Cumbria shootings cum creation debate thread. Happy?

Chat about just about anything else
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cumbria shootings cum creation debate thread. Happy?

Post by Old Marcus »

Feel free to carry on the debate, just remember it is happening in a thread originally about the mass murder of 12 people.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

mzsade wrote:
Evolution is not an answer to the question "how did everything get here." It's an answer to the question "how did life come about." There is a big difference.
Aah! just a process among many possibilities then, certainly not something to hold onto with religious conviction. :lol:
There is no religious conviction involved with evolution. That is like saying it is a religious conviction to "hold on" to gravity. Nothing more than a stupid notion from someone who has no idea what they're talking about.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

Dogma. :idea:
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

OldMarcus, I give up, won't come back to this thread. I pay my respects to those slain senselessly in Cumbria.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
nukm

Post by nukm »

Old Marcus wrote:For the <<<Yanks>>> here, this is fairly tame, but for us, the last mass shooting was the Dunblane massacre in '96, which led to the banning of nearly all forms of guns.

So far, the suspect is a taxi driver, who has been found dead. I'm betting this has gone the way most of them do, shoot lots of people, then shoot yourself.

13 dead including the gunman, 25 injured.

Read more.
Pommie.
nukm

Re: Gunman goes on ramage in Cumbria

Post by nukm »

Old Marcus wrote:Do you have extensive experience of shooting while being shot at out of the blue? No? Thought not.

In your home, I can see the advantage of a firearm. It makes a burglar think twice before burgling, but out in the open, if some loony opens fire, I doubt most gun owners, even if they had a gun on them, would be likely to immediately return fire. Unless you have been trained, incidents like this take you by surprise.

In the UK, it is illegal to defend life with "deadly force", especially with a firearm. You folk cannot put an extra tin into the trashbin without getting a ticket.
nukm

Re: Gunman goes on ramage in Cumbria

Post by nukm »

Old Marcus wrote:Both those incidents involve people defending property. A similar thing happened here a few years ago, a guy killed a man who was trying to kill him. The victim got off on grounds of self defence, no guns involved. Guns are rarely used in crimes in the UK, and when they are, they are normally gang killings that happen without warning, no chance to react. Even when our gun laws were looser we had few gun crimes compared to other forms of crime. In the US, a gun is probably a good idea, as is a machete in Columbia, but here, guns just aren't needed. Knives are a far more common weapon to be threatened with and to be honest, most of the people that wave them around haven't a clue how to use them, nor do they have the guts to use them.
Dunkirk.

Please do not ask us to save your disarmed nation for a third time. Thanks.

I have no objection to Pommies not having firearms.

I do insist that the Irish and Scots be allowed all the firearms they desire.

Before everyone is "up in arms" (sorry), the Pommie insulted US citizens in his first post and continued. I know about "Pommies" and the "Goon" squads used to starve Irish for 5 years (mendaciously mislabeled -aka "the Potato Famine) wherein they starved approximately 5 million Irish.

Unfortunately, the US itself is engaged in Empire and will be destroyed for its excesses.

But, meanwhile, I take no guff from cheeky Pommies. I note also that it is the Pommies who quite appropriately came up with the expression "bugger off".

What does all this crap have to do with Linux?

And for those professing Christ here - the proverb cautions not to answer a fool after his own folly. Wise up. It is the Gospel of God concerning His Son Messiah Yeshua which is the power of God unto salvation - not your lame grasp of the essentials of Physics (evolution nonsense) or Geology (entrenched, self-interested evolution nonsense). Western dogma concerning physics as taught in the universities is laughable and lamentable.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Old Marcus »

What. The. Hell.

The use of the term "Yanks" wasn't derogatory, just a slang term. No one else took offence, why do you?

Last time I checked the Americans had sweet FA to do with Dunkirk, you didn't get into the war properly until Pearl Harbour was bombed.

Who are you to insist that the Irish and Scots absolutely must have firearms? Bearing in mind that most of Ireland is independent anyway, so has bugger all to do with us.

The potato famine, no matter how nasty, was centuries ago. I am of course profusely sorry for something I had absolutely nothing to do with.

In the UK, you can defend your life with deadly force, as I said earlier, a man was acquitted under self defence laws because the man he killed was in turn trying to kill him.

I know many reasonable and intelligent Americans. You are not one of them.

Of course, you could just be spouting crap for the hell of it to make me rise to the bait. Well done, you succeeded.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Oscar799 »

This discussion is getting overheated.
Please cool it down a bit.
Thanks
oscar799
Forum Moderator
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Old Marcus »

Could a mod close this thread please? Thanks.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Oscar799 »

Thread locked at the request of the OP
oscar799
Forum Moderator

Return to “Open chat”