Which laptop should I buy? (Dells vs Toshibas)

Chat about just about anything else
DarkRubySage
Level 1
Level 1

Which laptop should I buy? (Dells vs Toshibas)

Post by DarkRubySage »

UPDATE - FOUND A TOSHIBA C650D See specs at bottom

Hey, Mint users! I'm buying a laptop soon, but I can only afford about $650. I have 4 laptops in mind right now - A Dell Inspiron 15, a Toshiba Satellite L650-BT2N23, aDell Inspiron M101z, and a Toshiba Satellite C650D-BT2N13. I like the Dell Inspiron 15, because it's cheap and Dell has always been reliable in the past. I also like the Dell M101z, because it's the cheapest I can find, and it has a better hard drive, but I'm not sure about AMD. I'm leaning towards the Toshiba Satellite C650D, partly because it's got an i3 CPU, and also because the laptop itself looks stronger and looks nicer(I know, pathetic), however, I have heard many complaints from the Linux community about various issues with Toshiba laptops. I just found the Toshiba Satellite C650D-BT2N13, and it's the cheapest, with basically the same specs, except for the processor and the graphics(I've been told ATI is better than intel by a few people)
Please help me decide, or if you know a better deal, post it! Specs for all 4 are below -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dell Inspiron 15 $793.99 -$219.00 instant savings = $574.99 (custom specs at online store)

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Jet Black
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6600 (2.20GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Microsoft® Office Starter 2010
McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
Bright, glossy widescreen 15.6 WLED display (1366x768)
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
Size: 500GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
Dell 1397 Wireless-G
High Definition Audio 2.0
No Webcam Option
6-cell battery
My Services & Warranties
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0
No ISP requested
Integrated 10/100 Network Card

Toshiba Satellite L650-BT2N23 $814.00 -$95.00 component rebate -$100.00 instant savings = $619.00 (custom specs at online store)

Intel® Core™ i3-370M Processor 2.40 GHz, 3MB Cache
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
4GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM (2048MBx2)
500GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
Fusion® Finish in Helios Black with Standard Black keyboard
Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell, 48Wh)
Realtek® Wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n) OR Broadcom Wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n) and Bluetooth® Version 2.1 +EDR
No Modem
Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter
Norton Internet Security Suite (NIS) 2011 (30-day trial)
1 Year Standard Limited Warranty

Dell Inspiron M101z $559.99 (custom specs at online store)

Microsoft® Office Starter 2010
1 Yr Ltd Warranty, 1 Yr Mail-in Service, and 1 Yr Tech Support
McAfee SecurityCenter, 30-Day Trial
Clear Black
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
AMD Athlon™ II Neo K325 (Dual Core,1.3GHz,2MB Cache)
Inspiron M101z
11.6'' High Definition Truelife™ WLED (1366x786)
4GB DDR3 SoDIMM at 800MHz, 2x2GB DIMM
320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
AMD RS880 Integrated Graphics
56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell)
Combo 802.11n 1x1 with Bluetooth 3.0 HMC
Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0

Toshiba Satellite C650D-BT2N13 $674.00 -$40.00 component rebate -$100.00 instant savings = $534.00
AMD Athlon™ II Dual Core Processor P340 (2.2 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
4GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM (2048MBx2)
500GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
ATI® Integrated Graphics
DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
No Integrated Webcam or Microphone
Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter
Norton Internet Security Suite (NIS) 2011 (30-day trial)
1 Year Standard Limited Warranty

Thanks in advance, guys.
Last edited by DarkRubySage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 10 times in total.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Help me choose a laptop please!

