Officially removing myself from Google...

Chat about just about anything else
mintnewbie63
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Officially removing myself from Google...

Post by mintnewbie63 »

I'm not removing myself from anywhere, so what if they know I have $200 in my bank account, what good will that do to them, will they be able to sell me a new high powered computer system loaded with internet applications when I don't need it, who cares if they know my name, my address, my age, I'm not a terrorist I'm just a factory worker, so the info they may have about me it's useless to them, all this fear of the big one's and their power is all aimed to keep our heads down and not be free of them, no matter where you look they all do the same and for the same reasons, so use them to do whatever you do but don't be afraid of them, they can't harm us.
Kind regards
Gary
:Linux is ridding on a flying boxing kangaroo and taking the world by storm : motherboard ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI, cpu AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200, harddrive WD 320Gb, ram Kingston 1gb X2 DDR2, ATI 3200 chipset, graphics card ASUS EAH3450,

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 »

OldManHook wrote:What kind of data do your Cell phone carrier collect,Your Bank,Credit cards,Facebook!! Ever fly, Got a Passport,Fill out your Census form,have a DL,a SS number It too late everything about you Has been Collected and not by Google.
Nope, I don't have a smart phone. I have a cheap ass pay-by-the-minute cell phone. I don't believe in that texting crap or posting from FaceBook on a phone. Only women are into texting. If I am going to talk to someone I will pick up the phone and call them.
Chasester wrote:Where do you see the patient information with Google?
Not sure if you read what I put. They are going around trying to take over as an IT resource for large companies, including hospitals. Their sales pitches involve storing (unlimited) company e-mail and company documents on Google's servers. I know this because I worked for a hospital recently that had a sales pitch from Google. The management in IT basically went to Microsoft and told them to come up with a counter to what Google is offering in order to continue to use Microsoft's services (ie big money).
libssd wrote:Installing on C:\ is going to be pretty hard to do on Linux.
Last time I checked, what OS has the most market share and is used by practically all average Joe users? I'm talking about the Windows users out there.

When Google Chrome first came out, if you went to Google.com with Internet Explorer you would get a fat ad to install Chrome.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

JonM33 wrote:Only women are into texting.
:lol:

Too funny!

It's a great tool, you should try it sometime! And most people won't even think you're less of a man if you do! 8)

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

I send a couple of text messages a week. Only if I just want to get across a short point though. One message is cheaper than the flagfall for a 1 second phone call, but sending multiple messages to have "conversations" is expensive so if I need to go into a bit more depth I'll just call.

libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

JonM33 wrote:Last time I checked, what OS has the most market share and is used by practically all average Joe users? I'm talking about the Windows users out there.
Last time I checked, this was a Linux forum.

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 »

MALsPa wrote:Too funny!

It's a great tool, you should try it sometime! And most people won't even think you're less of a man if you do! 8)
I had a BlackBerry at one of the last companies I worked for. I got sick and tired of women texting me. My male co-workers? They would call me.

Then, on one of our group company trips across the state, the woman driver kept damn texting while driving. She nearly ran us off the road several times.
libssd wrote:Last time I checked, this was a Linux forum.
Last time I checked, this thread was about Google and this was an "Open Chat" area. :wink:
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

These days, I text much more often than I call. I find it more convenient; I don't have to stop what I'm doing to call (or to answer a phone call -- except those calls from certain people who hate texting!). My son and his pals are the ones who got me to use texting more.

Chasester
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chasester »

JonM33 wrote:
Chasester wrote:Where do you see the patient information with Google?
Not sure if you read what I put. They are going around trying to take over as an IT resource for large companies, including hospitals. Their sales pitches involve storing (unlimited) company e-mail and company documents on Google's servers. I know this because I worked for a hospital recently that had a sales pitch from Google. The management in IT basically went to Microsoft and told them to come up with a counter to what Google is offering in order to continue to use Microsoft's services (ie big money).
I saw, you stated patient information.
They are doing this to undermine Microsoft but why hospitals with patient information?
There's all kinds of Hospital business that does not contain any patient information what so ever. - so why wouldn't they? If the hospital didn't see a need, they wouldn't approach microsoft.
youth is certainly wasted on the young.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

