subwoofer

Chat about just about anything else
kandaly
Level 1
Level 1

subwoofer

Post by kandaly »

What would happen if someone made a pressurized subwoofer box? Just curious... If someone was to make a sealed subwoofer box to where they could put air pressure inside of it what would happen to the SQ of the sub?
Last edited by kandaly on Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Re: subwoofer

Post by Superewza »

Aren't the best sounding enclosures in a vacuum?
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Re: subwoofer

Post by det4100 »

I'm not an audio expert, but I don't think one can pressurize a speaker box, unless they construct a separate compartment inside the box that is airtight. Let's say it is possible to pressurize the box, without the air escaping through the speaker, or blowing the speaker out of the box. (We are talking about speakers. Right?) The pressurized air would distort the sound by limiting the movement of the speaker. Same result as tightening the skins on a drum. That would be the direct effect. More interesting is the pressurized compartment scenario. Since the sound waves from a speaker need air to travel and the waves emanate from both the front and back of the speaker, what would the sound wave do when it reached the pressurized compartment. My guess would be that sound waves would be compressed, causing a pitch change, and travel faster through the pressurized container. If the goal is to prevent audio loss from the rear of the speaker, then maybe having the separate container behind the speaker would be beneficial, but one may experiment with different gases other than air, or even a vacuum, to see (hear) the effect. Or, we could google it and see what really happens. :lol:
det4100

Running Mint Debian

Return to “Open chat”