Reasons You Hate Windows

Chat about just about anything else
MintyFree
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Reasons You Hate Windows

Post by MintyFree »

iironjade wrote: Re-read your post: the phrase "my Computer" appears several times. Common sense will also prevent infections when downloading Smut etc. Norton is a waste of money, up to date or otherwise.
It's not me who chose to put Norton on there, I know it sucks. If it was up to me I'd put Avast on there.
Monster Desktop: 4GB DDR2 RAM/2.5 GHz AMD Phantom II Quad-Core/ATI Radeon 4200 with 512MB of Memory
Betamine: 756MB DDR RAM/1.8GHz AMD Sempron +3000 Single-Core/SiS -something- with like 16MB of Memory
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

It's not me who chose to put Norton on there, I know it sucks. If it was up to me I'd put Avast on there.
Been using Avira for years on my Wife's Windows machine, never had a single problem.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

MintyFree wrote:Having a successful operating system is about three things "Developers, Developers, Developers!" but one thing I don't get is why the devs back Windows. It's a horrible Operating System and most people who've seen the light of Linux (or even Mac) and see the faults in this OS. This here thread is devoted to these faults, write Windows horror stories, rants or just reasons for your general dislike of this bugtastic thing here. Below are a few stories of my own

As we speak I am scanning my computer with Malwarebytes, 195 infections so far. This computer has been slow as hell for a while as well as infected as hell for a while. The problem is that the advertised anto-malware that computer novices know about suck horribly (Norton, Norton and Norton) and the ones that don't suck freak people out because they think it's just more malware. Now I'm stuck trying to use the free version of Malwarebytes behind peoples backs even though they're paying for Norton. Meanwhile if we were just using Linux we'd never have this problem because the other people using this PC don't download screensavers and probably couldn't figure out how to download a virus for Linux.

____
AMD
-----
My old Linux box used to run a legit copy of Windows XP SP2, one day I decided I should update to SP3. My computer stopped working and I had to go to safemode and uninstall it, figure out what was going wrong, reinstall it, then boot into safe-mode and edit like 2 or 3 files so it'd work for my processor because for some reason they decided "Screw non-Intel users" which just doesn't make sense, they literally had to put in extra effort to make SP3 non-compatible with AMD. WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY DO THAT?!?!?!?!?!

So I'm using my at-the-time Windows PC and after getting tired of my computer being OD slow I use Tiny XP. That's right, I switched from my legit copy to Tiny XP because the legit one sucked so bad and even with Tiny XP I could only run at most three programs. Two of those ended up being Spybot S-n-D and Avast. I hated this computer, it was slow and I had to quit using Firefox to use Pidgin or Frostwire. Then one day I get a virus despite having Firewalls and Avast and Spybot. About that time I've used Ubuntu in the past but wasn't really a fan but I heard of Linux Mint and decided to try it. That was back in January and I've been a Linux user ever since because I could run 10 programs and none of them needed to be anti-malware.

If I accidentally cussed show me where so I can edit this.
195 infections? What are you installing and what websites are you browsing? Sheesh! If you only install legal software and visit legitimate websites then there is a slim chance that you will get malware, let alone 195 instances of it.

There is no compatibility issue with AMD processors and Windows XP SP3 but my question would be why are you using it? Windows XP SP2 is no longer supported by Microsoft, it's 6 years old. Show me a 6 year old Linux distro that is still supported. Good luck. Windows 7 is actually a very solid OS that is stable, has modern driver support and has great visuals and functionality.

Avast is not a good AV program at all. It used to be one of the better free versions but it has slipped quite a bit in detection of known viruses and has poor heuristic analysis. It also might explain poor performance because it tends to scan every file loaded in the OS even if that file has not changed and was previously scanned.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

axel668 wrote:I hate Windows because ...