JonM33 wrote:They are going around to major hospitals trying to take over as an IT resource, promising companies unlimited e-mail and storing company documents under Google Docs - all stored in the cloud. They are doing this to undermine Microsoft but why hospitals with patient information?
..They are going around to major hospitals trying to take over as an IT resource
That's fine, they have at least as much right to be there as any other commercial company
--and as an alternative to locally managed resources, it is indeed a better value-proposition for companies that are intending to save money and make better use of their own resources

Now, all any company; including hospital IT groups need to make sure of is the integrity and security of patient/doctor/hospital/government/insurance data and other records
--they can do that with correct policies about record retention and control, as well as making as much use of encryption as is needed to ensure the integrity of their data (that actually should belong to someone else: such as the patients, not just the doctors and hospitals and governments and insurance companies)

Most companies in any business fail those tests, including banks and other financial institutions, whether that is in government (public) or commercial (private) interests.
--in fact some seemingly simple data, such as NAD (Namer & Address), they don't protect in any way, so a cross-reference to a more complete record of accounts, employee #s', insurance data, patient (for hospitals) diagnostic test and results, and associated doctor names/other personnel is not so difficult to obtain, especially for insiders

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 »

Chasester wrote:There's all kinds of Hospital business that does not contain any patient information what so ever. - so why wouldn't they? If the hospital didn't see a need, they wouldn't approach microsoft.
Why wouldn't these hospitals use Microsoft? They have the server software and infrastructure for domains, they have workstation operating systems and productivity suites.

Every hospital will have patient information. Maybe 3rd world countries won't have electronic but that is the best way. It has been proven to improve patient care and save lives.

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 »

DrHu wrote:That's fine, they have at least as much right to be there as any other commercial company
--and as an alternative to locally managed resources, it is indeed a better value-proposition for companies that are intending to save money and make better use of their own resources

Now, all any company; including hospital IT groups need to make sure of is the integrity and security of patient/doctor/hospital/government/insurance data and other records
--they can do that with correct policies about record retention and control, as well as making as much use of encryption as is needed to ensure the integrity of their data (that actually should belong to someone else: such as the patients, not just the doctors and hospitals and governments and insurance companies)

Most companies in any business fail those tests, including banks and other financial institutions, whether that is in government (public) or commercial (private) interests.
--in fact some seemingly simple data, such as NAD (Namer & Address), they don't protect in any way, so a cross-reference to a more complete record of accounts, employee #s', insurance data, patient (for hospitals) diagnostic test and results, and associated doctor names/other personnel is not so difficult to obtain, especially for insiders
You cannot save money and sacrifice patient information security in the process. That is a major HIPAA/JCAHO violation and can get a hospital shut down. That has an affect on patient care and people's lives.

Transmitting patient information over the cloud (through a WAN) if it is encrypted is fine. Google could not guarantee that patient information STORED in the cloud would be safe.

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

I hate the cloud... People are crazy. :(

About privacy, what is 'privacy', comrades? It has never really existed... Why I'm Not Crying Over Lost Internet Privacy, an interesting little article.
Fine. So with all these privacy transgressions we're right back where our grandparents were, shopping in stores where they and their tastes were well-known to store employees who recognized them on sight at least as efficiently as any face recognition program.

I happily support both EPIC and EFF and have given them money over the years. But I refuse to sink into paranoia or worry too much about a "right to privacy" hardly anyone had until the last little bit of human history, and that is likely to disappear again no matter how hard we try to keep it.
(A comment from the article's author)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

JonM33 wrote:Transmitting patient information over the cloud (through a WAN) if it is encrypted is fine. Google could not guarantee that patient information STORED in the cloud would be safe.
..Google could not guarantee that patient information STORED in the cloud would be safe.
No one, except the signatories sees these contract in full, so such information as Google cannot guarantee may be hearsay: unless one can say one has seen and understood the contract as delivered for that company
--a hospital in this example: name unknown

I'll just bet that Microsoft also cannot offer any iron-glad guarantee that data stored on the hospitals' IT infrastructure is absolutely safe, even if an all Microsoft (homogeneous) server and workstation OS and all supplied by a recommended Microsoft installer group

That's the reason, they all (commercial suppliers) of software and even hardware --although that is usually less of a problem: due to better engineering efforts. -- all use contracts and eula agreements to limit therir liabilities for failure to the absolute minimum
--it's almost a case of you buy or lease it (the software) you own it and any problems you may have, including data integrity

Yes, in nice legalistic/contract language it may look as if they (Microsoft in your example..) are ensuring the service they provide, however with the many twists and turns or even third party liability coverage, the likelihood of any software company being taken on a data integrity basis is about as likely as a snowball's chance in hell

So, in that way, I expect to see no difference between what Microsoft guarantees and what Google guarantees, despite any appearances to the contrary.

AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndrewH »

JonM33 wrote:Google could not guarantee that patient information STORED in the cloud would be safe.
Can any company guarantee stored information is safe? Doesn't matter whether it's local or cloud.

If any company could come close, I'd trust Google more than someone else. They process about 24 petabytes (1 PB = 1000 TB) of data per day (so says Wikipedia), and who knows how much information they store.

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 »

DrHu wrote:I'll just bet that Microsoft also cannot offer any iron-glad guarantee that data stored on the hospitals' IT infrastructure is absolutely safe, even if an all Microsoft (homogeneous) server and workstation OS and all supplied by a recommended Microsoft installer group
You clearly are NOT paying attention at all. On a Microsoft domain, EVERYTHING is internal. The domain controllers, DNS servers, DFS servers, file servers, database servers...etc. That's the advantage of running a Windows domain. Everything will be in-house, most of the time in a data center. Every company I have been with does this.

I doubt that you have any system administrator experience on a professional level to say something as you did above. :roll:

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Welcome to the new decade: Java is a restricted platform, Google is evil, Apple is a monopoly and Microsoft are the underdogs... Such is the state of things :evil:
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

JonM33 wrote:I doubt that you have any system administrator experience on a professional level to say something as you did above.
Oh, OK then, you must have that!

I can say it because
  • You are almost diametrically incorrect about my sysadmin experience on windows OS's and elsewhere
  • I don't believe any verbal statements by salespersons extolling the virtues, cost vs benefits or otherwise of their product lines.
  • I can without even looking at the contracts you are referencing (if you have them available to you), that the word(s) guaranteed or guaranteed integrity of... will not appear, and if they ever do, they will be under extreme vendor specified profiles (hardware, software, setups required)
    --any failure on the enterprise to maintain such a pristine environment for that installation will render any guarantees; if they exist at all to be mute

I clarify that if you like, you won't get any insurance payout for any integrity breach in your enterprise unless you are willing to meet the above profile or pay an obscene premium price for the privilege.

If you check some computer history you will find that when Microsoft obtained a security clearance within the USA government for their windows 2xxx workstation, it had to be
    • Not connected to a network
    • Not share any files
--hence a pretty lame/useless vendor specified profile for a security certificate for that OS.

It might be a truism that in business, it's business that counts
--not technical excellence or any other concern

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell
  • However, by 1999, Novell had lost its dominant market position, and was continually being out-marketed by Microsoft, which gained access to corporate data centers by bypassing technical staff and selling directly to corporate executives. Microsoft worked to make NetWare look second place with Windows 2000 features such as Group Policy. Microsoft’s GUI was also more popular and looked more modern than the character-based Novell interfaces. With falling revenue, the company focused on net services and platform interoperability. Products such as eDirectory and GroupWise were made multi-platform.
I highlight Novell, because I liked their OS (to use an old IBM phrase RAS (Reliability, Availability, Serviceability)), as well as their technical expertise (instead of business-speak): and despite any propaganda to the contrary by competitors
--I also note the difficulty of outselling a company that devotes its time to dumbing down technical solutions in order to impress [dumber] executives

Perhaps, you have also heard of NASA's no more powerpoint presentations
--obviously they lack any or sufficient details to be of much use within a technical domain

Anyway, not really interested in Microsoft vs the world debates, I know where I stand and since I am using Linux, it should be fairly obvious even to yourself.

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

I like Google, they did well for themselves,

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

Robin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Robin »

JonM33 wrote:
OldManHook wrote:Only women are into texting.
Omygosh! Does it mean I'm gay if I text? I do it a lot! :D

Just be careful... On the 'net comments like that - even if you're joking - can cost you credibility points. I know, I don't have any either, being just a kid. But still.

I don't worry about privacy because I have no expectation of privacy anywhere on the 'net. But I do think I'll be dropping gmail for something else. Not because of "evil" Google, but just because since they went to IMAP instead of POP3 I don't like having all that stuff mirrored on my hard drive (limited bandwidth here on satellite internet). And my gmail got spoofed once too, and some friends got mad at me. :(

-Robin

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Robin wrote: just because since they went to IMAP instead of POP3
Well, you know, you can use POP3 with Gmail... or just use your browser. :wink:

Return to “Open chat”