Enough of this already

Chat about just about anything else
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Enough of this already

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Thank you Fred for your usual masterly summing up of the situation. I have refrained from any punitive type actions against brawnypandora0 (why not use the name, we all know who we are discussing) mainly because (s)he has done nothing to merit it. Ignorance was not an actionable offense the last tome I checked the forum rules and brawnypandora0 is not provably guilty of anything else.

This forum is here, among other reasons, to educate new Linux users so they can become proficient in using their chosen OS and computers in general. Some of the opinions expressed in this thread come close to the type of snobbish elitism that has made many users migrate from other distros to Mint. You can read posts every time a new version comes out mentioning that one of the reasons the poster moved from Distro X to Mint was the elitist attitude prevalent in the Distro X forum. I hope none of us want that for this forum.

There are other prolific posters on this forum, some of them not much better than brawnypandora0. If this member is banned for posting simple questions because we (or at least some of us) feel he is too ignorant to participate in this society, who is next?

There are definite rules laid down by the Mint team - including the current moderators - as to what is a legitimate reason for disciplinary action against a member and brawnypandora0 has broken none of these rules. In spite of this we hear cries of "Ban the infidel. Delete his posts".

At some point early in our computer history, we all were as ignorant as brawnypandora0 but most of us were using Windows or even Dos and had no resource like this forum and would probably have been too embarrassed to post such simple questions. There are probably new users out there right now who are silently thanking brawnypandora0 for asking the questions they would not ask for fear of provoking just this type of reaction. This is the reason I have taken the time to answer some of the more relevant questions posted.

Granted, I do not think posting a question like " When you bought your laptop, did you get a laptop bag with it? I didn't." is appropriate for this forum, but I was handling that through Private Messages in an attempt to educate the user rather than punish.

That is the other reason I refuse to punish this member. I was the one that originally suggested to brawnypandora0 that the posts (s)he was making in "Newbie Questions" more properly belonged in "Open Chat". The member just went a little overboard. Again, not cause for disciplinary action.

I have been in constant contact with the Administrators about this and have their full support for the way I have handled it. I hope this relatively mild rant helps some of you understand why this incident has been handled the way it has. Thank you all for the time you take to read this
Registered Linux User 483387
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jokersloose »

Well said A.T. like you said one of the reasons I moved to Mint was the support I got on the boards. And I have asked some pretty odd ?'s on here myself. Even lately I have asked some ?'s I should already know the answer too but due too lack of not using terminal I had forgot the commands.

I want to thank the Mint team including the Mods I have Mod'ed a board before and for anyone who has never done it you have NO idea what goes on behind the scene to keep something like this running.

Just try to remember when ever you get a lot of people in a community (family) there is going to some who rub each other the wrong way. What makes us stand out is how we deal with these differences. Like 3rd graders or adults.

James
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

jokersloose wrote:Just try to remember when ever you get a lot of people in a community (family) there is going to some who rub each other the wrong way. What makes us stand out is how we deal with these differences. Like 3rd graders or adults.

James
Well said James.
Mint MATE 20.1
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

I stand properly chastened before all you pious pontificators who just want to help poor brawnypandora0 in his oh so innocent and noble quest for deeper knowledge of the minutiae of Linux computing. <end sarcasm>
zacklyke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zacklyke »

waldo wrote:I stand properly chastened before all you pious pontificators who just want to help poor brawnypandora0 in his oh so innocent and noble quest for deeper knowledge of the minutiae of Linux computing. <end sarcasm>
Ha, good stuff right there. I'm relatively new to the community / LM and wasn't sure if he was an alias of a pesky member or there was some joke on which I was missing out.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

waldo my friend you missed the point. It isn't about this one user which you may or may not have read correctly. It is about making and adhering to a standard that can be applied reasonably consistently to everyone, that furthers the goals of the forum.

When individual moderators start making value judgments instead of factual findings on the worthiness of individual posts, what kind of atmosphere do you think will come to prevail? You know how I feel about people doing their homework and due diligence before posting. But can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if I kicked and removed every post that I felt was frivolous, unthinking, and unworthy of the space it occupied? Now lets say that you did the same thing. And another moderator did the same thing to his standards too. Are you beginning to see how this would change this forum into something that most of us would not want to be a part of? And it certainly would not support the goals of the Mint distro as a whole.

Sometimes you need to back away from the trees enough to see the forest. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Fred wrote:
Sometimes you need to back away from the trees enough to see the forest.

