Reasons You Hate Windows

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MintyFree

Reasons You Hate Windows

Post by MintyFree »

Having a successful operating system is about three things "Developers, Developers, Developers!" but one thing I don't get is why the devs back Windows. It's a horrible Operating System and most people who've seen the light of Linux (or even Mac) and see the faults in this OS. This here thread is devoted to these faults, write Windows horror stories, rants or just reasons for your general dislike of this bugtastic thing here. Below are a few stories of my own

As we speak I am scanning my computer with Malwarebytes, 195 infections so far. This computer has been slow as hell for a while as well as infected as hell for a while. The problem is that the advertised anto-malware that computer novices know about suck horribly (Norton, Norton and Norton) and the ones that don't suck freak people out because they think it's just more malware. Now I'm stuck trying to use the free version of Malwarebytes behind peoples backs even though they're paying for Norton. Meanwhile if we were just using Linux we'd never have this problem because the other people using this PC don't download screensavers and probably couldn't figure out how to download a virus for Linux.

____
AMD
-----
My old Linux box used to run a legit copy of Windows XP SP2, one day I decided I should update to SP3. My computer stopped working and I had to go to safemode and uninstall it, figure out what was going wrong, reinstall it, then boot into safe-mode and edit like 2 or 3 files so it'd work for my processor because for some reason they decided "Screw non-Intel users" which just doesn't make sense, they literally had to put in extra effort to make SP3 non-compatible with AMD. WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY DO THAT?!?!?!?!?!

So I'm using my at-the-time Windows PC and after getting tired of my computer being OD slow I use Tiny XP. That's right, I switched from my legit copy to Tiny XP because the legit one sucked so bad and even with Tiny XP I could only run at most three programs. Two of those ended up being Spybot S-n-D and Avast. I hated this computer, it was slow and I had to quit using Firefox to use Pidgin or Frostwire. Then one day I get a virus despite having Firewalls and Avast and Spybot. About that time I've used Ubuntu in the past but wasn't really a fan but I heard of Linux Mint and decided to try it. That was back in January and I've been a Linux user ever since because I could run 10 programs and none of them needed to be anti-malware.

If I accidentally cussed show me where so I can edit this.
axel668

Re: Reasons You Hate Windows

Post by axel668 »

I hate Windows because ...

... I have to call Microsoft when I put a new CPU or graphics card in my PC
... It takes 10 minutes to boot (Vista)
... the new explorer is the worst file manager EVER (Vista)
... it sometimes takes MINUTES to delete 2 or 3 desktop shortcuts
... I have to reboot 5 times a day, because something is ALWAYS updating (Windows, Office, Flash, Adobe Reader, Java, McAfee, YOUNAMEIT)
... IT can push updates at me without even giving me a chance to install later
... scheduled Virus scans that use up all my system resources while I'm in the middle of something
... knowing that each click on an Email attachment could be my doom
... having to re- install at least twice a year, because otherwise the system gets unbearably slow
... crappy batch / scripting capabilities
... it cannot even create a decent softlink (XP)

and last but not least, I hate Windows because - on top of all its shortcomings - MS has the nerve to actually charge 200+ bucks for this #!§$%??! mess.

PS: Wow that felt good ... thanks for opening this thread :)
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

I personally don't hate Windows.

I chose to move on.

Simple as that.

Best regards Keith
Bill Gates

Post by Bill Gates »

I don't hate Windows.
MintyFree

Post by MintyFree »

Actually after finishing the short scan (40-60 min) I had over 300 (possibly up to 500) infected files that I had to delete followed by a reboot. I'm going to run CCleaner a few times (it never gets everything the first go) then I'll run Malwarebytes again and another day I might go from SP3 to SP2 just to uninstall Internet Explorer followed by an update to SP3 and this computer might stop sucking.
MintyFree

Post by MintyFree »

Bill Gates wrote:I don't hate Windows.
I lol'd, thanks for lightening the mood Bill XD
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I don't know if I'd use the word "hate." But I'm sure glad I don't need to use it anymore.

+1 axel668's comments

Add:

- You pay hundreds of dollars for Windows but then you can only install it on one computer!
- You pay hundreds of dollars for Windows but then you need to pay more for other software, like for MS Office -- unless you spend time hunting around for freeware, like I used to do!
- No virtual desktops/workspaces.
- No logging into whatever desktop environment or window manager I'm in the mood for on a particular day -- it's always the same, boring Windows.
- Limited configuration options.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I don't hate Windows but I do hate some of Microsoft's practices.

Things about Windows that annoy me:

1) Have to pay for a license for each PC

2) Activation

3) Limited customization options

4) Too much maintenance, (malware scanning, cleaning out the junk files, defragging, etc...)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

I don't hate Windows.
BUT:-

- You pay hundreds of dollars for Windows but then you can only install it on one computer!
- You pay hundreds of dollars for Windows but then you need to pay more for other software, like for MS Office
-- unless you spend time hunting around for freeware, like I used to do!
Things about Windows that annoy me:

1) Have to pay for a license for each PC

2) Activation

3) Limited customization options

4) Too much maintenance, (malware scanning, cleaning out the junk files, defragging, etc...)
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

Pierre wrote:
I don't hate Windows.

