Is Apple less evil than Microsoft?

Chat about just about anything else
brawnypandora0
Level 3
Level 3

Is Apple less evil than Microsoft?

Post by brawnypandora0 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:40 am

What's the difference between the two companies' products beside market share? Apple only is more secure because fewer viruses target their architecture, right?

I don't think Apple has more aesthetically appealing products than Microsoft--the mac mouse for example is pretty ridiculous, with a very small button for scrolling and no left or right click.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Is Apple less evil than Microsoft?

Post by randomizer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:48 am

Hold on, are we talking about the companies or their products? You seem to be talking about both simultaneously. If you really meant the companies, I'll give linuxviolin the floor. He always has something to say about Apple :)

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:50 am

randomizer wrote:...
:roll:
Yep, linuxviolin is really the expert in these issues :lol:
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

Nightstrike2009
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nightstrike2009 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:56 am

In my own opinion I would have to say Apple is more evil than Microsoft, Apple PC's are at least twice as expensive as Linux or Windows PC's and the hardware has them damned DRM chips on them to stop you from using stock pc hardware that is cheaper to buy, not down to quality but the fact the apple parts have DRM chipps on them that the Operating system checks to see if they are there, so I belive anyhow.

PS: Also Every MP3 player in every shop, shouldn't have to belong to Apple to be in stock. Creative, Archos, Philips, Sony, etc are all decent MP3 players.
Linux Mint 12 (Lisa) User

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:15 am

I dont mind, i just know apple is awesome if you want to use it for photgraphy

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:45 pm

brawnypandora0 wrote:What's the difference between the two companies' products beside market share? Apple only is more secure because fewer viruses target their architecture, right?

I don't think Apple has more aesthetically appealing products than Microsoft--the mac mouse for example is pretty ridiculous, with a very small button for scrolling and no left or right click.
Apple was lucky that Napster came along because that pretty much saved their asses with iTunes and the iPod. Macbook sales only increased because Microsoft sat on a horribly insecure product (Windows XP) for too long and Windows Vista was full of too many bugs. That and a trend of the market going towards laptops. Other Mac products never sell much compared to the Macbook line.

Anyway, Apple is worse because they lie repeatedly to their consumers. Everything from lies that their product is safer (Macs are always the first to go in every Pwn2Own hacking competition) to lies that their iPhone 4 didn't have any reception issues. The worst is that, with their denial, they don't even try to help protect their consumers. At least Microsoft provides a free and very effective AV/AM solution for Windows. Sorry, I don't trust a company that is THAT oblivious with security.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer

Txnca
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Txnca » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Personally, I don't think that either of the is evil. Greedy, yes, evil no.

Examples of their greed: There is NO Mac that is cheaper than $2000 (USD). Every time one has come close Steve Jobs pulls it off the market. Microsoft sells a crappy OS for $200 (USD), and that isn't one with all the "extras" in it. That one will cost you $120 more. The funny thing is, it doesn't give you that much more stuff for that $120, and a lot of it you will never use. There are more examples but when you have these who needs more!?
Asus P5E MB/Intel C2D E8400@3Ghz/6GB Corsair Dominator DRAM/nVidia 8800GT 512MB
8xHDD 3.82TB
LG 22x DVD Burner
Logitec 5.1 Speakers/High Def Sound
Antec Tower/480w PSU
Samsung 22" LCD Monitor
APC 1300-XS UPS

azathoth
Level 3
Level 3

Post by azathoth » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:37 pm

If you are somebody who equates greed and avarice with evil, then I would say that it's too close to call.
In terms of their effect. Microsoft is more aggressively malicious to anyone or anything that they fear will have any impact on their market position. Microsoft doesn't compete, they remove the competition by hook or by crook. The reults of various anti-trust actions against them would also seem to support this.
Apple lies, Microsoft kills the messenger and burns the note.
arch | kernel26-lqx | kde 4.7.0 & xfce 4.8.1(tiling)
"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." ~ Mark Twain
MyLast.fm