... I have to call Microsoft when I put a new CPU or graphics card in my PC Activation should be automatic over the internet. Changing out your graphics card shouldn't cause re-activation but a CPU will because it is a major component. Microsoft has done this to fight pirating.
... It takes 10 minutes to boot (Vista) It shouldn't take more than 45-60 seconds if you have 2GB RAM or more.
... the new explorer is the worst file manager EVER (Vista) I found it to be quite easy to use and superior from the previous Windows XP explorer.
... it sometimes takes MINUTES to delete 2 or 3 desktop shortcuts Must be a problem of something you caused. This is not normal.
... I have to reboot 5 times a day, because something is ALWAYS updating (Windows, Office, Flash, Adobe Reader, Java, McAfee, YOUNAMEIT) I reboot once a month after Microsoft releases OS updates. Office updates do not require a reboot. Flash, Adobe, Java are all not Microsoft products.
... IT can push updates at me without even giving me a chance to install later No, you can configure Windows Update to prompt you for updates, when to download and install them.
... scheduled Virus scans that use up all my system resources while I'm in the middle of something THAT is McAfee for you. No sane person would use it. I use MSE and it has a smart scheduler. Once a week it will scan but if I am using my system it will delay the scan.
... knowing that each click on an Email attachment could be my doom Don't open attachments from sources you do not trust. Scan attachments before opening. That's just common sense.
... having to re- install at least twice a year, because otherwise the system gets unbearably slow I have had Windows 7 running on my primary system since it was released. No slow downs and no need to re-install anything.
... crappy batch / scripting capabilities Aren't those application dependent?
... it cannot even create a decent softlink (XP) Fully supported in Windows VIsta and Windows 7.

and last but not least, I hate Windows because - on top of all its shortcomings - MS has the nerve to actually charge 200+ bucks for this #!§$%??! mess. I paid $109 for my license of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 at NewEgg. Not sure where you pull the $200+ price tag from?

PS: Wow that felt good ... thanks for opening this thread :)
My responses in blue. Really, you guys are as bad as Apple here.
MintyFree
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyFree »

JonM33 wrote: 195 infections? What are you installing and what websites are you browsing? Sheesh! If you only install legal software and visit legitimate websites then there is a slim chance that you will get malware, let alone 195 instances of it.

There is no compatibility issue with AMD processors and Windows XP SP3 but my question would be why are you using it? Windows XP SP2 is no longer supported by Microsoft, it's 6 years old. Show me a 6 year old Linux distro that is still supported. Good luck. Windows 7 is actually a very solid OS that is stable, has modern driver support and has great visuals and functionality.

Avast is not a good AV program at all. It used to be one of the better free versions but it has slipped quite a bit in detection of known viruses and has poor heuristic analysis. It also might explain poor performance because it tends to scan every file loaded in the OS even if that file has not changed and was previously scanned.
You're thick. SP2 came on the computer and when I upgraded to SP3 it didn't work, downgraded to SP2 again where I found the problem, downloaded SP3 again and booted in safe mod where I had to change every file that said intel because those were making SP3 incompatible with all non-intel processors. If I'm not mistaken that bug still hasn't been fixed.
Monster Desktop: 4GB DDR2 RAM/2.5 GHz AMD Phantom II Quad-Core/ATI Radeon 4200 with 512MB of Memory
Betamine: 756MB DDR RAM/1.8GHz AMD Sempron +3000 Single-Core/SiS -something- with like 16MB of Memory
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

MintyFree wrote:You're thick. SP2 came on the computer and when I upgraded to SP3 it didn't work, downgraded to SP2 again where I found the problem, downloaded SP3 again and booted in safe mod where I had to change every file that said intel because those were making SP3 incompatible with all non-intel processors. If I'm not mistaken that bug still hasn't been fixed.
No need to toss insults. That's generally where conversations STOP becoming productive.

Like I said, there is no problem with SP3 working on an AMD processor. I have ran numerous computers with AMD processors and Windows XP SP3.
piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by piratesmack »

Show me a 6 year old Linux distro that is still supported. Good luck.
Slackware 8.1 :)

Released in 2002 and the most recent security update was on Jun 30, 2010.
http://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/sl ... ngeLog.txt

One of the things I love about Slackware is that every release is 'LTS'
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I don't hate windows. I Just like enjoying my computing time doing things that entertain me rather spending several hours a week in maintenance each week :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Chris Weimer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chris Weimer »

piratesmack wrote:
Show me a 6 year old Linux distro that is still supported. Good luck.
Slackware 8.1 :)

Released in 2002 and the most recent security update was on Jun 30, 2010.
http://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/sl ... ngeLog.txt

