Chat about just about anything else
_h_
Level 1
Level 1

Open Source = Piracy.

Post by _h_ »

What do you think of this?

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/arrrggg-o ... rates.html
US lobby group is trying to get the US government to consider open source as the equivalent to piracy i.e. if you use open source software you are a pirate and that makes you an enemy of the state.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Open Source = Piracy.

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I don't think too much of it, it is hardly newsworthy. :D

A LOBBY GROUP is proposing this. There are also lobby groups trying to outlaw Toyotas, legalize heroin, Ban circumcision, and allow aliens free healthcare. No not people from other countries...OTHER PLANETS! So a handful of nutjobs think FOSS is piracy...Who cares? No one will take them seriously. :lol:
_h_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by _h_ »

FedoraRefugee wrote:I don't think too much of it, it is hardly newsworthy. :D

A LOBBY GROUP is proposing this. There are also lobby groups trying to outlaw Toyotas, legalize heroin, Ban circumcision, and allow aliens free healthcare. No not people from other countries...OTHER PLANETS! So a handful of nutjobs think FOSS is piracy...Who cares? No one will take them seriously. :lol:
Even if it is bogus, it is still something to think about. What would happen if open source were to become pirated software?
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

_h_ wrote:
FedoraRefugee wrote:I don't think too much of it, it is hardly newsworthy. :D

Even if it is bogus, it is still something to think about. What would happen if open source were to become pirated software?
We would all have to pirate it! :lol:

Listen brother, a year ago I would have laughed at the thought, but the way the US government is going...Nothing would surprise me.

For real, if it ever happened it would be challenged and would not hold up in court. Don't worry too much, this is the least of our problems. :D
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bobcollard »

What is this, The McCarthy Era? We already know Big Brother is Watching and Listening. You can't even take a whiz without him knowing it.
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64
XidCat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by XidCat »

If your bored.... here's last years 301 report. It's a handy guide to the best shopping places in the world... :lol:

http://www.ustr.gov/about-us/press-offi ... 301-report
Last edited by XidCat on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, Chapter 4
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

HAHA mi hearties

Get a life, read something more newsworthy.
Core i7 Dual GTX 960 Linux Mint 19.3 F@H Team Linux Mint 76140

STAY SAFE
chris0101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chris0101 »

Take a look at this:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news ... e-foss.ars

Apparently, the International Intellectual Property Alliance (the big group that contains the RIAA, MPAA, and a few others) wants the US to condemn nations that use OS a lot. Now that's hypocrisy for you.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

chris0101 wrote:Take a look at this:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news ... e-foss.ars

Apparently, the International Intellectual Property Alliance (the big group that contains the RIAA, MPAA, and a few others) wants the US to condemn nations that use OS a lot. Now that's hypocrisy for you.
Too much government in business AND way too much business in government. That is the problem! Everyone worries so much about separation of church and state we need to be worried about separation of business and state!
Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by Superewza »

Good job i'm not in the US then... not that there's any chance of us getting a half decent government anyway.
_h_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by _h_ »

Superewza wrote:Good job i'm not in the US then... not that there's any chance of us getting a half decent government anyway.
We had a pretty nice government when Bill Clinton was our President. lol
Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by Superewza »

_h_ wrote:
Superewza wrote:Good job i'm not in the US then... not that there's any chance of us getting a half decent government anyway.
Well we had a pretty nice government when Michael Foot was our Prime Minister. Everybody might not have liked him, but damn was he a good leader. As i see it though the only possible way we could get a government that cares about the country and not just themselves is if the Green Party gets voted in, which just isn't going to happen...
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

_h_ wrote:Even if it is bogus, it is still something to think about. What would happen if open source were to become pirated software?
Won't ever happen

