Linux Mint Annoyances

Chat about just about anything else
NimaSepassi
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint Annoyances

Post by NimaSepassi » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:58 am

What annoys you the most about Linux Mint?
Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate [Plurality must never be posited without necessity], aka Occam's Razor.

dotdotdot
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint Annoyances

Post by dotdotdot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:03 am

The green, I dislike green!

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:24 am

Anything that annoyed me took all of 5 minutes to rectify with the help of google and a bit of learning to do things a different way than with windoze!!!
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markcynt » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:27 am

NimaSepassi, what annoys you the most about Linux Mint?
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:33 am

that I do not know everything

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

genogebot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by genogebot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:08 pm

That it still doesn't support my hardware as well as Windows (yes, I know the reasons... but that doesn't make it easier), and that I have to retain a Windows installation to perform some tasks that simply are not possible with current Linux software, and that the software in the repos is so old compared to the latest versions available from the developer's website - sometimes it's over a year out of date. Again, I know the reasons ... it's a huge and thankless task keeping up with all of the software version releases, but that doesn't make it less annoying when I want to do something that is only possible with recent versions of software.

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:23 pm

genogebot wrote:That it still doesn't support my hardware as well as Windows (yes, I know the reasons... but that doesn't make it easier), and that I have to retain a Windows installation to perform some tasks that simply are not possible with current Linux software, and that the software in the repos is so old compared to the latest versions available from the developer's website - sometimes it's over a year out of date. Again, I know the reasons ... it's a huge and thankless task keeping up with all of the software version releases, but that doesn't make it less annoying when I want to do something that is only possible with recent versions of software.

Yes it is true that sometimes Linux is a bit behind in regard to hardware drivers BUT that is NOT Linux's fault as you may know MOST manufacturers use proprietary drivers that the source code are very often unavailable to the general public UNLIKE open source.When manufacturers do realize that Linux is a viable alternative you will see more hardware made available to us ...in the mean time just look online to see what is supported I think you may be amazed !
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

Dave Ganasson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dave Ganasson » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:01 am

genogebot wrote:That it still doesn't support my hardware as well as Windows (yes, I know the reasons... but that doesn't make it easier), and that I have to retain a Windows installation to perform some tasks that simply are not possible with current Linux software, and that the software in the repos is so old compared to the latest versions available from the developer's website - sometimes it's over a year out of date. Again, I know the reasons ... it's a huge and thankless task keeping up with all of the software version releases, but that doesn't make it less annoying when I want to do something that is only possible with recent versions of software.
Good points, its pretty handy having a windows partition for other occasional things like updating a bios, in win its a case of clicking on a .exe mini app, in Linux its a case of needing 10 post grad degrees in the sciences :roll:

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:22 am

Is this about Linux Mint per se or Linux overall?

My Logitech webcam doesn't have the ability to pan or zoom AFAIK. Not sure if I can control the background noise suppression either. I rarely use it anyway so no big deal.

The included CD/DVD burning software is flawed. Someone needs to do some work on Brasero - not the fault of the Mint team though. I ended up getting Nero Linux 4 instead. Works flawlessly.

Being new to totally using just Linux I can't say I find anything in Mint annoying. I made some tweaks to the interface to my liking and I've had a short learning curve but overall I am completely satisfied. I think what I like the most is that it has been the only major Linux distro that worked completely out of the box.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer

hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hemimaniac » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:36 am

JonM33 wrote:Is this about Linux Mint per se or Linux overall?

My Logitech webcam doesn't have the ability to pan or zoom AFAIK. Not sure if I can control the background noise suppression either. I rarely use it anyway so no big deal.

The included CD/DVD burning software is flawed. Someone needs to do some work on Brasero - not the fault of the Mint team though. I ended up getting Nero Linux 4 instead. Works flawlessly.

Being new to totally using just Linux I can't say I find anything in Mint annoying. I made some tweaks to the interface to my liking and I've had a short learning curve but overall I am completely satisfied. I think what I like the most is that it has been the only major Linux distro that worked completely out of the box.
k3b is your all in one rip, burn package, try it, i promise you'll love it
"Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'"

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:58 am

hemimaniac wrote:k3b is your all in one rip, burn package, try it, i promise you'll love it
Tried it. It wasn't finalizing DVD media. Everything else worked but when I set "No Multisession" it still wouldn't finalize the media.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:29 am

I use Dvede and K3B and have had absolutely no difficulties with making movies .They work in synch with each other I have burned about 150 movies ranging from home videos to high quality downloads ...The downloads are generally movies that are no longer available in store.like 1958s Thunder Road with Robert Michum ETC.

NimaSepassi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NimaSepassi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:40 pm

markcynt wrote:NimaSepassi, what annoys you the most about Linux Mint?
mark, this thread is about you, not about me.
Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate [Plurality must never be posited without necessity], aka Occam's Razor.

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:14 pm

Okay, one thing that annoys me on Linux is having to set permissions on an external USB drive after you format it.

NimaSepassi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NimaSepassi » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:52 pm

NimaSepassi wrote:
markcynt wrote:NimaSepassi, what annoys you the most about Linux Mint?
mark, this thread is about you, not about me.
Well I guess since you asked. Right what annoys me most is that it feels so much like Windows.

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:16 pm

Now that I REALLY think about it, I think it's the hostility in the Linux community that annoys me the most.

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:32 am

Another thing that annoys me is the restrictive environment due to lack of software options in Linux. You figure FOSS gives a lot of freedom to create a lot of options? No, in Linux you are restricted with very few options. Most of them have so many bugs that nobody wants to admit to them and fix them. The common developer statement is, "Couldn't reproduce bug." Then they close the bug report.

With Windows you have a lot of options. Sure, some of it you have to pay for but that's no big deal. The "F" in FOSS doesn't have anything to do with cost.

The more annoying part is how many Linux users resort to running Windows based apps in WINE. So much for your FOSS and "Windows sucks" philosophy.

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:20 am

JonM33 wrote:Another thing that annoys me is the restrictive environment due to lack of software options in Linux. You figure FOSS gives a lot of freedom to create a lot of options? No, in Linux you are restricted with very few options. Most of them have so many bugs that nobody wants to admit to them and fix them. The common developer statement is, "Couldn't reproduce bug." Then they close the bug report.

With Windows you have a lot of options. Sure, some of it you have to pay for but that's no big deal. The "F" in FOSS doesn't have anything to do with cost.

The more annoying part is how many Linux users resort to running Windows based apps in WINE. So much for your FOSS and "Windows sucks" philosophy.
The reason for windoze crap having to be used in wine is because of the closed source codes that M$ uses the rest of your rant does not hold water any more than a sieve. If you want windoze use windoze don't blame everyone for your own failures !

Eko_taas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eko_taas » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:13 am

JonM33 wrote:Now that I REALLY think about it, I think it's the hostility in the Linux community that annoys me the most.
I (almost) agree, but Mint community (has proven at least for me) to be better kind (read newbee friendly). Has been actually very positive....

What is even more "funny" (read sad) is very strong opinions (++ and mainly ---) about MS-OS. How many of us can (really) avoid it 110% (especially in work, where OpenSource (at least in user laptops/ PCs) is still considered as security-risk (even if I don't agree, who cares as everything build around it).

I just love Mint (in private, actually w/o asked annoyances), but (still) cannot survive w/o MS (in office).

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:41 am

Eko_taas wrote:I (almost) agree, but Mint community (has proven at least for me) to be better kind (read newbee friendly). Has been actually very positive...
A prime example is above, posted by grey1960envoy. Such negative people are always a part of the Linux community. People like grey1960envoy hold Linux back.

Return to “Open chat”