List Known Laptops that can support Linux Mint

Chat about just about anything else
MrD
Level 4
Level 4

Re: List Known Laptops that can support Linux Mint

Post by MrD »

Acer Aspire 9300 17" laptop - sound, wifi, webcam working (microphone not tested unfortunately)

Installed a friends laptop yesterday, not 100% on the specs. Turion 2.0ghz cpu and 1gig ram and some sort of Nvidia graphics. (was vista equipped from new)

usplash has an error on bootup, says the resolution isn't working, 1164x768 I think, reverts to 1024x768, screen then flickers with loads of moving horizontal white bars on a black background for a second. Boots into Mint fine after that. Requires updating the Nvidia restricted drivers although didn't really notice much difference after doing so, usplash error still there on subsequent boot ups.

Ran Mint Update before checking everything out. Sound, wifi and webcam appear to work just fine, although speaker volume seems a bit low for my liking. I will admit I forgot to check the microphone was working though, but otherwise it appears to be good to go.
Dell Inspiron 1520 - T6570 2.1ghz C2D, 4 gigs ram, integrated Intel 965 GPU, Intel replacement wifi card.
sylvainsjc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sylvainsjc »

Hello,

COMPAQ HP Presario CQ71-403

Installed LM9 last week, absolutely all is working

- Sounds
- WiFi and its associeted led,
- Webcam,
- Compiz 3D effects,
- Suspend and Hibernate (return from suspend very fast)

Specifications Compaq Presario CQ71-403SF
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

HPG61-511wm from Walmart. Sempron M100 64 bit, 3 gigabytes ram, 2 GHZ, ATI graphics. All work "out of the box" in Mint 9 Isadora. Install the provided proprietary driver if you want compiz fusion effects (I don't use compiz, so I stick with the open source driver). In Mint 8 sound required alsa-base.conf fix. Problem is fixed in Mint 9.
Mint Cinnamon 20
gychang
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gychang »

My thinkpad T42 works perfectly with LM9. Not sure about the finger print reader but the wifi, sound, video etc all work fine out of the box.

gychang
--
cruising the desert
--
barryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barryp »

Toshiba Tecra A3X

Cpu:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz, 1060 MHz

graphics card:
Intel 915 GM
Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller
sound:
Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller
storage:
Intel 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller

memory: SODIMM SDRAM Synchronous
slot: DIMM 0
size: 512MiB

Installation was problem free & everything seems to be "working out of the box" so far including BBC iplayer & Youtube which if I can recall, needed (dreaded Intel) tweaking in Gloria. Great stuff!

Thanks again,
Barry
soderstrom

Post by soderstrom »

Scr3wgr4vity wrote:Dell XPS M1330 runs at mouthwatering speed and clarity.
I have the following problems with Linux Mint 9 on my Dell XPS M1330:

1: Wifi drops when using bluetooth
2: Weak bluetooth signal. No more than 2 meter from the laptop.
3: Using transmission slows down the internet allot! Even tho download or upload is not close to the bandwidth limits.
4: Samba wont connect to the share folders at my server. Have to manually connect and then it shows "smb:///" and not "smb://" so guess its a bug or something?

Except that, everything works like a charm! Guess there is no easy way to fix the above problems without having to hack the whole system? So if anyone have the same laptop, please leave some feedback here how it works for you to use Linux Mint 9 on it?
Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Oscar799 »

soderstrom,
Please start a new thread in Networking>Wireless with your wireless and Bluetooth problem,and start another in Networking>Other Networking Topics with your Samba issue.
You are much more likely to get the information you need if you post your questions there.
oscar799
Forum Moderator
soderstrom

Post by soderstrom »

oscar799 wrote:soderstrom,
Please start a new thread in Networking>Wireless with your wireless and Bluetooth problem,and start another in Networking>Other Networking Topics with your Samba issue.
You are much more likely to get the information you need if you post your questions there.
oscar799
Forum Moderator
Yeah I was thinking of doing that at first but made a search to see if anyone else had problems with the Dell XPS M1330, so thought it would be convenient to use this thread if someone else stumble upon the same problem in the future. But you are right, better to make a new thread for it.
AliceInLinuxland

MSI-X420

Post by AliceInLinuxland »

Model: MSI X420

Processors: Intel ULV Dual Core SU7300

Video Graphics: Intel Integrated / ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5430 (1 GB)

Color of laptop: Light Metallic Brown

Distribution: Linux Mint 8 (Helena) XFCE Community Edition (32-bit)

RAM: 4 GB installed

Wireless: Atheros AR9285

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything works except the ATI video card. This was expected. Right now it seems that no distribution of Linux supports switchable graphics out-of-the-box. This MSI laptop has a decent keyboard. Loaded with Linux Mint, instead of the original Windows 7, this laptop poses a serious threat to the MacBook Air. Superior hardware and operating system. I made no effort to set up dual-boot with Windows 7.
jfeet28
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jfeet28 »

Have a HP Mini 1030NR - Just confirming what others have stated here. It's true. No problem loading Linux Mint Isadora from stick. Did not have to deal with the "oem" default user, never saw it.
In order to get the wireless up and running you do need to download the Broadband "STA" driver, then the wireless switch will work, otherwise it won't. No problems because it comes up right after the first boot with a prompt to load the "proprietary" driver.