One of the things I love about Slackware is that every release is 'LTS'
Fedora is another, and Red Hat of course by implication. And Debian's been around since the early 90s, and Gentoo is over 6 years old (came out about 7/8 years ago).
Dell Inspiron 1525 | 250GB HDD | 3GB RAM | Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs T5750 @ 2.00GHz (2) | Linux Mint 9
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

Chris Weimer wrote:Fedora is another, and Red Hat of course by implication. And Debian's been around since the early 90s, and Gentoo is over 6 years old (came out about 7/8 years ago).
While piratesmack did provide one that seems to always be updated, I didn't mean just a distro but a version. An example is that OpenSUSE 10.3 (2007) is no longer supported, Ubuntu 8.10 (2008) is no longer supported, Fedora 11 (2009) is no longer supported, Debian 4.0 (2007) is no longer supported, etc. Got it?
Chris Weimer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chris Weimer »

I do, apologies for the misunderstanding.
Dell Inspiron 1525 | 250GB HDD | 3GB RAM | Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs T5750 @ 2.00GHz (2) | Linux Mint 9
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

JonM33 wrote:Windows XP SP2 is no longer supported by Microsoft, it's 6 years old. Show me a 6 year old Linux distro that is still supported. Good luck.
SP2 or SP3 it's always Windows XP and for Windows XP "we still plan to provide support for Windows XP until April 2014" (Quote from the Microsoft site) And even Microsoft extends Windows XP downgrade rights until 2020! http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179109

About Linux distros, Chris Weimer talked about Fedora but he is wrong because the support for every version of Fedora is n + 2 and 1 month, so only 13 months as Fedora goes out every 6 months:
Maintenance Schedule

We say maintained for approximately 13 months because the supported period for releases is dependent on the date the release under development goes final. As a result, Release X is supported until one month after the release of Release X+2.

This translates into:

* Fedora 12 will be maintained until 1 month after the release of Fedora 14.
* Fedora 13 will be maintained until 1 month after the release of Fedora 15.
(Quote from the Fedora site)

But you have Red Hat (and its clones) for "a 6 year old Linux distro that is still supported". Read this:
And like it's an Enterprise distro the support of every version is much longer than 6 months like in Ubuntu. Also they support the old versions. "Each CentOS version is supported for 7 years (by means of security updates). A new CentOS version is released every 2 years and each CentOS version is regularly updated (every 6 months) to support newer hardware. This results in a secure, low-maintenance, reliable, predictable and reproducible environment." For example:
CentOS 2 (2002-05-17/2004-05-14): CentOS-2 updates until May 31 2009

CentOS 3 (2003-10-23/2004-03-19): CentOS-3 updates until Oct 31, 2010

CentOS 4 (2005-02-14/2005-03-09): CentOS-4 updates until Feb 29, 2012

CentOS 5 (2007-03-14/2007-04-12): CentOS-5 updates until Mar 31, 2014

(the first date is for the release of RHEL, the second for the release of CentOS)

Of course it's the same thing for Scientific Linux.
(Quote from another post of me in the forum about CentOS)

Version 3 from 2003-10-23 is always supported and the support for version 2 just ended! Great! :D

P.S.= I have/use CentOS on my main desktop... :wink:
Last edited by linuxviolin on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
wulunzun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wulunzun »

Hi all,

I have been using Windows for a long time. I like Windows XP as I find it very stable and good for gaming. I did try Linux a long time ago before the GUIs become so beautiful and gave up due to driver problems. I think the main problem with linux is always drivers. If only the hardware manufacturers are willing to write drivers for linux, not only for Windows.

Early this year, my colleague asked me to give linux another try. I installed ubuntu first and quite enjoyed the distro. But I always have tiny problems here and there, all the time. Like network not working, something wrong with USB ports, etc, etc. Then, I switched to Fedora and experienced the same thing. I spent so much of my time trying to resolve those issues that I was on the verge of giving up on linux again. I gave linux 1 final chance and searched the net for a nice, simple distro for people new to linux and found Mint. After I installed Mint, I'm totally sold on linux!!! I must say this is a very, very nice and user-friendly distro. Everything works straight after installation, which is something new for me after trying linux so many times!!! I couldn't believe it when I double-clicked on a flv file and it played beautifully without having me go through the trouble of installing codecs like ubuntu or fedora. So, here are my thoughts after using Mint and Windows 7 for a while.

