Windows 7

Chat about just about anything else
ParanoidLinuxGeek
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:12 am

Windows 7

Post by ParanoidLinuxGeek »

What are your thought's on Windows 7? I have a two year old HP laptop that I installed Windows 7 on. It came with Vista. Windows 7 has some nice improvements with the taskbar, such as the jumplists and pinning.
User avatar
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5060
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Mt. Angel, Oregon

Re: Windows 7

Post by tdockery97 »

ParanoidLinuxGeek wrote:What are your thought's on Windows 7? I have a two year old HP laptop that I installed Windows 7 on. It came with Vista. Windows 7 has some nice improvements with the taskbar, such as the jumplists and pinning.
In my opinion it's the best Windows version MS has published. But I still would rather use Mint. I have one program I use in Windows (convertxtodvd) that I just love. Nothing in Linux makes movie dvd's quite the same way or as easily. If it worked in Wine 100% I wouldn't have Windows on my laptop at all.
Mint MATE 20.1
0ddity
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Windows 7

Post by 0ddity »

I like W7 better than any of the other MS OS's I've had on my computers (95/98SE/ME/2000 Pro/XP/Vista/7) and I still use it for playing Orange Box games, because I can't get them working properly in Wine, and for converting movies to DPG because I haven't found a simple way of doing it in linux yet.
User avatar
colyn
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:37 pm
Location: ¿ǝɯ ǝǝs ɐʎ ʇ,uɐƆ ˙ǝɹǝɥ ʇɥƃᴉɹ ɯ,I
Contact:

Re: Windows 7

Post by colyn »

Based on my limited experience with it I would have to say it is the best made by Microshaft but it is still very virus/spyware prone. Even with anti-virus anti-spyware system resource eating software installed So I won't waste my money on it..
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Windows 7

Post by randomizer »

I thought the Taskbar changes were good at first but then I realised just how horribly inefficient Aero Peek was. I have to click on the icon, then move the mouse over the preview of the window I want to elevate, then click on the preview. And what if I want to open another concurrent session of the same program? I have to right click the icon and then click on the name of the program (which may take a moment to find with a long jumplist distracting you). These issues didn't exist with the conventional quick launch.

I am more irritated with Office 2010 being a pile of spyware than I am with Windows 7 issues though. Windows has always been spyware, Office has only just received the stamp of approval.
User avatar
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1913
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: UK Lake District

Re: Windows 7

Post by caf4926 »

If you need windows, win7 is the choice. XP is (was) great, but it's just archaic.

@tdockery97
devede does a fantastic job of converting for dvd
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
User avatar
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5060
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Mt. Angel, Oregon

Re: Windows 7

Post by tdockery97 »

caf4926 wrote: @tdockery97 devede does a fantastic job of converting for dvd
I tried it. It's not near as intuitive and easy as convertxtodvd. With it I just need a couple clicks and have dvd with menus, scene selection, etc. Many open-source apps match or exceed their proprietary counterparts. I just haven't found one as good for burning avi's etc. to dvd.
Mint MATE 20.1
User avatar
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1913
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: UK Lake District

Re: Windows 7

Post by caf4926 »

I have used convertx2dvd but whilst I agree it works well, my open source principles keep both my feet firmly in Linux. Whilst I have win7 installed, I never use it, it's just become a testing ground for multi boot/grub.
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
vooid
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:27 pm

Re: Windows 7

Post by vooid »

About the 7:
It certainly has nicer interface although much nicer (aero effects, glass, minimize, close, open, maximize effects (for which I personally don't care at all)) than functional (desktop peek, new taskbar). Security problem are still there as in xp.

UAC is supposed to make things going safer but as far as I read about it, it can be bypassed easily since by default even if you're not administrator user at logon (which you are if standard account hasn't been created) uac isn't set to highest level nor password protected (which both can be set to be, but then you'll be more typing password and giving permissions than getting the work done).

It is faster than vista but not than xp in my experience.

