Google's Chrome 8: What's New, What's Next

Chat about just about anything else
Post Reply
User avatar
JonM33
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 635
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:40 am
Location: Ohio

Google's Chrome 8: What's New, What's Next

Post by JonM33 »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/212299/g ... _next.html
The blogosphere may be buzzing about Google's Chrome OS and Chrome Web Store this week, but Google itself is focusing on its original Chrome product: the Chrome Web browser.

Google announced the launch of Chrome 8.0.552.215 at its official Chrome blog Thursday afternoon. The update brings a number of changes and -- perhaps more important -- paves the way for some big things ahead.

So what's new in Google Chrome 8? Quite a bit, actually -- though many of the changes are under the hood. Google Chrome 8 introduces more than 800 bug fixes and stability improvements. Those tweaks and other security patches make up the bulk of the progress.

One new feature that's immediately noticeable is the addition of a built-in PDF viewer, something that had been floating around in developer builds for several months. According to Chromium Engineering Director Marc Pawliger, the built-in PDF viewer lets the browser "render [PDF files] as seamlessly as HTML Web pages," without the need for a standalone Adobe Reader installation. All PDFs are also contained in what's called a sandbox, which basically means they're isolated and won't affect the security or performance of any other parts of the system.
Google Chrome 8 looks the same as the original Beta. A lot has changed internally but that doesn't warrant an entire version number change. Are they trying to compete with Opera or IE for the highest version number?
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer

User avatar
Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:36 am

Re: Google's Chrome 8: What's New, What's Next

Post by Gramps50 »

Wonder how long it will be before it is available in the repros?
LMDE ROCKS!!!

Troy
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Google's Chrome 8: What's New, What's Next

Post by Troy »

Does chrome have a lot of ad-dons like FireFox does?

User avatar
Susu
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:09 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Re: Google's Chrome 8: What's New, What's Next

Post by Susu »

Troy wrote:Does chrome have a lot of ad-dons like FireFox does?
Well, have a look: https://chrome.google.com/extensions?hl=en-US
At the end of the day, it's what you do, not what you say...

User avatar
JonM33
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 635
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:40 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Google's Chrome 8: What's New, What's Next

Post by JonM33 »

Troy wrote:Does chrome have a lot of ad-dons like FireFox does?
Not even close and most of the extensions are because Chrome is a rather featureless browser with very little options.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer

AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:51 pm
Location: Vancouver, WA

Re: Google's Chrome 8: What's New, What's Next

Post by AndrewH »

JonM33 wrote:Google Chrome 8 looks the same as the original Beta. A lot has changed internally but that doesn't warrant an entire version number change. Are they trying to compete with Opera or IE for the highest version number?
Who are you to say how a person or company uses version numbers? Why does it even matter? Do you suffer from arithmophobia?

I find FireFox quite annoying with its constant reminders about updates for the browser and addons. At least Chrome updates itself and its extensions silently (in Windows). I wouldn't even know what version of Chrome I run unless I intentionally go to the options and select "About Google Chrome".
JonM33 wrote:
Troy wrote:Does chrome have a lot of ad-dons like FireFox does?
Not even close and most of the extensions are because Chrome is a rather featureless browser with very little options.
Firefox has been around much longer than Chrome, obviously it's going to have more addons. Since when has quantity been a mark of quality?

I'd rather have a "featureless" browser which I can extend through addons than a bloated one with features I'll never use. It's all a matter of perspective and... I hesitate to say it... C H O I C E. :twisted:

Both browsers probably have all the addons you'd ever need or want, plus several thousand you'd never even consider using.

User avatar
JonM33
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 635
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:40 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Google's Chrome 8: What's New, What's Next

Post by JonM33 »

AndrewH wrote:
JonM33 wrote:Google Chrome 8 looks the same as the original Beta. A lot has changed internally but that doesn't warrant an entire version number change. Are they trying to compete with Opera or IE for the highest version number?
Who are you to say how a person or company uses version numbers? Why does it even matter? Do you suffer from arithmophobia?

I find FireFox quite annoying with its constant reminders about updates for the browser and addons. At least Chrome updates itself and its extensions silently (in Windows). I wouldn't even know what version of Chrome I run unless I intentionally go to the options and select "About Google Chrome".
Because it's a standard? Major changes vs minor changes? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

You wouldn't know which version you run because they are all the same not counting internal tweaks and improvements. Visually you couldn't tell a difference between the new version and the Beta released 2 years ago.
AndrewH wrote:
JonM33 wrote:
Troy wrote:Does chrome have a lot of ad-dons like FireFox does?
Not even close and most of the extensions are because Chrome is a rather featureless browser with very little options.
Firefox has been around much longer than Chrome, obviously it's going to have more addons. Since when has quantity been a mark of quality?

I'd rather have a "featureless" browser which I can extend through addons than a bloated one with features I'll never use. It's all a matter of perspective and... I hesitate to say it... C H O I C E. :twisted:

Both browsers probably have all the addons you'd ever need or want, plus several thousand you'd never even consider using.
Since when did I say that quantity was a mark of quality?

Firefox isn't bloated. In fact, it's rather plain when you compare it to Opera, which includes a load of "bloated" features. Not sure where you conjure up that Firefox is bloated.

You sound like a Chrome fanatic that is a bit upset that someone pointed out flaws in their favorite toy. I'm an Opera user, so knock Firefox all you want. It won't hurt my feelings. Knock Opera all you want too, I still won't care. It's just software.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer

Post Reply

Return to “Open chat”