Level 3

Re: List Known Laptops that can support Linux Mint

Post by myspacecommassergio »

I HAVE A HP PAVILLION DV6700
WINDOWS VISTA X64 CAME PREINSTALLED
4GB RAM

AMD TURION X2 64

ATHEROS WIRELESS
CONEXANT HIGH DEFINITION SMART AUDIO 221(FOR VISTA)

LINUX MINT 8 IS SET TO DUAL BOOT WITH THIS LAPTOP.

EVERYTHING WORKS FINE PULSE AUDIO HAS NO PROBLEMS JACK EITHER

PIC OF MY LAPPY

Accept the wireless button is like not even working. Like it changes colors and turns off the wireless when you flip it manually. When I flip it the thing stays on the off orange color and it won't turn blue to say it's on but WIRELESS WORKS OUT OF THE BOX. I'm not even going to dare to fix the little button issue not worth the risk of ruining everything else in the process lol it just works so I'll leave it at that.

I have 2 old Dell's 1 I don't think will work becuase it has 128mb of RAM

The other... I have no clue why it wont even get to the live session or run the installer. That's for a seperate post though I don't want to double post.

HP Pavillion works ALMOST PERFECTLY OUT OF THE BOX(except the wireless switch) WIRELESS WORKS FINE NO MATTER WHAT POSITION THE SWITCH IS ON/OFF!
Peace!
greatbigdragon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greatbigdragon »

Toshiba Satellite M305-S4910

- Installs fine
- Wireless and Ethernet did not work right away
- in a root terminal, edit /etc/default/grub so that the one line says:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=use_crs"
and save it.
- run update-grub and reboot the computer.
- If you don't like the touchpad and don't really use it, you can
disable it in the BIOS. Don't be afraid to do so, because you won't
be able to do it through the function key or any utility you can get
through Synaptic. I tried.
- Everything else works fine - video, sound, webcam, some hotkeys
I've tried so far. It's totally worth it.
- This post applies to both the 32-bit "Main" edition, and the x64 edition.
Last edited by greatbigdragon on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roid »

novatech X10

Works like a dream on the helena no tweaking built in web cam, card reader, mic and all ports working straight after install.
Intel Atom 1.6Ghz N270 Processor, 1GB Ram, 160GB storage. Not much to brag about :P
greatbigdragon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greatbigdragon »

HP Mini 1116NR (Mini 1000)

What works OOB:
- video
- sound
- touchpad & keyboard
- webcam
- USB
- ethernet

What doesn't work OOB:
- wireless (see below for the easy fix)

I installed Mint 8 using the bootable USB utility for Linux Mint at pendrivelinux.com and the main edition .iso . The live system didn't impress me at all in terms of functionality, but the installed system worked fine.

When it reboots, have an ethernet cable plugged in, and the wired network should be recognized when you log in. Run all of the updates available through Mint Update, then go to Administration/Hardware Drivers and activate the Broadcom STA driver and reboot. After the system is down, unplug the ethernet and then when you log in, left-click on the Network Manager and you should have your list of wireless networks. Bam.

The only downside is that the installer from the live USB gives you no choice but to start as a temporary user account called "oem." You have to create a new user account with the exact same privileges under your own name if you want one, and deleting the oem home folder and account is a good idea (considering the dearth of drive space in your sweet little netbook.) Delete the account first (after you've made sure your account is set up right, just to be safe) and then

sudo rm -r /home/oem

everything else is up to you!
diego1188

Post by diego1188 »

Dell "New" Mini 10 (Inspiron 1012) with Mint 8 Helena:

Everything just works perfectly out-of-the-box, except the wifi driver that has to be enabled fron "Hardware drivers" (there are two options, 'b43' and 'broadcom-STA', and the second one works fine).
Audio in/out, suspend, hibernate are ok, and the 6-cell battery provides almost 7 hours of non-intensive use (wifi surfing and OOwriter). Glxgears gives a 320 fps rate (1600 in 5").
I also managed to connect it via the VGA port to a 1920x1200 external monitor, and it can play a xvid movie smoothly without problems.

