Enough of this already

Chat about just about anything else
brawnypandora0

Re: Enough of this already

Post by brawnypandora0 »

JonM33 wrote:
randomizer wrote:My question is how did you find this forum without using a search engine? Did you wonder about GSM and CDMA and then think "aha! the Linux Mint forum will know!"? :lol:
Tell me about it. How many people using Linux Mint are THIS clueless. You need to know 98% of his questions before you can even figure out how to install Linux to begin with!
I don't know the answers to 98% of my questions, so how come I successfully installed Mint on my laptop?
User avatar
zacklyke
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: Enough of this already

Post by zacklyke »

Obvious troll is obvious.
brawnypandora0

Re: Enough of this already

Post by brawnypandora0 »

zacklyke wrote:Obvious troll is obvious.
I am not a troll. You obviously don't form good impressions over the Internet.
User avatar
zacklyke
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: Enough of this already

Post by zacklyke »

Well suppose I give you the benefit of the doubt. Why not make 1 thread with all of your questions? Or finding other threads with appropriate topics to ask your miscellaneous life questions?
brawnypandora0

Re: Enough of this already

Post by brawnypandora0 »

zacklyke wrote:Well suppose I give you the benefit of the doubt. Why not make 1 thread with all of your questions? Or finding other threads with appropriate topics to ask your miscellaneous life questions?
If I make one thread, then it would contain hundreds of questions, and it would be very difficult to keep track of all the responses. These are not miscellaneous life questions. These are specific technology and computer science questions. It seems the search box on Linux Mint is worse than Google's search. Or perhaps because other users have never asked what I've asked.
User avatar
zacklyke
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: Enough of this already

Post by zacklyke »

Hundreds of questions in one thread versus hundreds of threads in one forum? It would be easier for you to read one thread while people take numbered questions and answer them. It would also be easier for anybody else who wishes to use this area of the forum.
brawnypandora0

Re: Enough of this already

Post by brawnypandora0 »

zacklyke wrote:Hundreds of questions in one thread versus hundreds of threads in one forum? It would be easier for you to read one thread while people take numbered questions and answer them. It would also be easier for anybody else who wishes to use this area of the forum.
Oh that's a good idea. I never thought about that. Each post allows an unlimited amount of character space, right? Hundreds might turn into thousands before the year is over. One potential problem I foresee is that users might repeatedly answer the same questions over again, and I'd have to keep posting to say, "what's the answer to number 363," or "what's the answer to number 56."
User avatar
zacklyke
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: Enough of this already

Post by zacklyke »

Of all the forums on the Internet...
Elisa

Re: Enough of this already

Post by Elisa »

Beerislife wrote:Great tip, going to do so now.

As for "ignoring posts and moving on" yes, I agree, but it's annoying when you log-on to the forum and go to "View New Posts" and are confronted with a whole page of idiot questions.
:lol: :lol:
Beerislife
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:45 am
Location: In a cardboard box

Re: Enough of this already

Post by Beerislife »

Unfortunately, the "Add Foe" setting does not block the offending party completely. I still see the thread starters on the front page. Another boatload of idiot questions that 2 minutes on Google would solve greeted me when I just logged-in. Perhaps the OP is a Microsoft employee sent to disrupt Linux forums. There were quite a few in the old OS/2 groups back in the 90's slamming the OS and promoting Windows!

I'm afraid I've had enough and will pick up my ball and go play elsewhere. Now, where's the "unsubscribe" button?

Edit: Can't tell one year from the next!
Elisa

Re: Enough of this already

Post by Elisa »

brawnypandora0 wrote:...all of which I need to know...
...is to get known how to use google so move back to previous pages, I think 3rd? :lol: And study up those links about google searching ;-)
BTW you never answered one my q., so why I should kepp on 'your game' ? :roll:
brawnypandora0

Re: Enough of this already

Post by brawnypandora0 »

Beerislife wrote:Unfortunately, the "Add Foe" setting does not block the offending party completely. I still see the thread starters on the front page. Another boatload of idiot questions that 2 minutes on Google would solve greeted me when I just logged-in. Perhaps the OP is a Microsoft employee sent to disrupt Linux forums. There were quite a few in the old OS/2 groups back in the 90's slamming the OS and promoting Windows!