Too many people and companies are invested in OSS, including Google and IBM
  • And Microsoft as a back door entry (Novell + Suse)
    --net framework, mono
I am more concerned about business and their partner/government that freezes out OSS software and applications, as well as those Operating Systems, like Linux (pick your distribution) in favor of the predominate OS of the day.
  • This is driven by advertising, lobbyists, as well as inertia/apathy..
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Superewza wrote:
_h_ wrote:
Well we had a pretty nice government when Michael Foot was our Prime Minister. Everybody might not have liked him, but damn was he a good leader. As i see it though the only possible way we could get a government that cares about the country and not just themselves is if the Green Party gets voted in, which just isn't going to happen...
The green party is the worst thing that could happen to you. But I dont want to argue that, especially in an unrelated thread. All I can say is study history. One thing though, the UK is in as much trouble as the US at this point, if not more. There was a reason why everyone wanted to come to our country for a couple centuries. Now? I wouldn't bother! I dont think it is any better here than anywhere else these days.

Clinton? I have many problems with his presidency, but man, I would give ANYTHING to have him back in office at this point. Hilary might not have been too bad either. And McCain would not have been much better than what we got. 2012 should be huge, it is a turning point. I just hope we turn the right way!
DrHu wrote:Won't ever happen

Too many people and companies are invested in OSS, including Google and IBM

And Microsoft as a back door entry (Novell + Suse)
--net framework, mono

I am more concerned about business and their partner/government that freezes out OSS software and applications, as well as those Operating Systems, like Linux (pick your distribution) in favor of the predominate OS of the day.

This is driven by advertising, lobbyists, as well as inertia/apathy..
At THIS point in our country the only thing government can freeze anything out of is itself. Private business is still private though with what is happening with the buy...er...bailouts, we are looking right down the barrel of the government gun.

But the one and only good thing about this administration is they seem to at least acknowledge FOSS. I have to give credit where credit is due. I do not think we have any fear of the anti-FOSS lobbyists under this administration at least. They are in bed with a whole different group of people.
Roin

Post by Roin »

_h_ wrote:What do you think of this?

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/arrrggg-o ... rates.html
US lobby group is trying to get the US government to consider open source as the equivalent to piracy i.e. if you use open source software you are a pirate and that makes you an enemy of the state.
Haha, I always wanted to become an enemy of the united states by using "free" software, living a "free" life and supporting "free" people LOL

Just a small joke, but I think its rather funny :D

Greets,
Roin
SteveW
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SteveW »

Superewza wrote:Well we had a pretty nice government when Michael Foot was our Prime Minister. Everybody might not have liked him, but damn was he a good leader.
Michael Foot was Prime Minister? I think you'll find he was leader of the opposition from 1980 to 1983 when he got twatted in a general election by Maggie Thatcher. He was only a damn good leader if you want to be lead into oblivion.

Both Labour governments I've had in my lifetime have lead the country to bankruptcy, then the conservatives (and I don't really like them either) get their names blackened because the have to do whatever's necessary to sort out the damn mess.
Superewza wrote:As i see it though the only possible way we could get a government that cares about the country and not just themselves is if the Green Party gets voted in, which just isn't going to happen...
Peel off the thin green veneer and you'll find a bright red interior.

Anyway, back on topic, the EU is positively promoting FOSS as are the current up and coming economic powers China, India, Brazil, Russia so America will only disadvantage themselves if they ever adopted such a policy.
Chasester
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chasester »

FedoraRefugee wrote:
Superewza wrote:
_h_ wrote: Clinton? I have many problems with his presidency, but man, I would give ANYTHING to have him back in office at this point. Hilary might not have been too bad either. And McCain would not have been much better than what we got. 2012 should be huge, it is a turning point. I just hope we turn the right way!
Matter of perception. I see #42 as the beginning of a long downturn.
But the one and only good thing about this administration is they seem to at least acknowledge FOSS. I have to give credit where credit is due. I do not think we have any fear of the anti-FOSS lobbyists under this administration at least. They are in bed with a whole different group of people.
Until a labor union turns anti-FOSS.
youth is certainly wasted on the young.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Chasester wrote: Until a labor union turns anti-FOSS.
Heh, yeah. Andy Stearn says... :P

I am so mad right about now... :twisted:

But, that is for another thread, another forum...Another website... :D

Return to “Open chat”