The only thing I really can't get to work is the horizontal scrolling on the touchpad :?
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

LG R580 (my current laptop) with Linux Mint 8 x64 edition works fine. Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, 300 GB HDD. Everything works out of the box (sound, wireless card, touchpad, etc.); driver upgrade for the graphics card was smooth and worked. Only issue I currently face with my laptop is not being able to resume properly from Suspend (always crashes when I wake it up), but Hibernate works perfectly.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
Dodge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dodge »

Acer Aspire 6530
AMD Turion RM-70 x64 2.0ghz
3gig Ram
ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics
16" HD Acer Cinecrystal LCD
250gig HD
Atheros Wireless

Have tried Mint 8 32bit and 64bit. Both worked great. In 32bit the volume controls doesn't work, but in 64bit it works fine.

Other than that the only problem is the Suspend Mode. It doesn't go into suspend properly. It will only go to a black screen and nothing will bring it back. Doesn't seem to be a fix for this problem either. All the sites I've checked out, everyone seems to have the same answer. They have no clue...lol

Anyways, this system works great with nothing having to be installed or worked on to get it up and running. 64bit is much better though. Things seems much faster.
breaker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by breaker »

Dell Latitude E5400 works perfectly with LM 7 XFCE CE except it sometimes does some garbled screen output at the very top on shutdown, but it doesn't affect anything. Oh, and the headphone jack doesn't work, even after playing with the ALSA and OSS mixer.

Live Helena CD works for a while, but sometimes suddenly screen goes black and leds on laptop blink (can't remember which).
rtfm - read the fine manual...
Boot info script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280
grub2 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
PC-BIOS based booting, mbr, boot records; http://thestarman.pcministry.com/
piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by piratesmack »

Dell Mini 10v

Everything except wireless works out of the box.
Wireless needs Broadcom STA driver.

Also runs OS X, Windows 7, Solaris, and FreeBSD pretty well
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

Dell Latitude C 600

Pentium III with 512 mb RAM (maximum)
Netgear PCMCIA Wireless-G Network Adapter

Running Mint 8, with minor tweaks to the video to get the proper resolution. Mint runs rather smoothly on this old laptop. I can't believe that this laptop was over $2400.00 USD back in its day.

det4100

Edit: Here is the link on how to resolve the video issue with the C600 Dell Latitude:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5182387

Be advised, there is no xorg.conf file in Helena. You have to create it.
Last edited by det4100 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
det4100

Running Mint Debian
newfie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by newfie »

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prod ... g=en&cc=us

My laptop (HP Pavilion Dv2700 series) is ideal if you want to run a GNU/Linux distro out of the box. Vista didn't work properly, so what I intended to be a dual boot quickly became Ubuntu-only, then Mint. I highly recommend it if you want a truly Linux-compatible laptop. Great for new users, because the major distros work 100% out of the box. Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora work outstandingly well.

Working:

-Wolvix - Keys like volume control etc need to be set manually

-Ubuntu - I try to avoid this one. It works without any problem in the least. I just dislike how it's starting to "become" Linux, if you know what I mean. Over publicized.

-Mint - I am currently using this as my main OS; it's THE most out-of-the-box experience I have ever had with an OS. As soon as I installed it, I could use it however I wanted without needing to install extras. Comparable to my Mac experience.

-Mandriva

-PCLinuxOS

-OpenSUSE - Drivers are a b!tch to install. RPM system is hell. Works flawlessly though, as in no problems when you install everything you need.. which can be a lot.

-Fedora - Everything works, but some stuff needs tweaking to work properly; you know Fedora.

-OpenSolaris - surprised that a non-linux OS works out of the box on a laptop! Not lightweight at all though.