Windows 7:
1. Very crisp and clear graphics. You notice the difference immediately from the wallpapers. Not sure whether it's a difference in the quality of wallpapers or the driver written for my laptop's graphics card is better for windows than for linux.

2. Gaming, the main reason why I still have Windows. I play a lot of games and I must say without Windows, games will not progress and evolve so fast and always pushing at the limits of hardware available.

3. Microsoft Office 2007 and up. This is the second reason why I still have Windows installed on my computer. I've used Open Office and MS Office extensively and I must say OO is still not as polished as MS Office. Especially after MS Office 2007 added in the SmartArt graphics. It makes my Powerpoint presentations and Word documents look so much better and professional. I need to insert a lot of equations and MS Office does this easily. Colour options in MS office has a lot more variety also compared to OO. I must say OO needs to do a lot of catching up compared to MS Office in terms of visual presentations.

Dislikes
1. Paid software. There is a huge difference between donating after using a software and paying upfront and finding the software sucks even though there's a trial version. It could be only me, but I find that I'm more willing to donate compared to paying for software. My donations can be more than what is being charged for a similar Windows software. Maybe I feel that programmers have different mentalities when programming for software that requires donations. They will try their best to provide good software so that people who use it will like it and donate more money. Could be me being biased. :p

2. Viruses and Malwares. Do I need to say more? So much resources hogged up just to ensure security for your computer. sigh....I have this conspiracy theory that MS can actually plug in all these holes in one go if they want to. But if they do that, what's going to happen to all those companies providing AV software? It's going to affect the whole business eco-system and the livelihood of people working in those AV software companies.

3. High system requirements. Same issue as point 2. So much system resources taken up just for the OS alone.

4. Have to hunt around the internet for software. It's not like linux mint where I can just open up the package manager and download whatever software I need.

Linux Mint

2. Most software is located in the package manager making downloading so easy.

3. Linux Mint is every better than Windows when it comes to working straight out of the box. I had such a difficult time getting Windows 7 to work on my laptop and I had to download so many drivers just to get all the buttons working. For mint, just update all the software after installation and I'm good to go. What a breeze!!

Dislikes
1. Drivers, drivers, drivers!! I'm having problem with my company's network printer. I have the driver but it does not work properly as there's no dialog box for me to enter my username and password to print. So I can't print from mint at all. I have to do my work in linux, then switch to windows to print it out. So frustrating.

2. Guess the rest of the dislikes will be the opposite of my likes for Windows. Namely, games and Office.

All-in-all, I guess without Windows, linux will not be in the current state. Reason being linux has to play catch up and in order to woo more users, they have to make sure it's easier and more attractive than Windows. So distros like linux mint appeared. Without Windows, linux may still be an OS with command prompts and crappy GUIs.

Keep up the good work Mint!! :D
MintyFree
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyFree »

wulunzun wrote:Dislikes
1. Drivers, drivers, drivers!! I'm having problem with my company's network printer. I have the driver but it does not work properly as there's no dialog box for me to enter my username and password to print. So I can't print from mint at all. I have to do my work in linux, then switch to windows to print it out. So frustrating.

2. Guess the rest of the dislikes will be the opposite of my likes for Windows. Namely, games and Office.

All-in-all, I guess without Windows, linux will not be in the current state. Reason being linux has to play catch up and in order to woo more users, they have to make sure it's easier and more attractive than Windows. So distros like linux mint appeared. Without Windows, linux may still be an OS with command prompts and crappy GUIs.

Keep up the good work Mint!! :D
You've mentioned drivers quite a bit and I don't think you get how easy it is. Companies don't have to make Linux drivers, they just have to let Linux developers develop. Most if not all drivers for Linux including Nvidia are made from other people. But companies are paid by Microsoft to keep 'em from doing that, that's the same reason schools use Windows despite the horrid uptime (computers go down almost daily at my school).

With games, well that's another story I guess. Linux has its own games that are 3D and free (as in beer and monetary cost). I used to play this game where you race Tron lightcycles and there are plenty of FPS games for Linux. The reason that Halo isn't for Linux though is because if you can't get it for Linux then you just use Windows. You'd have to quit Windows entirely and start sending letters to devs along with a group of other people saying "Hey, We're the Linux gamer community and we want games now!" and if you got enough people together to drop Windows and quit Steam and all that jazz the devs would cave in. I mean look at all the people who moved to Mac and what happened to Steam.
Chris Weimer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chris Weimer »

Steam is being ported to Linux soon. They already made an OSX port.
gizmodo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gizmodo »

euhm, lemme see..

first of all. BALLMER! that guy is an idiot and makes no sense. gates on the other hand, was a brilliant bussiness man.