Fred
Exactly. I kindly answered a couple of his early posts, until I backed away from the trees and saw the forest of space filler posts that he has created. Yes, any single one of his questions is innocent enough, but as a whole they have become some sort of twisted prank. And, yes, they are a prank. No actual newcomer would know enough to ask all those questions in one sitting.

He is making a mockery of this forum by creating posts that appear to be real, just so you would look like a censor if you dared to stop him.

Before I suggested that something be done, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Being also concerned about the atmosphere of this forum, I realized that to a newcomer, such a bizarre display of nonsense would suggest that this group was, perhaps, a couple of bricks short.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

waldo, why even bother letting this person get under your skin? Stick around Linux forums long enough, there are always gonna be people who bug you. They come and they go. If someone asks a legitimate question, help them if you feel like it. Otherwise just move on to the next thread. The mods are handling this in an intelligent, thoughtful manner. Lots of people come here needing help; focus on them instead of letting yourself get freaked out by this poster.
sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sgosnell »

I don't know of anything that requires anyone to read every post. I certainly don't. I skip a lot of posts, and it's not that difficult to just ignore the posts being discussed along with all the other posts that either don't interest me or for which I have nothing to add. If you don't want to see the posts, just ignore them. It's not worth getting worked up about.
Asus eee-pc 900 w/ 32GB SSD.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

sgosnell wrote:It's not worth getting worked up about.
Never a truer word spoken :)
azathoth
Level 3
Level 3

Post by azathoth »

Whoever and whatever it is they're obviously just messing with you. Have you seen how many topics they've started? Even the admins at aptosid don't do that lol.
I think it's a bot. :shock: lol
arch | kernel26-lqx | kde 4.7.0 & xfce 4.8.1(tiling)
"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." ~ Mark Twain
MyLast.fm
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

So many people are ready to assume the worst in any situation, even this one. Instead of giving the person the benefit of the doubt and saying he may be like a child (or may be a child) with a new toy, asking everything that comes into his head because it is a new experience to have so many people ready to answer his questions, some of you automatically assume he is playing games with the forum.

It is a moot point anyway. I don't know if any of you have noticed that brawnypandora0 has not put up a new post for 2 days. He stopped right after he got the PM I sent him explaining why what he was doing was poor forum etiquette. Case closed.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Aging Technogeek wrote:...
Can you tell us what country is he from? If he'd be from a '3rd or 4th world', maybe people get here more patient and more tolerated to someone from such sectors... :roll:
[or is he from District 9 ? :lol: See the same name cool movie !]
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Elisa,

As I explained to brawnypandora0 in reply to his question about how many forum members were not American, I do not have access to that kind of information about individual members. That is the reserve of the administrators - clem and oscar799.

The only time I have any idea where a post originates is when it is reported as spam or for other violations of forum rules. This is for the peace of mind of the average user. The moderators do not know where you are posting from unless you break the rules.

It also allows us to ban the IP addresses of prolific spammers to make it that little bit harder for them to get back on the forum
azathoth
Level 3
Level 3

Post by azathoth »

Has this ID ever acknowledged a reply? It's odd that such an inquisitive mind wouldn't. @AT, did you actually chat with BP or did you just leave a message queued for that ID? To me, the pattern looks mechanical. The ID is not MR/DD, "they" express themselves far too clearly and the nature of the questions doesn't fit. Their english is very good too. At first when I said it, I was joking because I'm not usually around here all that much and I know very little about it. But after reading through many of BP's topics I am really starting to think it's a bot for real. I've even seen people expressing annoyance, and still no acknowledgment of any kind. Kinda fishy. :roll:

So just for laughs, let's say it is. That brings us to the next question, what is the evil design? :twisted: :twisted: lol
Perhaps an ubuntubot sent to vex and annoy? :?
MyLast.fm
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

azathoth,

Yes, brawnypandora0 has acknowledged replies as recently as Nov.15. In fact, several of his topics contain multiple posts asking additional questions or trying to get clarification on replies.
azathoth
Level 3
Level 3

Post by azathoth »

Hmmm..., good AI. It's definitely not a winbot then. :lol:
MyLast.fm
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

azathoth wrote:...
:roll: It still can be a bot... :|
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

It's not a bot. I just traced a thread from him/her and it has many replies which could not have been generated by a bot. Check for yourself: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=58720
Mint MATE 20.1
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

:lol: But "it" is a new kind of 'alpha' humanoid-cyborg bot, beware !
:lol:

Return to “Open chat”