Post by tdockery97 »

Personally, I'm an HP man. I find HP to be very Linux friendly, and you will find an HP with good specs for about the same price range. The Toshiba has Broadcom wireless which is known not to play nice with Linux. You usually must use ndiswrapper to install the Windows wireless driver. HP has been using Atheros based wireless cards which work out of the box. I've had my Walmart HP (with specs just below the Dell, but more than powerful enough) for almost a year and it performs great and everything in Mint 9 and LMDE just works. And it only cost $498 :D
Last edited by tdockery97 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint MATE 20.1
cra1g321
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cra1g321 »

i would get the toshiba one seeing as it has a better processor, and the RAM speed is twice as fast, though i still prefer a desktop because there far cheaper and easier to add new parts.
PC - Gigabyte 970A-DS3 AMD 970 , AMD Bulldozer FX-4 4170, Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB 1600MHz C9, Zotac Geforce 8800GT AMP Edition, OS's = Linux / WIN7
DarkRubySage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarkRubySage »

tdockery97 wrote:Personally, I'm an HP man. I find HP to be very Linux friendly, and you will find an HP with good specs for about the same price range. The Toshiba has Broadcom wireless which is known not to play nice with Linux. You usually must use ndiswrapper to install the Windows wireless driver. HP has been using Atheros based wireless cards which work out of the box. I've had my Walmart HP (with specs just below the Dell, but more than powerful enough) for almost a year and it performs great and everything in Mint 9 and LMDE just works. And it only cost $498 :D
Thanks for the input, I just visited HP's site. All of them are out of my price range, or inferior, also, my past experience with any HP product has been terrible. I don't think I'll be getting one of those. As for the Toshiba, though, I'll change the specs for Realtek wireless.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Help me choose a laptop please! (Dell vs Toshiba)

Post by waldo »

I just read today that Ubuntu 10.10 (releasing tomorrow Sunday 10th Oct.) will included Broadcom's newly released Linux driver. I mention this because upon checking the site for the Toshiba laptop you mentioned, I see that opting for the Realtek driver will omit Bluetooth. That's a harsh trade off.

This article published yesterday, mentions the new Broadcom feature in Ubuntu.
Meanwhile, Canonical has indicated that the driver will be included in the Ubuntu 10.10 release set for October 10.
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.c ... ptake?.htm
LarryP
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LarryP »

I like the specs on the toshiba better, and if you're going with mint the broadcom driver with wrapper works good on my acer but mine has the 4318 chip.. Not saying this is fact but I'm thinking some of the toshiba laptop utilities fan control and the like may have issues with linux and that may be just some if any models . It's something I'd have to look into. EDIT REalize you were looking at those 2 but if you were to consider acer just saw on walmart site 2 acers in your range slightly smaller hdd's but the screen jumps up to 17inches and the cpus spec with the dell and toshiba acers do well with linux too. the acers are black too :D
TANSTAAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch
OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OldManHook »

My 2cents
Dell, Dell, HP/Co Gateway
Just check out any linux Forum for problems with Toshiba's--The better Spec's is not worth the Trouble,but to each his Own :) If you like the Toshiba better go for it
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi
okie2003
Level 2
Level 2

Post by okie2003 »

I would encourage you to consider refurbished or off lease Dell Latitudes. I just got an E6510 at an amazing price. I googled and found a 25% off with free shipping coupon for the refurbished store. I paid 30% of list price. The Latitude is an enterprise grade which is more durable than the consumer grades. This is true of Dell, HP, and Lenovo.
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfb/notebooks ... =dfb&cs=28
"It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal
Dell Latitude E6510; i7-620M 2.67; 4GB RAM; 1920x1080, nvidia NVS3100M
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Which laptop should I buy? (Dell vs Toshiba vs Dell vs H

Post by bobcollard »

IMO Dell for hardware, not for service or support. Don't order it, get it at someplace like Best Buy with extended warrantee, theirs, not Dells. Toshiba seems overpriced.
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

If you can get that HP for $158, you better check to see if it was stolen from your local police department's evidence locker!