-virusses

-NTFS

-illegal marketing tactics

-vendor lock in

-one license per seat
(i am NOT part of the gizmodo team or related to them, just before anyone askes;) )

"Beliefs become reality.”

" full time IRCjunk"
Bill Gates
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bill Gates »

gizmodo wrote:gates on the other hand, was a brilliant bussiness man.
Thank you sir
Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by Superewza »

I'd laugh if it actually was Bill Gates, just goes around on the Internet looking for any sort of praise :D
myspacecommassergio
Level 3
Level 3

Post by myspacecommassergio »

one thing i hate about windows is that it comes with a bunch of adware/promotional crap that's taking up potential hard space and is totally useless after 30days unless i crack it becuase I'm not going to pay for something like WORD when theres a free alternative on windows such ass Open Office. Plus the pricing for software is through the roof. It's not like Word = $20 no... it's like $100-350 or more depending on wich kind of word suite you buy (confused?????) how is that so expensive and stuff like Open office wich offers alot more stuff totally free? GTFO!!! no way! Then theres all the burner software(promotinoal) with only 1 that actually is activated (confused is with the dozens of other CD/DVD burner softwares for then?).........thats the worst of it in my eyes. Yeah viruses suck to but I barely get those I'm protected with firewalls and virus scanners. I don't know how the people who say they get over 400 viruses etc complain simply if your scanner isn't on and your not scanning what your downloading then I belive it's not windows but you who is not taking the precautions. Your bound to get a few viruses but 300viruses come on man...obviously your being careless. Even linux has viruses just it's more rare to find one. Then theres the case were a virus got uploaded into the Packadge manager that one time. IT HAPPENS on any system. DEAL with it. Other than that I don't dislike windows other than the lack of custimization becuase like others have said it is kind of boring staring at the same thing every day in different tones of colors. I don't hate windows it works just fine for me other than that. Ah Windows update is crap...thats the last thing i dislike about windows. Everything else is wonderful to me in Windows becuase soemtimes it downloads and BREAKS stuff that works(like my wireless driver, my mouse driver, my videocard drivers wich are custom from HP). My wireless didn't work right for 2 days. I had to roll back drivers. I have windows update DISABLED the red dialog box is ANNOYING AS HELL!!! Obviously i disabled it so it doesn't need to show that red box saying im at risk. I manually install updates...autmatic updating is a horrible feature they need to stop that and stop notifiying me to turn it on again. Other than that I love the file search in windows start. Best feature yet! Also another good feature is the ICON snap shot thing it does where it takes pictures of your icons but what happens is later when you open the same folder again it loads the icons super fast at the expesnse of hard drive space of course that can be gained back through Disk Clean up. It has some great features I wish linux developers would try to take in the goodness of windows and ignore the bad and implement stuff like this(wich is cool and makes the computer work faster) into linux becuase even linux could benefit from doing such thing. Just a non biased opinion. Linux has things that i absolutely cannot stand as well so the knife cuts both ways on this subject. All oses are cool with me but windows gets the job done so it's what i work with linux is like a toy for me and i love seeing what i can do with it. I'm always blown away by the fact that Linux is free especially Mint. I love the ideas of it and of people working together its such an awesome ideology. It's sad that major companies like google haven't taken this kind of attitude in and contributed to linux by having a dedicated team of developers create they're own Linux distro with added support for alot of things. Imagine if there was somethign like "Linux Google Mint" you know Google has the big bucks to make EVERYTHING work in linux. That would be cool wouldn't it? Then windows yeah wouldn't matter to me. :)
Chris Weimer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chris Weimer »

myspacecommassergio wrote:It's sad that major companies like google haven't taken this kind of attitude in and contributed to linux by having a dedicated team of developers create they're own Linux distro with added support for alot of things. Imagine if there was somethign like "Linux Google Mint" you know Google has the big bucks to make EVERYTHING work in linux.
Actually, Google already has. Not only is there the Android OS made by Google, but they are also working on Chromium OS.

Return to “Open chat”