What silly things have you done? (on a PC)

Chat about just about anything else
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

What silly things have you done? (on a PC)

Post by Carl »

Thought I'd start a thread about some of the silly/idiotic things wev'e all done on a PC :wink: :lol:

I'll start with something I did actually quite recently :roll:

Basically I have a dualboot system setup with Linux Mint 9 and Windows 7 with a large shared NTFS partition in the middle, now Mint has a very small partition of just 20gb's so I'd changed the default download folders (complete/incomplete) of SABnzbd+ to point to the shared partition however the cache was still in my home folder (you can see where this is going... :oops: ) I'm currentley moving 13gb's of data to the shared partition to continue the download :? so I've only wasted about an hour :mrgreen:
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: What silly things have you done? (on a PC)

Post by JasonLG »

I do stupid stuff to my computer all the time. I think that if listed them all I'd hit the max character limit for posting :lol: Let me see...

I once while trying to ghost a failing HD wiped the wrong dive after the backup and had to start all over.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
idlekids
Level 1
Level 1

Post by idlekids »

Many years ago my Dad brought home an old pc from his work. I plugged it in but it didn't respond. 'Hmm,' I thought. I looked around and noticed a little red switch at the back of the pc. 'Maybe that's like an on/off button for the PSU'. So, I switched it and turned it on at the mains.

Poof, a little whisp of smoke erupted from the PSU.

Oh well. You live and learn.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

idlekids wrote:Many years ago my Dad brought home an old pc from his work. I plugged it in but it didn't respond. 'Hmm,' I thought. I looked around and noticed a little red switch at the back of the pc. 'Maybe that's like an on/off button for the PSU'. So, I switched it and turned it on at the mains.

Poof, a little whisp of smoke erupted from the PSU.

Oh well. You live and learn.
This is also one of my previous mental failures :lol: I did it the second week I had a new PC, just because I wondered what it did :roll:
Last edited by Carl on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by Superewza »

I had this P4 laptop i kinda inherited... well you know how they have horrible problems with overheating? Mine did, and it froze the OS (XP) every time. I had a way around this though, the only way to unfreeze it would be to press the power button. But of course, this would turn it off. So the first thing i did each time i booted up was open an empty notepad file and open the save dialog. Why is this silly? You mean other than the fact that it probably wouldn't have happened under Linux? Knowing what i know now it really needed a good clean out and probably reseat the heatsinks, but hey, ignorance is bliss.

Until it melts and stops working altogether, but hey :D
myspacecommassergio
Level 3
Level 3

Post by myspacecommassergio »

Silly things I've done with a PC? lol...install linux on it lol lol jk *runs* xD
deleted

Post by deleted »

I've symlinked files across multiple Linux installations, then removed (accidentally) the originals to save space.... The GUI filemanager didn't show the symlink.
-Hinto
piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by piratesmack »

Most recently I symlinked /bin/ash to /bin/sh.
Now I'm trying to make all the scripts on my system posix-compliant.

ash is faster than bash, so hopefully this will improve boot time.
thx1138
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thx1138 »

I'm doing the same silly things as in my windows years: Installing new software without acknowledging all the risks involved with that procedure. I was used to reinstall Windows monthly, i never ran into this trouble while using Mint and adding third party repositories, installing .deb files (that weren't recommended for ubuntu) or installing source packages.
The really silly part: I'm doing this within my productive installation and everything still works.
I assume the reason is i keep mintUpdate sticked to levels 1-3, but who know's?

Return to “Open chat”