What's your Internet plan?

Chat about just about anything else
brawnypandora0

What's your Internet plan?

Post by brawnypandora0 »

Does your Internet involve a technician coming to your home and installing a bunch of wires?

What if you only want wireless Internet and not wired Internet?

I heard that people who have cell phones can use their phone as a modem and therefore don't require an Internet plan at all. Is this true?

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: What's your Internet plan?

Post by JasonLG »

brawnypandora0 wrote:Does your Internet involve a technician coming to your home and installing a bunch of wires?

I heard that people who have cell phones can use their phone as a modem and therefore don't require an Internet plan at all. Is this true?
I have 7Mbs DSL through Qwest, I pay about $35US a month.

No, in my case a tech was not required to come to my house. And there was no wiring required as DSL uses the phone line. They mailed me a wireless modem/router and I set it up myself. It took all of about 2 minutes.

The best way to find out your wireless options would be to contact the internet providers in your area.

Yes you can tether some phones and use them to access the internet but you would need a data plan for the phone which can be costly and cellular networks are much slower then DSL or cable connections generally.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

NumberSeventeen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NumberSeventeen »

I have a 100/100Mbs line at my home.
The company send a technician to my home to install everything. Since it's a glass-fiber line it's not that easy to install it yourself, and they gave me a free wireless router if I let that guy in.

Together with phone and TV it costs about 50 Euro a month.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I have Wifi provided by the complex where I live for $4.99 one-time charge (that's right, been using it for a year now at no extra cost :shock: ). My average d/l speed is 9.2 Mbs (1152 KB/s).
From what I've heard that's blazing fast for Wifi. :D
Mint Cinnamon 19.3

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG »

tdockery97 wrote:I have Wifi provided by the complex where I live for $4.99 one-time charge (that's right, been using it for a year now at no extra cost :shock: ). My average d/l speed is 9.2 Mbs (1152 KB/s).
From what I've heard that's blazing fast for Wifi. :D
That an awesome deal. Where do I sign up? :)
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

I have two soup cans and a string.
det4100

Running Mint Debian

Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gramps50 »

det4100 wrote:I have two soup cans and a string.
Soup cans that beats my paper cups, still working on my pringle can parabolic antenee
LMDE ROCKS!!!

JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

brawnypandora0 wrote:Does your Internet involve a technician coming to your home and installing a bunch of wires?

I have 15Mbps cable from TimeWarner. They did have to send a tech out with the cable bridge and confirm that there was internet access. I have my own wireless router but I only use wireless for my Sony PS3. My PC is connected to the router via Cat6 cable.

Yes, people can tether their internet off of a cell phone if they pay for it. Most cell providers require a tethering fee. You are also limited in speed according to your signal strength.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

JonM33 wrote:Yes, people can tether their internet off of a cell phone if they pay for it. Most cell providers require a tethering fee. You are also limited in speed according to your signal strength.
Plus some of the not-so-generous providers have "unlimited" plans that in fact limit you to 5GB per month bandwidth usage. After hitting the limit they slow your speed. :shock:
Mint Cinnamon 19.3

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

I have 384k asdl

I did it myself and setup my wireless rooter after that

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

tdockery97 wrote:Plus some of the not-so-generous providers have "unlimited" plans that in fact limit you to 5GB per month bandwidth usage. After hitting the limit they slow your speed. :shock:
Not sure which is worse, slowing your speed or charging you for the additional bandwidth?

Return to “Open chat”