine last week (and joined the forum) Thanks to all of you who work on Mint. It looks and runs great!

Mark
ElliveN

Post by ElliveN »

and welcome from Kiwiland :-)
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

tower wrote:Being a newbie myself I noticed that many new members seemed to go away without making a post.

Although some new members make the effort to say Hi, their posts soon seem to be lost amongst the more technical post and get few replies!

It can be daunting, making a first post on a forum that seems to made up of experts!

I just thought a thread that allows folks to break the ice with a brief introduction would be more likely to remain visible on the front page.

I hope it is OK and doesn't swamp the server!
You are so right Tower,
I am glad that somebody besides me decided to post ¨welcome" messages to the newcomers in the Forum.

It is really frustrating to see that nobody answers to the knock on the door. :lol:
A warm welcome from me to you, Minja, ElliveN,Rifester, and all the new members who joined recently. :D
Greetings,
npap
Stealing_Lillies

Post by Stealing_Lillies »

I'm new to "Mint" as well. Thanks for the post, I am sure a lot of people will appreciate the welcoming. Having a family, a full time job, and all the added daily responsibilities an individual has - can consume much time and It becomes a pretty difficult task to learn a new distro and even more difficult to become a part of that distro community. So ya, thanks again for the post, Salute!
_h_

Post by _h_ »

Cool. :D

Anyway, I'm new here and also new to Mint. Switched over from Windows 7 Ultimate to try LM8 out for a little while. :D
XidCat

Post by XidCat »

Wow... Always aware that new people are joining the forum, but it sure seems like the numbers have been increasing steadily as of late. To all, welcome and I hope your Linux experience will be fruitful and educational. Wasn't long ago that I was new around here (but not new to Linux), and I have learned many things from the members of this forum. So, to all that are new here, some advice, you can take it or leave it...

-Linux is not Windows, there will be a learning curve, patience... :) See this post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=5714
-Give it at least a month before you give up, by then most of the bumps (if any) should be smoothed and you should be getting comfortable...
-Search the forum, I found answers to 99% of problems already here. If you can't find the answer here, try the Ubuntu Forum, most solutions to Ubuntu problems will also fix Mint problems.
-If you're still stumped, don't get frustrated, there are a lot knowledgeable folks in this forum. Ask, but help them to help you... see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=33561

The value of using Linux, as with all things in life, is directly proportional to the effort one puts into it... :wink:

Welcome and enjoy!
tower

Post by tower »

Good advice!
Don't be afraid to ask questions, you will find lots of helpful Mint users eager to help!
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Also if you can't find the answer to something specific, don't hesitate to make a new post and then send a private message to someone who seems knowledgable on the topic who can then potentially reply in the topic. As mentioned, a lot of people here have a lot of information and sometimes the answer is found by networking, not by searching.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

eh, why not? :)

My name is David, in my 30's, and i'm currently in Western Australia (surely i don't need to mention which country :P ). I've been hanging around for a little while, but having lost my job recently, have a lot more free time to haunt the place, see what tips I can pick up, and share what I know. This has proven itself to be one of the more friendly, and open communities/forums I've involved myself with, and am really enjoying my time here. I keep my toe dipped in multiple pools/distros/forums/etc, but I keep this place open at all times. It's like a friendly bar, where everyone is happy to talk and share. Cheers. :)
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Welcome Midnighter,
Glad to have you aboard. :)
Stop at the Mint Cafe for a virtual welcome drink. :lol:
Cheers, npap
badluckchild

Post by badluckchild »

Hello to all,
I am a complete newbie to Linux and Mint just rocks.
Great job!!
inolle

Post by inolle »

i just migrated to this glorious os myself and im quite glad i came here over some other distros :)
breley

Post by breley »

Hello everyone,

I've been an amateurish linux user for about 12 years, starting with Redhat 5.2. I've had experience with Redhat, Corel (yes, Corel) Fedora, SuSE/OpenSuSE, DSL, Puppy, Ubuntu and now Mint. So far very happy with the distro. I'd been partial to KDE for a long time, but Mint has changed my mind. 8)
Zwiebi

Post by Zwiebi »

Wow breley, I also started with Red Hat 5.2! Then I used Mandrake 8.1 which was great (and very stable :D). I tried Corel too, then changed to Debian for a long-long time. I tried every release of Ubuntu since the first one, but just like most distribution it became very bloated and unstable (the userspace apps) and that is not something what you first think when you hear linux. But fortunately I found Mint and so far this is a great distribution, a "true Linux".
Last edited by Zwiebi on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
breley

Post by breley »

Scary, isn't it, Zwiebi ? :lol:

In hindsight I wish I would have tried Mandrake at one point; it was a friendly distro from what I recall. I've tried to warm to Ubuntu, and I run the remix on my netbook, but for my Dell 1640 I just prefer Mint.
tower

Post by tower »

Corel Linux, that was quite an Idea! They had a good graphic package and had bought in an office suite.
At the time it seemed they were going to be one of the big players.
(What did happen to that Linux version of Correl Draw?)
It is quit a compliment to Mint that so many find it better than the alternatives, anyway welcome to Mint Breley!

Return to “Open Chat”