Txnca
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Txnca » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:39 pm

azathoth wrote:If you are somebody who equates greed and avarice with evil, then I would say that it's too close to call.
In terms of their effect. Microsoft is more aggressively malicious to anyone or anything that they fear will have any impact on their market position. Microsoft doesn't compete, they remove the competition by hook or by crook. The reults of various anti-trust actions against them would also seem to support this.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still laughing!!!
Asus P5E MB/Intel C2D E8400@3Ghz/6GB Corsair Dominator DRAM/nVidia 8800GT 512MB
8xHDD 3.82TB
LG 22x DVD Burner
Logitec 5.1 Speakers/High Def Sound
Antec Tower/480w PSU
Samsung 22" LCD Monitor
APC 1300-XS UPS

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:41 pm

What? Again this? People will not understand never... :( If some guys, who don't already know it, want to know my answer, seek in the forum :P

But just, NO, today Apple is NOT less evil than Microsoft, at the contrary. (Of course this doesn't mean I say Microsoft is an angel :wink:)
randomizer wrote:I'll give linuxviolin the floor. He always has something to say about Apple
:P :mrgreen:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:59 pm

azathoth wrote:If you are somebody who equates greed and avarice with evil, then I would say that it's too close to call.
Microsoft might be aggressive towards the competition (who cares, it doesn't effect us) but they don't lie to their consumers.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer

gizmodo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gizmodo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:29 pm

apple is better, because it has a certain passion, and they present apple as a unique brand.
(i am NOT part of the gizmodo team or related to them, just before anyone askes;) )

"Beliefs become reality.”

" full time IRCjunk"

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:18 am

linuxviolin wrote:What? Again this? People will not understand never... :( If some guys, who don't already know it, want to know my answer, seek in the forum :P

But just, NO, today Apple is NOT less evil than Microsoft, at the contrary. (Of course this doesn't mean I say Microsoft is an angel :wink:)
Actually, Google is the most evil followed by Apple. Not sure if I'd even put Microsoft on the list.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:47 am

JonM33 wrote:(Macs are always the first to go in every Pwn2Own hacking competition)
Most people aren't the specific targets of seasoned software exploit experts. It's drive-by attacks and general malware from bad downloads that are going to matter.

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:58 pm

randomizer wrote:
JonM33 wrote:(Macs are always the first to go in every Pwn2Own hacking competition)
Most people aren't the specific targets of seasoned software exploit experts. It's drive-by attacks and general malware from bad downloads that are going to matter.
I agree. The problem is that the same idiots that browsed the web on Windows systems and got infected also do it on a Mac. So they use Safari which is the most insecure browser and always what is hacked at Pwn2Own.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:08 am

That is true, but once again the exploits still need to be widely used and not just something found at a sponsored event. If this occurred then Mac users could be in for a bit of trouble. They're missing out on the fun for the most part though.

msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:49 am

lol, I wonder how many times these threads have popped up on various forums over the last couple of years. You can say what you like about Apple but the fact remains that Mac products are what the cool kids use. Apple are clever at targeting their market and do it very well.

msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:37 pm

brawnypandora0 wrote:the mac mouse for example is pretty ridiculous, with a very small button for scrolling and no left or right click.
I think you're a little out of date with how the mac mouse functions http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:39 pm

omns wrote:lol, I wonder how many times these threads have popped up on various forums over the last couple of years. You can say what you like about Apple but the fact remains that Mac products are what the cool kids use. Apple are clever at targeting their market and do it very well.

Edit- Image censored and reposted. Sorry, I didn't create the original image.
Last edited by JonM33 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:56 pm

My take would be Apple is worse but Microsoft is bigger. Putting Steve Jobs in charge of Microsoft would be like putting a Chiwawa brain in a Rottweiler body. lol :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

Return to “Open chat”