Problems

CentOS (no wireless)
Mepis (Refused to even boot)
Chakra (wireless, graphics)
Vector (wireless)
Debian (wireless)

~~~~~~~~

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prod ... g=en&cc=us
_h_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by _h_ »

Gateway ML6732

Running Linux Mint 8 x64 Edition, no noticeable problems that I have seen so far. Also runs Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit perfectly.
froilanG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by froilanG »

@greatbigdragon

May I know how you create a new user account? I'm a new linux user so it would be much appreciated if you will answer with step-by-step instructions.

Thank you.
greatbigdragon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greatbigdragon »

froilanG wrote:@greatbigdragon

May I know how you create a new user account? I'm a new linux user so it would be much appreciated if you will answer with step-by-step instructions.

Thank you.

No sweat! I started a new topic under the how-tos here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=42780

I'm at work at the moment, but I'll update it tonight when I get home and can do everything with my computer in front of me and I will address all of the concerns you mentioned in your private message.
jmonlive
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmonlive »

Is it the Dell Inspiron 15 or Dell Inspiron 1545, please clarify. :? :oops: I feel less scared now with the nice support (some linux forums, I've heard aren't nice to Linux newbies, unfortunately)! :)
MrD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MrD »

Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop
Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 540 (1M Cache, 1.86 GHz, 533 MHz FSB)
1gig ram (2x512meg sticks)
onboard integrated desktop grade graphics chip
(freebie laptop AOL were giving out two years ago with 2 year contracts in the UK)

Everything but wifi works out of the box. At Mint 8 you now have to connect an ethernet lead to your router and click on Hardware Drivers to immediately download the wifi drivers you need. Both drivers available work fine with no real noticeable difference. Compiz desktop effects cannot be switched on or it starts leading to annoying lag.
Dell Inspiron 1520 - T6570 2.1ghz C2D, 4 gigs ram, integrated Intel 965 GPU, Intel replacement wifi card.
wesside
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wesside »

Acer Aspire 6930

Everything works out of the box (Mint 8 Main, 64bit, and Xfce 8). Acer Crystal Eye webcam, multimedia control buttons, etc. all work. Suspend works. All three versions picked up the wifi card immediately. Ubuntu 9.10 32 and 64 bit versions also worked perfectly.

Mandriva 2010 64bit didn't recognize the wifi.
Txnca
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Txnca »

Howdy!

Mine laptop is about three or so years old. It's a Toshiba Satellite A100 - SK400E. It comes loaded with Windows XP Home edition which I now have dual booting with Mint 8, Helena. Everything loaded great without any issues. My wireless network adapter was found and configured easily. The specifications are as follows for the laptop; Intel CPU T1350 @ 1.86GHz, 1016MB, Intel 945GM Video, Intel HDA Audio, ATA 80GB HDD, MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-841S, Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG.

To tell you the truth I had been holding off installing Mint on my laptop. I finally made the jump and I am happy to say that it is working wonderfully!

Steve

*******************************************************************************EDIT*****************************************************************************************

Well, I upgraded the kernel to the new one and I had an issue with the sound card. If you have an issue with this model or the type of Audio, then you can find my fix for it here. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=46083 Hopefully you won't have the issue I did and that it will work when you upgrade the kernel.
****************************************************************************End_Edit***************************************************************************************
Last edited by Txnca on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus P5E MB/Intel C2D E8400@3Ghz/6GB Corsair Dominator DRAM/nVidia 8800GT 512MB
8xHDD 3.82TB
LG 22x DVD Burner
Logitec 5.1 Speakers/High Def Sound
Antec Tower/480w PSU
Samsung 22" LCD Monitor
APC 1300-XS UPS
slk021
Level 1
Level 1

Post by slk021 »

Toshiba Satellite L505

Intel® Pentium® Processor T4200
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (SP1, 32-bit) WIPED CLEAN :twisted:
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
3GB DDR2 800MHz memory
320GB HDD (5400rpm)
Webcam and microphone built into LCD bezel
Realtek 802.11b/g wireless-LAN

Tried it in live mode, got good resolutes and wiped Vista of the face of the earth
Divider
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Divider »

ASUS N10JH-A1

OUT OF BOX 100% compatibility.

Used Restricted drivers for nvidia support. Flawless!

--------------------------------------------------
ACER Extensa 5420

PRO's 95% OUT OF BOX compatibility.

No x1250 Driver support for 3d accel.
Broadcom 43xx drivers need to be enabled thru restricted driver's. AWESOME AIRCRACK-NG SUPPORT faster than Backtrack 4.

--------------------------------------------------

Asus EEEPC 900a

----------------------------------------------------
Toshiba Tecra M4 S435

Restricted NVIDIA drivers used for 3d accel.

Return to “Open chat”