I also plugged in my UM175 broadband card. FOLLOWing the defaults worked for me (no phone number just #777, no user name or password, just let it go right out of the box. Mine is a Verizon. It just works.

for the HPMini 1030NR - Its a GOOD THING.

John
killerbees19
Level 1
Level 1

Post by killerbees19 »

Dimotion F5H1: No problems with Linux Mint :)

But I haven't tested the fingerprint reader and webcam :mrgreen:
Regards,
Christian

» Operator of the Froonix Mirror for Linux Mint.
» Debian/Xubuntu User – currently without Mint!
AliceInLinuxland

MSI-GT735 Incompatible with Linux Mint 9 XFCE

Post by AliceInLinuxland »

My MSI-GT735, which works perfectly with Linux Mint 8 XFCE Community Edition, was a disaster with Linux Mint 9 XFCE 32-bit. I already knew that the wireless wouldn't work in Linux Mint 9, but that wasn't important as the laptop is a 17-inch whale used as a desktop replacement. I use a wired connection in my house. It might be possible to restore wireless connectivity with the Ralink 2860 wireless adapter by installing the wireless backports package, but I didn't check as I don't need it. The first problem was that the hardware drivers search function (Jockey) was unable to install the ati proprietary driver. I went to my software sources and checked all the boxes, and then opened synaptic. I searched for "ati driver," found FGLRX, and installed that. It seemed to install, but I was unable to open the Catalyst Control Center. Typing "aticonfig" into a terminal brought up a wall of text which made it clear that the driver installed, but there's no way I'm going to mess in the terminal without an ati manual sitting right next to me. I then experienced a rapid-fire failure of three programs to launch. First was GoogleEarth. Nothing. Not even an error message. Gnu Backgammon didn't launch. The World of Goo Demo didn't launch. Firefox and Kpat did launch. I reinstalled Linux Mint 8 XFCE Community Edition and all of my problems went away. I'm going to wait for Linux Mint 10 XFCE to come out. If that is incompatible, I'm not sure what to do next. I don't really have to decide until May 2011 which I believe is the end date for Linux Mint 8.
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

I run mint 9 on an eMachines E625 with absolutely minimal fiddling ( had to hook to LAN to download some drivers but it was up and running in no time as well as my Dell 1525 running LMDE just installed it tonight works right out of the box.
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829
Beerislife
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Beerislife »

Mint 10 32bit with PAE kernel
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 14 inch

Everything works "out of the box" including wireless.

Spec:

CPU: Core i5-520M 2.40GHz (with Turboboost: 2.93GHz, 3MBL3, 1066MHz)
Memory: 4Gb PC3-8500 DDR3
Hard disk: 320Gb 5400rpm

Comments: It may be my imagination but I feel battery life was better under windows 7. I've played around with power settings but I seem to be plugging it in more often with Linux.

In the end I put Windows 7 back on just to test my theory and I think I'm right. Not only that, but as I paid for Windows in the cost of the machine I might as well use it.
piquat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by piquat »

I'm not sure if someone already posted it, cuz' this thread is huge. haha I'm running Mint on a Dell Inspiron 1501. WiFi using the B43 driver installed stupid easy. Compiz seems happy with it, ie. every animation I've tried works. Sound works fine, pulseaudio IIRC. Flash is a little skippy in full screen but that seems the norm at this point. Installed OpenArena just to see it do some 3d and that even works smoothly with some settings turned down.

Hibernation doesn't work out of the box, may be a fix for it, don't know, don't care, don't use it. Suspend works though.

Other than the b43 thing (and once again, in additional drivers already, easy install) I haven't found any hurdles.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

ASUS UL50VT everything worked but webcam upside down
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG SSD 4GB laptop ~ MX-Linux XFCE - LMDE-4 Cinnamon - LM 20 Cinnamon - Win 10 ENT
rmcfadgen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rmcfadgen »

I have an HP 17.3" 3D Envy. I have tried several times to install Mint 11 on it and have failed every time.
I was running Mint 10 on my Compaq and was very happy with it.
So - Compaq nc8230 Yes :) - Envy 3D No. :(
graeme
Level 3
Level 3

Post by graeme »

Just to note that Lenovo 300 N200 0769EAG works (as reported before) but has problems with suspend to ram. I think this is related to the PAE kernel and seems to work OK with the non PAE kernel
ilovesoad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ilovesoad »

Asus g50vt, everything works. :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

graeme wrote:Just to note that Lenovo 300 N200 0769EAG works (as reported before) but has problems with suspend to ram. I think this is related to the PAE kernel and seems to work OK with the non PAE kernel
graeme: isn't that the Lenovo 3000 N200 series?

Lenovo 3000 N100 Series -here. Had LM on it (and about a dozen other distros).
The only issue is my inbuilt webcam, it only works with the lid closed? At least cheese says "bugger off, no camera" until I close the lid, then no such message and a black box where the image should be.

I don't use suspend, or hibernate

Return to “Open chat”