Officially removing myself from Google...

Chat about just about anything else
JonM33

Officially removing myself from Google...

Post by JonM33 »

I don't feel safe with them. So I am converting myself to other alternative services.

1. Uninstalled GTalk - only used it at my previous job anyway.
2. Cleared out my Gmail accounts - which took a while to get most of my website memberships switched to my new e-mail address. I'll do 30 days of auto-forwarding and then close them.
3. Changed default search engine.

Google used to be trustworthy when they were small, just a search engine. But now?
  • Their Google search engine tracks everything. Every search you make the IP address and search string is recorded in their databases. If you are logged into Google while you search, it is adding that to the tracked information. They even tied that to your credit card and banking information through Google Checkout. With websites you search for and go to, it attaches a cookie to your browser. I just looked on Opera and every single website had a Google cookie attached to it.
  • Their Google Chrome web browser installs a process in the background that tracks everything on your computer. It is the only application I have ever seen that will NOT give you an option of where to install it (ie C:\Program Files). It installs itself under YOUR user profile. Then it creates a process that runs at startup and that process tracks everything you do.
  • Gmail is all in the cloud on their servers. By default Gmail is set to keep e-mail if you use an e-mail client to check e-mail through POP3. They don't want you removing e-mail off of their servers.
  • Then you have the Android OS from Google to track cell phones. Google also has a GPS app.
  • Their Google Maps went around taking pictures of streets and Google Earth has layouts of military bases.
  • They are going around to major hospitals trying to take over as an IT resource, promising companies unlimited e-mail and storing company documents under Google Docs - all stored in the cloud. They are doing this to undermine Microsoft but why hospitals with patient information?
  • Their Google Talk application tracks every chat session you have.
  • The latest was Google Buzz - a social networking app built into Gmail. It allowed for people to publicly view your contact list. Google has continued with attempts by purchasing social networking app maker Slide. This happened just weeks after Google made an investment in social app leader Zynga.
  • Google Wave was a project for Google that failed but it was yet another social networking application.
Do you know how many companies Google has acquired that literally look as if Google is trying to take over the way the world communicates? It's all extremely intrusive.

"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. If you really need that kind of privacy, the reality is that search engines - including Google - do retain this information for some time and it's important, for example, that we are all subject in the United States to the Patriot Act and it is possible that all that information could be made available to the authorities." - Eric Schmidt, CEO Google
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Officially removing myself from Google...

Post by randomizer »

I am not subject to the PATRIOT Act. Screw you Schmidt. :)

Yea, Google has done well for itself. The company has a very good PR department and somehow manage to put on the facade of being freedom fighters. The Google vs China thing was great, as was Google's statement of "concern" over the Australian Government's censorship plans. Google censors stuff without a second thought all the time.
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

Right, well good luck finding a company you can actually trust to provide the services that Google used to provide you. I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but Schmidt is right...there's no use to pretend we still have any privacy left on the Internet. Extracting yourself from Google's clutches, and placing your data in the hands of Microsoft/Apple/Facebook, etc., won't accomplish anything in terms of protecting your privacy. Unless you've been living under a rock for the last few decades, your privacy is already long gone.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

If you follow that line of thought, is it better for one company to control everyone's information, or multiple companies to control a portion of it each?
suggsinfo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by suggsinfo »

What are some alternatives to Google, especially when it comes to e-mail? Yahoo!, AOL (!) and Hotmail are hardly any better. If only we could have a free e-mail service that was free as in freedom and not just free as in free beer.
Monarch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Monarch »

Jon you r right mate
for those that dont bother at all or have doubts about google intentions here is something you should read
http://www.p2pnet.net/story/42510
resuming
google earth as being using cars to take pictures of our streets
how ever the same cars were collecting wifi data from open wifi AP "without key (WPA WEP)"
for that now you r abble to track any one that as theyr AP router MAC_ADDRESS on the google database
by simply puting the mac address on google earth that will tell you exacli where it is
cool aint it ???
ok Privacie ended
but remember that your AP ad to be without Encrypt no pass
and the WPS on factory defaul ;)
i bet you know what i mean so yeah google is pushing a little bit far
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I understand a lot of the concerns about Google. I have a Gmail account and I use Google search. But I try to approach things as if there's no internet privacy. If I do that, then I feel like I don't have much to worry about.

I don't do banking online and it's extremely rare that I've ever purchased anything online.

Sometimes I think, "In 50 years I'll be long gone, so who cares what they know about me?" :lol: Heck, tomorrow isn't even promised!