Also the price is phenomenal.
Last edited by vooid on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
linmint777
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:00 am

Re: Windows 7

Post by linmint777 »

if it is good operating system, perhaps the best of windows, but ..... virus, defragmentation, spyware, ufffff, the list is endless ......... :shock:
I have Windows 7 because it came preinstalled on the computer, and I can not get rid of it because it voids the warranty of 3 years. :cry:
and I can not install any other operating system main hard disk and using the mbr, but ..........
for that I have my external hard drive with my beloved mint kde :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linux Mint #1 Distro.
http://mintyubuntu.blogspot.com
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Windows 7

Post by randomizer »

Changing out the OS should not void your warranty, it will just void any chance at commercial support from your system vendor (do you really plan to wait on the phone for help anyway?). After all, they only sold you the hardware. Microsoft licensed the copy of Windows.
User avatar
linmint777
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:00 am

Re: Windows 7

Post by linmint777 »

Changing out the OS should not void your warranty, it will just void any chance at commercial support from your system vendor (do you really plan to wait on the phone for help anyway?). After all, they only sold you the hardware. Microsoft licensed the copy of Windows.
I thought that when I bought the computer, but did not read the contract and a clause says that if you install a different operating system preinstalled, warranty issues including hardware.
windows tricks? maybe ...
but for an intelligent, there is another more intelligent, buy a external hard disk, I installed mint kde, the grub and go.
piss on rules of gateway and microsoft and still retaining the guarantee :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linux Mint #1 Distro.
http://mintyubuntu.blogspot.com
User avatar
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11245
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Windows 7

Post by Pierre »

Any version of Windows, is a disaster, just waiting to happen. :(
it's just too big a target, for the 8) crowd, to resist.

& I still say, " it's too expensive".
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
User avatar
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: France

Re: Windows 7

Post by linuxviolin »

Win7 is a quite good Windows although if I used Windows probably/maybe I would use XP SP3... :roll:

Win7 is more secure than older Windows but these problems are there because of its popularity, Windows is on 98% of the PCs in the planet.
colyn wrote:it is still very virus/spyware prone. (...) So I won't waste my money on it..
This is silly! If one day, I don't think so but..., Linux becomes as popular than Windows, you'll see the same problems in Linux, (The threat exists but has not yet fully manifested. (...) The possibilities are there. But virus writers are currently busy elsewhere. :wink: ) so you won't use it no more in this case?

The threats are there, the possibilities too, we can say if Linux becomes more popular, we'll probably see these "possibilities" be used... And you see the threats are growing for MacOS X because the platform is gaining interest in the area of malware writers and distributors... :roll:

About Office, it's the best Office suite for *real work*, OpenOffice is a "joke". :mrgreen:

EDIT. Why so much "hate" toward Windows/Microsoft? ...yet so many people still don't realize that Apple's evilness is "more evil" than Microsoft's. Sigh. A planet of worshipers and slaves. :twisted:
Last edited by linuxviolin on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1913
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: UK Lake District

Re: Windows 7

Post by caf4926 »

I'll probably never use windows again.
After all there is soMint here much better, that's why we are here in the first place.
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
User avatar
colyn
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:37 pm
Location: ¿ǝɯ ǝǝs ɐʎ ʇ,uɐƆ ˙ǝɹǝɥ ʇɥƃᴉɹ ɯ,I
Contact:

Re: Windows 7

Post by colyn »

linuxviolin wrote:
colyn wrote:it is still very virus/spyware prone. (...) So I won't waste my money on it..
This is silly! If one day, I don't think so but..., Linux becomes as popular than Windows, you'll see the same problems in Linux, (The threat exists but has not yet fully manifested. (...) The possibilities are there. But virus writers are currently busy elsewhere. :wink: ) so you won't use it no more in this case?
The difference between Windows virus infestation and the possibility of the same on Linux is still low risk since Linux has so much better security built-in plus I suspect the Linux popularity level will remain low enough so as to make widespread attacks a waste of time for the virus writers. Afterall the primary purpose of a virus/spyware program is to steal information etc.
linuxviolin wrote:The threats are there, the possibilities too, we can say if Linux becomes more popular, we'll probably see these "possibilities" be used... And you see the threats are growing for MacOS X because the platform is gaining interest in the area of malware writers and distributors... :roll:
Profit margin. That's the name of the game for virus writers..
linuxviolin wrote:EDIT. Why so much "hate" toward Windows/Microsoft? ...yet so many people still don't realize that Apple's evilness is "more evil" than Microsoft's. Sigh. A planet of worshipers and slaves. :twisted:
My dislike of Windows is primarily its total lack of security. When I do online banking or buy online I want to know that my system has not been breeched allowing for my info to be stolen.

