Songbird drops Linux support

Chat about just about anything else
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Looks like all those who were pushing for Songbird to replace Rhythmbox will have to reconsider now.

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ ... 69934.html

3 April 2010, 10:23

The developers of Songbird, the open source and cross platform media player, have announced they are dropping Linux support. In an announcement on the company blog, VP of Engineering Georges Auberger said that "After careful consideration, we’ve come to the painful conclusion that we should discontinue support for the Linux version of Songbird". Auberger cited prioritisation issues for the small engineering team which have meant that the Linux version of Songbird has fallen behind the other versions on Windows and Mac. The company has therefore decided to focus on the Windows and Mac versions and delivering new features and device support on those versions.

"We can’t stand to see our Linux product be anything less than outstanding. Unfortunately, we can’t make that happen right now" said Auberger, "this is one of the most painful decisions in the history of the company". Songbird will keep the build infrastructure and developer wikis running for a Linux version but Linux versions that come from this will not be tested and may not get newly developed features. Initial reaction to the decision, in the comments to the blog posting, was overwhelmingly negative with some suggesting that Songbird's deal with Philips, announced in January, may be driving the developers' priorities.

Songbird plans to deliver the next version of the player, NOFX, at the end of the month. Songbird NOFX for Windows and Mac will add MPEG4 and WMV encoding, support for two more handsets and improved stability; Auberger says that future plans include full support for Windows 7.

-------------

Well, don't that just suck? We're relegated to 2nd/3rd class once again. Not worth the effort it seems, windows market is clearly "easier" for them. :(
XidCat
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Songbird drops Linux support

Post by XidCat »

It's Open Source, maybe somebody will pick it up and run with it... I hope...
"Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, Chapter 4
GhoS
Level 3
Level 3

Post by GhoS »

My favorite player on Linux :(
piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by piratesmack »

I prefer Amarok, but still, that's disappointing
TracerBullet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TracerBullet »

Quite disappointed to see this happen, songbird was a great all round player.

As someone said above, hopefully somebody else will take it on.
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by badmotor »

Real sad news for my favourite player.
Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by Superewza »

Couldn't they have dropped Mac support? Then you've still got the huge userbase of Windows and the better of the Unix based OS's.
beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by beefstu »

My favourite media player too, luckily the community has responded and Songbird for Linux is not dead! http://getnightingale.org/

Ahhh the beauty of FOSS!
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

Songbird plans to deliver the next version of the player, NOFX, at the end of the month. Songbird NOFX for Windows and Mac will add MPEG4 and WMV encoding, support for two more handsets and improved stability; Auberger says that future plans include full support for Windows 7.
That is what happens when an FOSS company develops a good product: either company sharks are trolling to capture/takeover or buy-you-out you, or you are forced by your interests and market considerations to abandon the community and source..

I could say the same thing about xaralx, which is a pretty good graphics software product..

Anyway c'est la vie.
coman norbert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coman norbert »

I prefer Audacious2. I hate Mac OS like players. AIMP2 is the best music player i ever seen, but is only for win and I'm not use windows for two years. I use Mint Xfce and Xubuntu. Sorry for my english.
GhoS
Level 3
Level 3

Post by GhoS »

I'm saddened that Songbird isn't going to continue direct support for a Linux version, but glad that Nightingale seems to be continuing on. It appears as though its like a fork but more like parallel development and may merge again with Songbird according to the site.
I was concerned that eventually I would have to replace Songbird. I have tried other players and they just don't have the versatility of the skin system or add-ons.
I'm so used to being able to change a lot about the player that even Amarok which overall does a good job, it is lacking in many areas to what Songbird offers.

Return to “Open chat”