It's a great laptop, and should be as Linux friendly as any, but it's not legitimately going to cost only $158!
LarryP
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LarryP »

You sure you didn't misread that HP price i was seeing it priced from 850 to 1150 . Then again they could have accidently left off the first 1 . I remember a couple 3 years back best buy or circut city had big screen tv's on their website for like $10 it was a misprint got a lot of people mad lol.
TANSTAAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch
linmint777
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linmint777 »

with my eyes closed I would choose HP, for the excellent compatibility with linux
Linux Mint #1 Distro.
http://mintyubuntu.blogspot.com
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

linmint777 wrote:with my eyes closed I would choose HP, for the excellent compatibility with linux
+1 And for reliability too.
Mint MATE 20.1
DarkRubySage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarkRubySage »

LarryP wrote:You sure you didn't misread that HP price i was seeing it priced from 850 to 1150 . Then again they could have accidently left off the first 1 . I remember a couple 3 years back best buy or circut city had big screen tv's on their website for like $10 it was a misprint got a lot of people mad lol.
Yeah, I asked them if it was really $158, they didn't reply but it's fixed now. Some stupid typo. Oh well.
Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Which laptop should I buy? (Dells vs Toshibas)

Post by Gramps50 »

I have 2 Dells and a Gateway (Acer) netbook. One Dell is Latitude & has the Intel wifi the other is a Vostro & has the Broadcom 4312 (Dell 1397) The Latitude if by far the better of the 2 Dells but there is also a large price difference. They all are running Linux, one is running LM 9 and the others are running LMDE. The Vostro & Gateway both have Broadcom 4312 wifi and it is not that big of a deal to get it to work once you learn the tricks. I have the best luck with the STA driver. LM 9 will hold your hamd & help you install it, LMDE requires some work but there is a script in the LMDE thread that will install it in LMDE.

I also just finished installing LM 9 on 2 HP laptops, both LM 9 and no problems on either.

If you look on www.laptopmag.com there are reviews (not Linux) and they also compare the manafactures according to their reviews. ASUS rates higher than HP but lower than Toshiba again all their test are with Win 7. I have been looking at the ASUS but haven't really decided as I don't really need a new laptop I just want one to play with... :)
LMDE ROCKS!!!
lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

I am curious on how an eMachine laptop would work with Mint. I would pick one up and replace the HDD like I did with my Acer.
My stepson just picked a full size eMachine 'Top at Walmart for $298.00, plus tax. It has the numeric keyboard, 250gb drive, DVD burner, most of the good stuff with W7, home premium, 64 bit, multi media reader, 2gb mem, wireless.
The Acer full size 'Top I picked up about two years ago for $325 has been running quite well with Mint 7.
Just wondering.

Lex
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.
Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jay514 »

I have 2 Toshibas & an HP.Toshiba has a overall higher customer satisfaction rating if you check around on sites like bestbuy.com . Although I prefer my HP for Linux over both my Toshibas due to several reasons, mainly the hardware on my HP works well with Linux.They both are fine machines & work equally well for what I do on Linux. A lot of it comes down to personal preference based on your type of needs / uses / funds.Check tigerdirect.com & bestbuy.com = they both have a lot of good deals from time to time.
I hope you find what you are looking for, Have a Good Day 8)
" Do Not Do Wrong Twice,That Which You Could Have Done Right The First Time"

Main = HP Pavilion DV4-1275mx - OS=Mint_CE x64KDE/LXDE,& x64Kubuntu
Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gramps50 »

recently I have been looking at a Toshiba Satellite L655-5105 while scouting around in Toshiba Support I was looking at BIOS updates and many times when you purchase a laptop or computer for that matter the BIOS is out of date. The Toshiba BIOS and be installed from a floppy (who has those any more) from within Windows ( not the recommended way) or there is also a iso image to burn a bootable CD which makes it easy to update the BIOS if using Linux or anyother nonWindows OS for that matter.
LMDE ROCKS!!!
Beerislife
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Beerislife »

Why haven't considered Lenovo, considering their IBM background, they're usually quite compatible
with Linux. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Dell even if someone else paid for it. There are several
models in your price range (assuming you're talking US dollars)

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... %20Price_1

Return to “Open chat”