As I have stated in another thread I have sold off all of my Mac gear and have not looked back. So I am not a Mac worshiper..
User avatar
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: France

Re: Windows 7

Post by linuxviolin »

colyn wrote:The difference between Windows virus infestation and the possibility of the same on Linux is still low risk since Linux has so much better security built-in plus I suspect the Linux popularity level will remain low enough so as to make widespread attacks a waste of time for the virus writers. Afterall the primary purpose of a virus/spyware program is to steal information etc.
Yes, of course, for the moment, as a home user you have very few chances to meet one of these threats, attacks. But the threats are there, the possibilities too, but/even though currently the attacks are principally directed to Windows, and a little more to Mac also now. I have already wrote several posts about this in this forum, e.g. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p306792or http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 09#p223615

It's wrong to believe "protected", "immunized", "unhackable" or other things of this kind because you run Linux, Unix, BSD or other Mac OS.

About "the Linux popularity level will remain low enough", I guess you are right... :roll:
colyn wrote:My dislike of Windows is primarily its total lack of security.
This is wrong. Just Linux 'fanboying'.
colyn wrote:When I do online banking or buy online I want to know that my system has not been breeched allowing for my info to be stolen.
Windows doesn't make this... It's to you to protect you.
colyn wrote:As I have stated in another thread I have sold off all of my Mac gear and have not looked back. So I am not a Mac worshiper..
This 'EDIT' was not mandatory to you... :wink:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
colyn
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:37 pm
Location: ¿ǝɯ ǝǝs ɐʎ ʇ,uɐƆ ˙ǝɹǝɥ ʇɥƃᴉɹ ɯ,I
Contact:

Re: Windows 7

Post by colyn »

linuxviolin wrote:
colyn wrote:My dislike of Windows is primarily its total lack of security.
This is wrong. Just Linux 'fanboying'.
In what way?

Microsoft writes a security patch only to open another security breech..they then write another one and again open another breech. It's an ongoing process..

Only truth...no Linux 'fanboying'.
linuxviolin wrote:
colyn wrote:When I do online banking or buy online I want to know that my system has not been breeched allowing for my info to be stolen.
Windows doesn't make this... It's to you to protect you.
With the ongoing security breeches of Windows and with updated virus/spyware software running a Windows machine is still at high risk of attack resulting in possible loss of information..
User avatar
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: France

Re: Windows 7

Post by linuxviolin »

colyn wrote:Microsoft writes a security patch only to open another security breech..they then write another one and again open another breech. It's an ongoing process..

Only truth...no Linux 'fanboying'.
You have also permanently updates for security holes in Linux and FOSS... Just to give an example, see for Firefox: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/fire ... flaws/7494 Without talking about Linux kernel and many others... :roll:
colyn wrote:With the ongoing security breeches of Windows and with updated virus/spyware software running a Windows machine is still at high risk of attack resulting in possible loss of information..
:lol:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5060
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Mt. Angel, Oregon

Re: Windows 7

Post by tdockery97 »

The truth is that anyone, with any OS, with any security who connects to the internet is vulnerable to attacks/hacking/hijacking. For every one who is smart enough to design and build an OS or security system, there is one who is smart enough to figure out how to hack it. You just have to do what you can to protect yourself. As was pointed out above, individual users are not attacked as often as large entities which can bring fame or profit to the hacker. Windows is attacked more because it is used by the majority. What protects us the most is the comparatively small number of Linux users. Personally, I hope it stays that way. :wink:
Mint MATE 20.1
Post Reply

Return to “Open chat”