Is Apple less evil than Microsoft?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Elisa

Re: Is Apple less evil than Microsoft?

Post by Elisa »

Fred wrote:...like putting a Chiwawa brain in a Rottweiler body. lol :-)Fred
The last comparison hasn't been too smart :roll: Or do u wanna say you've been interested in dogs for years ? I am sure you don't...
[of course I don't mean typical chiwawas of typical US chicks having them just like a toy for their (chicks') f...ed brain :roll:]
Fred

Post by Fred »

Elisa,

Yes, I am a dog lover. :-) Chiwawas are a very aggressive breed of dog. Much more so than Rottweilers. Since Chiwawas are so small they don't have the capacity to do the kind of harm that the big, strong Rottweiler does. Putting the brain of the overtly aggressive Chiwawa into the strong, powerful body of a Rottweiler would make for a very dangerous and unpredictable animal.

Sorry didn't mean to confuse you with the analogy. :-)

Fred
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Fred wrote:...
Okay, with you additional explanation your analogy :lol: it's more clear :wink:
However chiwawas aren't typical aggresive. They've been used in Latin America as shepherd-dogs, taking care of sheep etc. For this task they are mostly more of them, 4 and more. But on the other hand, chiwawas could be educated, maybe in canis-therapy used also - like a proverb says: how is lord such is dog (free translation from our lang), meaning if the owner is kind of an as...hole, no wonder, the dog follows his way... :( :lol:

And I have to say from my long dog experiences - "Dog is the best homo sapiens sapiens in the world..." 8)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

omms wrote:You can say what you like about Apple but the fact remains that Mac products are what the cool kids use. Apple are clever at targeting their market and do it very well.
Yes and what? This is quite an example of why Apple is so dangerous... A planet of worshipers and slaves, from an early age! :twisted:
JonM33 wrote:Actually, Google is the most evil followed by Apple. Not sure if I'd even put Microsoft on the list.
Well yes for Google but the new software model promoted by Apple is worse I guess, really. Google "is just one of many proprietary-software companies today, just like IBM, Oracle" or Microsoft. The new software model promoted by Apple goes much more far.

I am amazed, scared, to see how people have no awareness of danger today and focus on old prehistoric wars with "hereditary enemy"... Meanwhile, the real danger goes ahead, grows in the shade and nobody seems to notice its real scope... or probably when it will be too late, as usual. :(
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
AliceInLinuxland

Post by AliceInLinuxland »

To install Windows updates, you have to connect to the internet and let Microsoft scan your computer for a valid license. With a mac, you can, if you don't have a broadband connection, go to the public library and download the latest updates without having to provide proof of a valid license or even that you own a mac for that matter. Apple lets anyone download their updates.

I have backup copies of my retail PPC tiger install disk. I've used a backup copy once to reinstall tiger over the top of leopard on an old Power PC G4 iBook. Anybody ever successfully make a copy of a genuine Windows installer disk?

Back in the days of Power PC, Apple was definitely less evil than Microsoft. You got a superior product for the higher price. I have three old G4 iBooks which have never needed a single repair. One of them is a refurb from apple dot com. These days, however, the question is valid.

The reliability of Apple computers has taken a nosedive since they switched to Intel chips and shifted production to China. Both events seemed to occur at about at the same time and are probably connected. My Intel iMac from 2006 has had to be taken to an Apple Store twice for a disk stuck in the optical drive. Tricks which work to get a stuck disk out of a PPC mac (reboot with the trackpad button held down) don't work with Intel Macs. No "Open Firmware" in Intel Macs. My last two computer purchases were an MSI-GT735 and an MSI-X420. Both run Linux Mint 8 XFCE. That speaks for itself. The MSI-X420 is a stunning MacBook Air clone. Three-year guarantee included with purchase at no extra expense. No more macs for me until Apple does something about its hardware reliability problem. Oh, and Snow Leopard is the worst operating system I've ever used. The Snow Leopard Imacs at the local university library corrupt all iso image downloads, often don't show downloads on the desktop although they do show up in the finder, and can't burn DVDs at all. I have to use Windows 7 machines at the library to download iso images. Windows 7 takes four minutes to boot on the university machines. Good grief!
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

AliceInLinuxland wrote:To install Windows updates, you have to connect to the internet and let Microsoft scan your computer for a valid license. With a mac, you can, if you don't have a broadband connection, go to the public library and download the latest updates without having to provide proof of a valid license or even that you own a mac for that matter. Apple lets anyone download their updates.
I assume that you are talking about WGA to show that your installation of Windows isn't pirated? No, you can easily find out what the latest updates are and download them individually. I did it all the time for servers when I was in the military (prior to WSUS coming along). I was given a list of mandatory Windows Server updates and would schedule a time to download them individually from the Microsoft website, install them and reboot the server.
AliceInLinuxland wrote:I have backup copies of my retail PPC tiger install disk. I've used a backup copy once to reinstall tiger over the top of leopard on an old Power PC G4 iBook. Anybody ever successfully make a copy of a genuine Windows installer disk?
Yep, my Windows 7 OEM came with a DVD. I burned an ISO backup of it just in case I needed it.
AliceInLinuxland wrote:Back in the days of Power PC, Apple was definitely less evil than Microsoft. You got a superior product for the higher price. I have three old G4 iBooks which have never needed a single repair. One of them is a refurb from apple dot com. These days, however, the question is valid.

The reliability of Apple computers has taken a nosedive since they switched to Intel chips and shifted production to China. Both events seemed to occur at about at the same time and are probably connected. My Intel iMac from 2006 has had to be taken to an Apple Store twice for a disk stuck in the optical drive.

Intel doesn't make motherboards. There's nothing wrong with Intel processors or chipsets.
AliceInLinuxland wrote:I have to use Windows 7 machines at the library to download iso images. Windows 7 takes four minutes to boot on the university machines. Good grief!
Most likely that is because of the AV solution they use, various scripts running and also Group Policy. Most Windows 7 systems are fast until you join them to a domain. That's not a negative of Active Directory architecture as much as it is idiotic IT admins running amuck with Group Policy settings and scripts.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

AliceInLinuxland wrote:Anybody ever successfully make a copy of a genuine Windows installer disk?
I didn't know burning an ISO was such a chore.

Return to “Open Chat”