Which Mobo/CPU combo should I go with?

Chat about just about anything else
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Which Mobo/CPU combo should I go with?

Post by jlr1701 »

Hey everybody,

A few months ago I decided to upgrade my system and enter the glorious i7 world. But... what I nightmare the upgrade experience has been! :cry: :cry: The MSI motherboard I originally went with, an X-58 Pro-E, was a slow piece of crap and I think I damaged the CPU (an i7-920) trying to get it installed in the socket. I had to use a LOT of pressure to get it in. I replaced the motherboard with an Asus Rampage II Gene that has worked for a while, but it has never overclocked very well which annoys the heck out of me since I bought a giant CPU cooler just for that purpose. I can't do any overclocking at all now as the board refuses to work if I try it. The ONLY thing I have set is the memory at 1600 MHz since that is what it is rated for. That has worked fine for a while but now every time I turn the system on I get a message that "overclocking has failed, press F1 to run setup or F2 to load defaults".

My frustration level is UP TO HERE!!! *waves hand over head* I've had enough troubles with this system. I can browse the Net, but that's about all. I can't even burn a CD reliably. K3b complains frequently about permissions issues with the DVD burner and Gnome Baker frequently fails as well.

I am ready to replace the motherboard and CPU but am strapped for cash. I think I want to go the AMD route since it is cheaper and I understand there is a lot of bang for the buck there, though I haven't used an AMD chip since I had a K6-2 system many moons ago.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations. What is the best AMD chip/mobo combo to go with that I can use my DDR3 RAM with and that is reasonably priced?

Many thanks in advance,

Jeff

P.S. Currently using Mint 9 Gnome 64-bit as my main OS. I am playing with Crunchbang Statler as well and use Windows 7 when necessary, which isn't often. :)
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives

eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Which Mobo/CPU combo should I go with?

Post by eiver »

I personally prefer AMD processors for my desktop computer, because they are cheaper, while I tend to use Intel for laptops. I never had any problems running Linux on AMD - and I have been using Duron, Athlon and Phenom...

jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

Well, I decided to just bite the bullet and get the top of the line stuff. I bought a Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition CPU and an ASUS Crosshair IV Formula motherboard from Newegg.com. I was gonna get them from Amazon, but Buy.com wouldn't ship the mobo to Alaska. :roll: So Amazon lost out on that sale for a really stupid reason as there is no longer any legitimate reason for anyone to refuse to ship here (or to HI or PR, for that matter). :roll: :evil:

It's coming FedEx 2nd Day air so it should be here soon! :D :D
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives

jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

eiver wrote:I personally prefer AMD processors for my desktop computer, because they are cheaper, while I tend to use Intel for laptops. I never had any problems running Linux on AMD - and I have been using Duron, Athlon and Phenom...
Thanks for the reply, Eiver. Good to know, since it's been ages since I ran an AMD system. :)

Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by Superewza »

i7 RAM is nearly all triple channel, not sure if it works in dual channel motherboards. Either way you shouldn't have to apply ANY force to install a CPU, it just sits in then (on an Intel socket) you lock it down. If you do then you should stop, because something is seriously wrong.

Anyway, as for suggestions it depends on your budget and where you are.

eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I agree. You should not need to apply any force to attach CPU to mobo. On the other hand attaching the radiator to the CPU usually requires using force - this must be done carefully in order not to brake anything. If you need any help with that, then uncle Google and aunt Youtube will provide you with tons of tutorials :P.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I use AMD processors also. I tend to favor Biostar motherboards because they provide thermal protection and their boards are very reliable. I have used 5 different Biostar boards and have never had a single problem.I have bought a couple of name brand computers over the last few years but the ones I put together myself seem to last a lot longer.

jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

Superewza wrote:i7 RAM is nearly all triple channel, not sure if it works in dual channel motherboards. Either way you shouldn't have to apply ANY force to install a CPU, it just sits in then (on an Intel socket) you lock it down. If you do then you should stop, because something is seriously wrong.

Anyway, as for suggestions it depends on your budget and where you are.
The Asus board I got takes triple channel RAM, so I'm hopeful that it will work with my existing memory. I had to apply a worrisome amount of force to install the i7 CPU on the MSI board I started out with, which is why I really wonder if I damaged it. Is it possible to damage a CPU and it still function at least to some degree? It's working at this moment, but I can't do any overclocking at all with it. Not sure if that is a CPU or mobo issue. But... it will be a moot point anyway tomorrow when the new stuff arrives!

jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

exploder wrote:I use AMD processors also. I tend to favor Biostar motherboards because they provide thermal protection and their boards are very reliable. I have used 5 different Biostar boards and have never had a single problem.I have bought a couple of name brand computers over the last few years but the ones I put together myself seem to last a lot longer.
Hey Exploder, I considered a Biostar board when I was shopping at Amazon, but not being familiar with them I wasn't sure whether to trust the brand or not. If the Asus board doesn't work out, I will give one of the Biostar AM3 boards a shot! :)

jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

The new motherboard and CPU arrived yesterday, and so far they are working great! :D :D :D

Had a major scare, though. I momentarily lost my grip on the CPU as I was taking it out of the packaging, and bent a few pins. :cry: :cry: That took me back to the good old days years ago when I've done that to Intel CPUs. I spent at least 30 to 45 minutes with a small screwdriver adjusting the pins until I got it to fit into the socket, praying the whole time that it would work and that I hadn't managed to destroy my new $300 chip.

To my IMMENSE relief, no damage was done and all is well. Whew!! :)

eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Yeah. I don't understand people, who buy complete PCs instead of assembling them from scratch. They are missing all the fun :D
Good job.

P.S. It is good practice to monitor the temperature of the CPU (both when idle and when under stress) to make sure that the radiator is correctly in place.

Return to “Open chat”