- You pay hundreds of dollars for Windows but then you need to pay more for other software, like for MS Office
I don't get it.

Are telling me I should hate Windows?
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Personally, I don't like to use the word "hate," and I certainly find it hard to "hate" a computer operating system.

When I was using Windows, I did get things to a point where I ran a fairly clean system, without very many problems.

But I did worry a lot. Felt paranoid all the time. Those feelings ended once my systems became Linux-only.

I know that many people say that Windows 7 is very good.

Well, if a load of money gets dropped into my lap, I might consider picking up a spare computer with Windows 7 on it. Or I might even buy a Mac to play around with. I love computers enough to at least want to play around with those things.

On the other hand, I might just spend the money on something else, and continue on my merry way with Linux!
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

markcynt wrote:
Pierre wrote:
I don't hate Windows.

I don't get it.

Are telling me I should hate Windows?
I don't get it, either. Especially where I was quoted, but not acknowledged.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

My guess is it was taken out of context, and things taken out of context give an entirely different meaning. Maybe Pierre missed this part of the post, which is equally important, if it was taken within context:
I don't hate Windows but I do hate some of Microsoft's practices.
Not liking a company's business practices doesn't necessarily mean nor does it equate to not liking their product as well.

And like you, I do not dislike Windows per se, but I do dislike some of Microsoft's "unethical" practices as well. (Hate is too strong a word.)
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
lexon

Post by lexon »

I don't hate Microsoft. They got me to where I am today with PC's. If Microsoft did not exist, some other company would have. This just the digital world evolving.
Many people just like to hate something, anything. What a miserable way to exist. So much hidden anger that is very obvious.

Lex
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

300 infections sounds like poor housekeeping (or fake scareware warnings) on your part rather than a failing of Windows. Your Windows security must really suck to allow so much malware through. CCleaner is not meant to remove malware, it just gets rid of unnecessary files . Try Avast, Spyware Terminator or SpyBot.
Malwarebytes is ok for telling you after you get infected but not for preventing it.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

lexon wrote:I don't hate Microsoft. They got me to where I am today with PC's. If Microsoft did not exist, some other company would have. This just the digital world evolving.
Many people just like to hate something, anything. What a miserable way to exist. So much hidden anger that is very obvious.

Lex
+1 from Monkeyboy
Besides its all just software, how can I hate a bunch of 0,s and 1,s ?
MintyFree

Post by MintyFree »

iironjade wrote:300 infections sounds like poor housekeeping (or fake scareware warnings) on your part rather than a failing of Windows. Your Windows security must really suck to allow so much malware through. CCleaner is not meant to remove malware, it just gets rid of unnecessary files . Try Avast, Spyware Terminator or SpyBot.
Malwarebytes is ok for telling you after you get infected but not for preventing it.
I said it's not my computer. My mum managed to rack it up. I've used Avast in the past, my favorite but I've spoken of my 'issue'. Is there no such thing as an anti-viral that isn't a resource hog? Plus Malwarebytes is just what I needed at the moment, I had to clean the hell out of this computer. I know what CCleaner was for, I was doing general computer stuff like deleting stupid software I don't need and cleaning up the leftovers with CCleaner. The computer is a decade old running Norton with no re-installs too so I'm surprised it wasn't just a huge charlie foxtrot of viruses (like 1000+). Plus with what I use a computer for I have to use Linux or Mac (Smut and Piracy) which is why I do.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

MintyFree wrote:
iironjade wrote:300 infections sounds like poor housekeeping (or fake scareware warnings) on your part rather than a failing of Windows. Your Windows security must really suck to allow so much malware through. CCleaner is not meant to remove malware, it just gets rid of unnecessary files . Try Avast, Spyware Terminator or SpyBot.
I said it's not my computer. My mum managed to rack it up. I've used Avast in the past, my favorite but I've spoken of my 'issue'. Is there no such thing as an anti-viral that isn't a resource hog? Plus Malwarebytes is just what I needed at the moment, I had to clean the hell out of this computer. I know what CCleaner was for, I was doing general computer stuff like deleting stupid software I don't need and cleaning up the leftovers with CCleaner. The computer is a decade old running Norton with no re-installs too so I'm surprised it wasn't just a huge charlie foxtrot of viruses (like 1000+). Plus with what I use a computer for I have to use Linux or Mac (Smut and Piracy) which is why I do.
Re-read your post: the phrase "my Computer" appears several times. Common sense will also prevent infections when downloading Smut etc. Norton is a waste of money, up to date or otherwise.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Windows has created the richest person in the world.* That's enough reason to hate it.

Money = power, and everyone should be very wary of people who have most of it.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I don't hate windows. It has its uses. Convertxtodvd doesn't run well under Wine. I also use my windows partition to log into my wifi every month, cause if I use Mint to do it I get low throughput. If I use windows, I get low throughput in windows and high speed in Mint. Probably a problem on the wifi provider's end, but this way works fine for me. Day to day I only boot up in Mint 9 Main. :P
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Open Chat”