Forum Membership Ranks/Levels, Why?

Chat about just about anything else
Theologian

Forum Membership Ranks/Levels, Why?

Post by Theologian »

Why are forum members accorded ranks/levels?
What is this ranking system based upon?
Is it based upon the number of postings made by a forum member?
Does not the according of forum rank impose an unnecessary hierarchy upon the forum members?
Does not accordance of rank presuppose a certain accordance of status?
Does not accordance of status presuppose societal stratification?
Does not societal stratification presuppose elitism?
Does not elitism presuppose apartheid?
Does not apartheid presuppose the dehumanisation of those who are not of the elite caste?
Do you get the gist of the direction where this line of questioning may lead?
As it is of no good value to me, may I have all indication of rank/level status removed from my profile?
Would I have gained more 'rank credits' if I had asked all these questions in 12 separate posts?
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Forum Membership Ranks/Levels, Why?

Post by proxima_centauri »

It's a level, not a rank. It is dependent on the number of posts a user makes. As such, your arguments fall short and don't make sense in the context of a forum; elitism and apartheid have no relevance here (maybe I missed your point). Any user can "climb the levels" however quickly or slowly he or she chooses, based on participation.

The forum levels can be a useful indication for novices who is a trusted source, or at the very least active in the community. Certainly this is not without exceptions, but I find nothing inherently insidious about it.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

Theologian,

The only conclusion one should draw from the level is that the user has asked and/or answered the indicated number of posts. These may have been merely comments to others posts up to and including asking and/or answering complex technical questions.

Any other conclusions drawn would be at best misleading and erroneous.

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

Theologian wrote:Why are forum members accorded ranks/levels?
You ask Why?
I suppose the simplest answer to that question is why not, unless you showed that it somehow mattered to most users !

Perhaps a nice academic discussion as a question or project for a class in philosophy or theology or some other 'ologism; but informs the reader of nothing, other than activity of that user.

As such, it is no better or worse than something, such as distrowatch to rank choices, as in the query
  • I am a new Linux user (ex-windows) Which Linux should I try that is similar enough to windows that it won't blow my mind...
    --I hear you have to be really smart to use Linux, is that true ?
Sometimes a question is not worthy of an answer, as it is too meandering or of only academic interest
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

First of all, many thanks for your replies, and fair comments.

Yes, it was something of an academic question - applied ethics actually, so of a certain relevance in relation to societies/organisations/even discussion forums. The reason I asked, which I should have mentioned, perhaps, is that some Linux forums do seem - to me - somewhat elitist or 'sectarian', even trollish, although certainly not this one, which is the friendliest and most clear speaking one I've encountered; a good thing, since LinuxMint is my mainstay.

Perhaps this post could be removed, as it may not have any inherent value to the purpose of either LinuxMint or its community.

Many thanks again.
Last edited by Theologian on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I think Theologian asked some good questions. My opinion is that showing the number of posts is good enough; the level indicator isn't needed, and perhaps sends the wrong message.
zacklyke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zacklyke »

I don't really have any problem being told with a graphic how active people are in a message board community. It's how most of these online forums work. At the very least it just lets you know how devoted they are to this site, which by most accounts means they are probably pretty devoted to Linux Mint. Certainly nothing wrong with that!
Txnca
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Txnca »

When I first joined here I took note of what certain people were saying and weighing it according to how many posts they had made. :? I now know that was foolish on my part, but it did help with a lot of stuff I was reading. When I would come across one of Fred's posts or DrHu's posts I knew that what they had to say would mean more than say something coming from myself. Again, I know now that is erroneous and it didn't take me long to realize that it was so.

No, now I know that it matters not who is posting, as a lot of people here who have posted less than I have know more about Linux than I do. I also use my own understanding of Linux and computers in general to make an educated "guess"(for lack of a better word) as to what I should do to fix some issue that I may be having. I have also come to learn that Google is my friend! :lol: Especially when it comes to using and learning and fixing Linux. Not everything you come across will work, and not everything you try will work, but the answer is usually out there some where, and 90% of the time I have found it right here in these forums.

Which brings me to say Thanks guys for all the help yall have given me over the last year! Without it, I wouldn't still be here. Again, Thanks! :D
Asus P5E MB/Intel C2D E8400@3Ghz/6GB Corsair Dominator DRAM/nVidia 8800GT 512MB
8xHDD 3.82TB
LG 22x DVD Burner
Logitec 5.1 Speakers/High Def Sound
Antec Tower/480w PSU
Samsung 22" LCD Monitor
APC 1300-XS UPS
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

proxima_centauri wrote:It's a level, not a rank. It is dependent on the number of posts a user makes. As such, your arguments fall short and don't make sense in the context of a forum; elitism and apartheid have no relevance here (maybe I missed your point). Any user can "climb the levels" however quickly or slowly he or she chooses, based on participation.

The forum levels can be a useful indication for novices who is a trusted source, or at the very least active in the community. Certainly this is not without exceptions, but I find nothing inherently insidious about it.
YOU are wrong! JK
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

It seems clear that level is based on the number of posts, rather than their relevance, in that fifty random or barely relevant posts will raise a forum member by a level, but a single technical post that is of genuine value and help to forum members - many of whom are learning to use what is effectively an 'alien' system to them - is just another post. That such a system is in widespread use on internet forums doesn't make it useful: all it shows is that the dog that barks most gets more treats: re: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 73#p339760

By this system of evaluation, if you start a 'flame-war' and maintain your engagement, then your ratings will sky-rocket!

Oh look, I've attained Level 2!
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Theologian wrote:By this system of evaluation, if you start a 'flame-war' and maintain your engagement, then your ratings will sky-rocket!
Or just post a reply saying "Welcome!" each time you see someone new posting in the "Introduce yourself" section! :lol:
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

MALsPa wrote:
Theologian wrote:By this system of evaluation, if you start a 'flame-war' and maintain your engagement, then your ratings will sky-rocket!
Or just post a reply saying "Welcome!" each time you see someone new posting in the "Introduce yourself" section! :lol:
Too right: there are 'Level 25' members who only joined last week! :mrgreen:
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

There is no "rating". I assume that you are talking about the "Level XX" ranks? These are just like any typical ranks that forums have. These are not relevant to anything. It doesn't make a user more special than another just as post count does not.

A user rating is common on some forums as "reputation". There, if a user is helpful/etc then you can click on a voting scale to improve their reputation. Rarely do I see it that you can vote their reputation down. Some people get hung up on this "reputation". Not sure why. I help people to help people, regardless of whether I am thanked or not later on. I'm glad that the Mint forums does not feature "reputation" voting. The last thing we need are egos around here.
Theologian

Post by Theologian »

JonM33 wrote: A user rating is common on some forums as "reputation". There, if a user is helpful/etc then you can click on a voting scale to improve their reputation. Rarely do I see it that you can vote their reputation down. Some people get hung up on this "reputation". Not sure why.
Good point about the reputation thing, 'gold stars' and-all-that-jazz. I can see how ridiculous that can become very quickly.
Even a 'Tech' rating would be unnecessary, and could easily cause a 'guru-contest'.
On this forum, anyway, the Index and Guidelines are clear enough, and newcomers soon learn where to look.
It's the (technical) advice that matters, rather than the poster, which is why I question the need or value of having any 'level rating' at all.
JonM33 wrote:I help people to help people, regardless of whether I am thanked or not later on.
Precisely: I can't remember which sage(s) said something along the lines of, 'The giver should be grateful for having the ability to give, without expecting thanks from the receiver, who may have never been thanked in their entire life.'

Return to “Open chat”