Anyway, I don't worry about Google, but I can't blame anyone for taking necessary precautions, including completely removing yourself from Google.
Monarch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Monarch »

Just to clarify im not removing my self from google

but if i ever do this is the search engine ill start to use
try it out you might like it to :)
http://www.viewzi.com/
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

Monarch wrote:but remember that your AP ad to be without Encrypt no pass
Encryption doesn't hide your MAC address.
Monarch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Monarch »

randomizer wrote:
Monarch wrote:but remember that your AP ad to be without Encrypt no pass
Encryption doesn't hide your MAC address.
I am aware of that just duno what they were doing to open wifi since no more info as been released
i can onli imagine
but well thats the proof of what is going on and what they have done to
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

They've done it all over the place. There's nothing wrong with collecting that data in principle because it is not private. If you don't encrypt your wireless traffic then you are broadcasting your "private" data to everyone. It's as silly as saying that turning on the TV and picking up free-to-air channels is collecting the stations' private data :) Do I think that Google has any non-commercial interests in that data? Of course not, they'll use it to boost profits. It's what they do best.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google
In its 2007 Consultation Report, Privacy International ranked Google as "Hostile to Privacy", its lowest rating on their report, making Google the only company in the list to receive that ranking.
Steve Ballmer (Microsoft's CEO), Liz Figueroa, Mark Rasch and the editors of Google Watch believe the processing of email message content by Google's Gmail service goes beyond proper use. Google claims that mail sent to or from Gmail is never read by a human being beyond the account holder, and is only used to improve relevance of advertisements.
Google collected about 600 gigabytes of data from users of public WiFi stations (which are not owned by Google) during 2006-2010, including snippets of emails. No disclosures nor privacy policy was given to those affected, nor to the owners of the WiFi stations, in more than 30 countries. A Google representative claimed that they were not aware of their own data collection activities until an inquiry from German regulators was received, and that none of this data was used in Google's search engine or other services. A representative of Consumer Watchdog replied, "Once again, Google has demonstrated a lack of concern for privacy. Its computer engineers run amok, push the envelope and gather whatever data they can until their fingers are caught in the cookie jar."
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

I'm in agreement with the first two quotes, but people worrying about privacy while leaving their WiFi broadcasting the emails to their neighbourhood need to take a good look at how stupid they sound :)
OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OldManHook »

So what do you use?
Anything you use store data on you including this forum-Google checks this site as any other the idea of search.
Steve Ballmer What, if he and MS could Linux Mint or any other Open or free software would be GONE--MS wants to be Google.
Google Watch!!!
As for your E-Mail being read by Google-Most is for the Government, I think much of the anti Google is Hype.
What kind of data do your Cell phone carrier collect,Your Bank,Credit cards,Facebook!! Ever fly, Got a Passport,Fill out your Census form,have a DL,a SS number It too late everything about you Has been Collected and not by Google.
The way i see it if you live any kind of life someone has data on you,Build a house in the woods somewhere,NO phone ,computer,Electric,water, cable,sat TV,car, Live off the land because that store card track you.
So what,you know Google tracks you, any service you use do so, Google maps not even close to the real GPS System--Trust Google over Microsoft, I Think, But do You -No maybe Apple- No in this age Knowledge is Power and everybody wants power,If not Google Who, Be careful what you wish For The New Might be Worst than the Old. :lol:
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi
Chasester
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chasester »

Generally I have no problems if someone chooses to diversify themselves so to speak.

But there are inacuracies.

- All search engines track what you do.
- The Gmail point is kind of the whole point to Gmail. But it does give you options that are easy to manipulate. (ever use yahoo or hotmail?)
- Android OS - how's this different from any other smartphone os on the market?
- Google Maps - sure did send cars around. Darn coolest thing in the world when my mom can print directions including what the building looks like.
- I think you want to relook at your Google Earth bit
- Where do you see the patient information with Google?
- Chat programs do keep records of chat. I've never used Google Talk but I'd be suprised if you couldn't set it to not save chat history.
- it's a simple check box to remove the Google Buzz issue
- How does Google Wave fit into your concerns?

Communicates? Think you mean Cisco. What Google does is tries to target specific advertisements geared to the way you are and It obviously works. They're not doing anything new - they're just doing it better. There's nothing on the list (other than Google Street Maps cars) that other companies do not do as well. Google just does a whole lot of it, and that's a rightful concern to some - all of your eggs in one basket so to speak.

Not for me, but for some it is.

Schmidt is right - if you don't want it to be a record somewhere - don't do it.
youth is certainly wasted on the young.
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

If I remember correctly, Schmidt has had a few things he's tried to hide in the past, right after making that statement too I think. Not sure why, surely he's doing nothing wrong.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

JonM33 wrote:[*]Their Google Chrome web browser installs a process in the background that tracks everything on your computer. It is the only application I have ever seen that will NOT give you an option of where to install it (ie C:\Program Files).
Installing on C:\ is going to be pretty hard to do on Linux. :wink:
[*]Gmail is all in the cloud on their servers. By default Gmail is set to keep e-mail if you use an e-mail client to check e-mail through POP3. They don't want you removing e-mail off of their servers.
I look at it completely differently: Cloud e-mail allows me to access my e-mail from any computer, anywhere.
AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndrewH »

IMHO, it's extremely foolish to think any other company providing similar services is any better. Also, the illusion of privacy on the internet is exactly that.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

AndrewH wrote:IMHO, it's extremely foolish to think any other company providing similar services is any better. Also, the illusion of privacy on the internet is exactly that.
Well said. I wonder how many people here have Facebook accounts.
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

libssd wrote:Well said. I wonder how many people here have Facebook accounts.
I wouldn't dream of it.

Return to “Open chat”