Enough of this already

Chat about just about anything else
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Enough of this already

Post by waldo »

Okay, what is up with the pile of questions entered by one poster? It is weird. I think a moderator should consider grouping them. He or she doesn't even acknowledge the helpful replies. I don't think the poster is actually looking for answers.
Last edited by waldo on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Is this the FAQ quiz section, or what?

Post by Elisa »

Yep, the same I've been thinking too and I am glad that not only me thinks of that (sometimes I started to think that I am too paranoid :) ) but it's true many 'innocent and useless posts' aka spams just sh...s the space here.
And I do wonder what such ill losers will gain sh...ing by their spam the space here :roll: And he is not only one, can name some others too :|
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

it does appear to be a pointless exercise and the only thing that I can think of that would justify it would be "it pushes up your post count very quickly".

Best regards Keith

deleted

Post by deleted »

Hmmm....
These young'uns these days. ;) I was talking to a 3rd grade teacher the other day (she has 5 kids of her own) and she was commenting about how today's kids can't to spell or write complete sentences. I wonder if we are victims of our own technology ;)
FAQ based, etc, TTYL, LOL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics
-Hinto

Robin

Post by Robin »

hinto wrote:Hmmm....
These young'uns these days. ;) I was talking to a 3rd grade teacher the other day (she has 5 kids of her own) and she was commenting about how today's kids can't to spell or write complete sentences. I wonder if we are victims of our own technology ;)
FAQ based, etc, TTYL, LOL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics
-Hinto
Careful now... some of us young'uns ain't so bad. :D

You make a very good point about all the techno stuff tending to "dumb down" kids. We just love our gadgets! But there surely is a down side... like kids not being able to make change without a calculator or some gadget to tell them what $10.00 - $7.49 equals. Those of us who can do that in our heads are like, "What kinda dunce do you have to be to need a gadget for that?"

I'm about as non-geeky as it gets. I only now figured out how to send a text message on my cellphone, lol! Here's my kinda phone (you need to scroll it down to see why it's better for us geek-challenged kids):
mycellphone.jpg
mycellphone.jpg (53.47 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
-Robin

deleted

Post by deleted »

Love the pic ;)
Just want to add, I was talking to a teen (needless to say I'm not a teen) about iPhone vs Droid and whether Flash was a big deal to them. They looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. I then had to re-phrase it in a form of a question (Jeopardy comes on right before Matlock;)), "Does it matter to you whether you watch youtube?". Then they said oh yeah....
Guess I'm trying to say that asking questions in the form of a FAQ isn't too far off due to the environment we live in. Some folks just think that way.
-Hinto

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

To try to avoid any future difficulty, let me state the moderators' and admins' position on this subject.

As long as the post is in the proper section and does not violate forum rules on profanity, spam, or inappropriate language or subject, it will be allowed.

In the case under discussion (yes, I know who it is) the member was advised to not post his questions in the support sections, mainly in "Newbie Questions", but to post in the appropriate Chat section. He has done this and we do not find anything actionable in his posts.

Just because a post asks a simple or odd question, it is not automatically spam or in violation of forum rules, especially if it is posted in "Open Chat" which is specifically for this type of post.
Registered Linux User 483387

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa »

But 90% of his si...y questions (like about the diff. between switch, router and hub :roll: ) can be found in a second by google, yandex or any other search engine...

P.S. Now I've checked again that question and he asks again the same s... so have to think he cannot even read (due the answer is nicely explained on that posted URL page... :roll: :lol:

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Great. Maybe the poster does not know how to use search engines properly yet. He may just need help in that. Why not suggest to him that he can find the answers himself and add that you will help him learn how if he needs it. That is the purpose of this forum, after all, to help those who know less than we do and spread knowledge of Mint, Linux, and computer use in general.

waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

##
Last edited by waldo on Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Great. Maybe the poster does not know how to use search engines properly yet. He may just need help in that. Why not suggest to him that he can find the answers himself and add that you will help him learn how if he needs it. That is the purpose of this forum, after all, to help those who know less than we do and spread knowledge of Mint, Linux, and computer use in general.
Sorry, I don't subscribe to the "curious mind just seeking answers" theory. This barrage of very specific well worded questions appears to be something that might have been written by a teacher for a class quiz. However I can't imagine what class that would be - I am just referring to the style of the questions. EDIT: In other words, the writer of those questions knows the answers.

I have no idea what the motivation is, but I don't think many of us here actually believe it is a genuine quest for those answers.
Last edited by waldo on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa »

waldo wrote:...
:lol:
+1

OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OldManHook »

:idea: Why don't we Just not reply to his/her questions :?:
The Mod would likely consider this spam if it was E-Mail to his bx why not apply the same to the Forum?
This Poster clearly does not have any interest in Linux Mint :shock:
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi

waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Enough of this already

Post by waldo »

It's time for one of the moderators to remove all this nonsense, ban the poster, and then remove this thread. This type of junk space filler will ruin this Open Chat section.

If there is some reason for tolerating it, please explain to those of us lesser mortals the rationale. I, for one, just do not get it.

NumberSeventeen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NumberSeventeen »

I have seen worst spammers.
This little man just asks a lot of questions, most of them are already answered.
Just tell him how to use the chat or that he can ask more questions in one topic.

No big problem over here i guess.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

The member in question has been PMed about the flood of simplistic questions and counseled on proper forum etiquette and behavior including using Google, Yahoo, or any other search engine to try to find his answers before posting here and acknowledging responses with at least a brief thanks.

Since his posts technically do not violate any forum rules we have no real grounds for banning him or deleting his posts. Hopefully, he will take the suggestions made to him and lighten up on the random questions. If not, I suggest that the best way to handle the situation is to ignore his posts. If he gets no answers, he will probably stop.

davy51

Post by davy51 »

It is a possibility it could be someone very old or very young

They could be a complete computer newbie without any experience at all with computers and wants to know everything at once

And doesn't realize in a community of this sort to ask all the simple questions all at once isn't proper

jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jokersloose »

Something else to "think about" the poster might have a mental illness and is/was in a manic state when the post where done. In that case they really can't help them selves. Instead of starting a tread why not PM them yourself and ask them "Why so many post?"

Just a thought,

James

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

jokersloose wrote:Instead of starting a tread why not PM them yourself and ask them "Why so many post?"
I was thinking along the same lines. His posts don't bother me -- you can just ignore them, I guess.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

waldo wrote:
If there is some reason for tolerating it, please explain to those of us lesser mortals the rationale. I, for one, just do not get it.
I too become irritated at some/many of the posts that I see but I can give you, what I consider, a good reason for not interfering too much. It is the slippery slope phenomenon. The rules should be clear and concise so not only the users can clearly understand them but so the moderators can consistently enforce them. If you get too far into moderators making value judgments on the quality of posts you are headed for trouble. You can see this theory at work in some of the other Linux forums. Inconsistent enforcement and punishment as well as misunderstandings and hard feelings on the part of users.

A large percentage of the users of this forum are not experienced Linux or computer users. This demographic requires more tolerance than some more experienced users might wish to extend. If you want to participate in a forum where you are expected to have achieved a much higher level of knowledge before even posting, try the Gentoo or even the sidux/aptosid forums.

Quote: "Those that govern the least, govern the best."

Just my opinion. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

Return to “Open chat”