I'm afraid I've had enough and will pick up my ball and go play elsewhere. Now, where's the "unsubscribe" button?

Edit: Can't tell one year from the next!
huh? 2 hours on Google didn't solve many of my questions.
Elisa

Re: Enough of this already

Post by Elisa »

brawnypandora0 wrote:...
Now you really pissed me up - when I saw on the 4th page your question about how to use google and I have posted you cool 2 tips/links on the page 3... :x

I don't know how others but my patience is now over. Bye.
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Enough of this already

Post by randomizer »

brawnypandora0 wrote:It seems the search box on Linux Mint is worse than Google's search.
Of course it is. phpBB simply queries a database for any threads which contain the phrase you entered (which means you should keep it to a few keywords because nobody is going to type the exact same thing as you). Google uses an extremely complex algorithm for its search that determines the relevancy of each result.
brawnypandora0 wrote:Or perhaps because other users have never asked what I've asked.
On this forum that is quite likely. Most people will not instinctively register on a Linux forum to ask about movies or terrorists.
User avatar
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5060
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Mt. Angel, Oregon

Re: Enough of this already

Post by tdockery97 »

19 topics posted by #@!x*@ in the open chat section JUST TODAY? You've gotta be kidding. This used to be really good forums. I guess nothing lasts forever. :cry:
Mint MATE 20.1
brawnypandora0

Re: Enough of this already

Post by brawnypandora0 »

tdockery97 wrote:19 topics posted by #@!x*@ in the open chat section JUST TODAY? You've gotta be kidding. This used to be really good forums. I guess nothing lasts forever. :cry:
The rules don't say there's a limit to the number of posts. I think this forum is actually quite quiet compared to Yahoo Answers. I usually post in the Open Chat section, which doesn't have many posts to begin with.
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Enough of this already

Post by randomizer »

What have you got against Yahoo Answers? The greatest and most hilarious failures of human intelligence are born out of that place.
brawnypandora0

Re: Enough of this already

Post by brawnypandora0 »

randomizer wrote:What have you got against Yahoo Answers? The greatest and most hilarious failures of human intelligence are born out of that place.
I was born in a hospital. I don't use that site much anymore. But it's still a good representation of the general population.
JonM33

Re: Enough of this already

Post by JonM33 »

randomizer wrote:Of course it is. phpBB simply queries a database for any threads which contain the phrase you entered (which means you should keep it to a few keywords because nobody is going to type the exact same thing as you). Google uses an extremely complex algorithm for its search that determines the relevancy of each result.
If Google's search uses an extremely complex algorithm then what do you think phpBB's ability to search through SQL tables will be to this guy? It's probably rocket science to him.

The real question is whether he's even using Linux Mint at all. Why post here if you aren't using it?
brawnypandora0

Re: Enough of this already

Post by brawnypandora0 »

JonM33 wrote:
randomizer wrote:Of course it is. phpBB simply queries a database for any threads which contain the phrase you entered (which means you should keep it to a few keywords because nobody is going to type the exact same thing as you). Google uses an extremely complex algorithm for its search that determines the relevancy of each result.
If Google's search uses an extremely complex algorithm then what do you think phpBB's ability to search through SQL tables will be to this guy? It's probably rocket science to him.

The real question is whether he's even using Linux Mint at all. Why post here if you aren't using it?
I use it for my laptop. I'm still trying to figure out how to install it on my desktop. LOL I'm not American, but statistics have shown that almost twenty percent of Americans have never sent an email in their lives. Think those people have heard about Linux Mint or SQL?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9946706-7.html
Locked

Return to “Open chat”