Questions for IT professionals and network guys...

Chat about just about anything else
bigBuckets
Level 3
Level 3

Questions for IT professionals and network guys...

Post by bigBuckets »

I work for a small mom-n-pop shop and because I'm the resident computer enthusiast (geek, nerd, whatever) I have held the title of IT Manager for the past 5 years. I'm responsible for managing the entire network which consists of 13 Windows computers which I do basic weekly maintenance for updates, defrag, ccleaner, registry scans, and malware/virus scans. I fix any complicated issues via google search coupled with my past computer experiences.

I'm now searching for a new job and better opportunities in IT management & support so my question for current IT pros is...

I'm I a "fraud" for solving issues via google search? Do I need to troubleshoot and solve issues only by my own knowledge, unassisted? I don't have a BA in a computer related field, I'm just an advanced computer enthusiast.

Many thanks in advance...
Cyberdyne Systems Model 101
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Questions for IT professionals and network guys...

Post by Biker »

Hell, how do you think WE get the answers that stump us? :lol:

It doesn't matter what you know, there will always be an issue that pops up that will make you sit up and go HUH?!!!!. Someone else has most likely gone through it, and hopefully, you can find it via Google. No shame in looking for the answer.

Before the days of the Internet, I had rows and rows of books and manuals that I could reference. Not any more! Fire up Google and do a quick search for the answer.

Edit -- A little bit of schooling wouldn't hurt your chances of snagging a better position, though. Certifications are always nice to have. Currently studying for my LPI certs. May not use 'em, but they'll be nice to have.
Linux User #384279
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

Many of us here are just computer enthusiasts as well, not IT pros, hehe. As Biker said, I think there's no shame in searching for answers if you don't know something. As far as I know, there aren't any jobs out there that don't allow you to search Google (or ask questions in another way or form) if you don't know the answer to something. That being said, if you're "searching for a new job and better opportunities in IT management & support", well, depending on how large of a network you want to manage, you might need to be more than just an "advanced" computer enthusiast. Kind of hard to tell without exactly knowing what job you're planning to apply for.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
bigBuckets
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigBuckets »

Thanks for the replies. I've been searching the local craigslist for IT support positions, similar to what I'm doing now -- software installs, hardware repair/replacement and general maintenance. I also have experience in web and graphic design.

I see calls for Level 1-3 Technical Support and I've been trying to determine what I'm qualified for. I've read the wiki on it, but don't know what each level may specifically entail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_support

I'm guessing Level 1 (help desk) and Level 2 might fit.
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

Level 1, maybe. Level 2 usually entails a lot more of the nuts and bolts, under the hood type of thing. This is where you start getting into routing, packet shaping, and general networking. You should know what's entailed for a certified Cat 5 installation, as well as basic security practices.
Linux User #384279
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

This is one of my favorite new writings:

Definition of a Linux Adventurer:

They are not scared to try something new or different.

They are willing to pick a random button and click it ...

To open a terminal and type gibberish they do not understand and hit 'enter'.

To type endless key words into Google, until they find relative direction.
Then, to try each method until one works
or until they "b0rk" their OS so bad they have to start over.

To do a 'fresh' install, again.

They are not scared to screw up ... they just do it.

:lol: . . . . . . . . fits this topic so well.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
Chasester
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chasester »

The CIS guys probably will not agree on their value.

But - what certifications do you have? If none, some to think about would be A+, Net+, Security+, CCNA, MCSA(E)
youth is certainly wasted on the young.
bigBuckets
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigBuckets »

Excellent info. No certs yet, but I will look into it...

Thanks to all who posted.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

bigBuckets wrote:I work for a small mom-n-pop shop and because I'm the resident computer enthusiast (geek, nerd, whatever) I have held the title of IT Manager for the past 5 years.
It won't necessarily cut it for an enterprise, but other small businesses will likely welcome you

And no, knowing how and where to find data relevant to a problem you are investigating does not make you a fraud or fakir
--even if some people like to pretend it does, you know the "know it all types.."

About certification certificates
--go for the highest level you can manage, since picking a lower level will only relegate you to the jobs related to that level of certification: so, for example A+ is a pretty meaningless certification and is a base level, barely above tinkerer or computer enthusiast

And since your are an IT manager of whatever stripe, if you want the cash rewards go for IT management positions, even if that involves less troubleshooting, which you may enjoy
--something like help desk manager or analyst, depends on how you present yourself..

Return to “Open chat”