Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Chat about just about anything else
NumberSeventeen
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by NumberSeventeen »

Jup, both of my systems run Mint.
No Windows or Apple back-up.

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

andreaborman wrote:I have installed Linux mint 9 alongside Windows 7 on one of my laptops. But I would never advise replacing Windows with Linux as you only operating system. First of all you are running Linux on a Windows computer that is made for Windows with a Windows bootloader.Although you can install Linux alongside Windows. unless you buy a Linux computer,you cannot uninstall windows and replace it totally with Linux only.

but you can install Linux alongside of windows and if you do not want to use windows-don't. Just boot into Linux. But Linux has limited functions compared to Windows.

A lot of software is not compatible with Linux and only works on Windows and linux is more difficult to use than Windows in my experience.

Although Linux is all right for browsing the web,when you want to do more advanced things,you still need Windows to do them. My HP web camb settings can only be controlled and customized on windows,not Linux. Where the video quality is not so good.

And remember, you are after all ,using Linux on a computer built for Windows, so although you can install Linux beside it. It is still a Windows computer with Windows as it's main software,although when you install Linux,Linux software is added.

And why would you want to get rid of Windows anyway,when it is so user friendly and good,even a child can use it. Andrea Borman.
I beg to differ with this whole argument as I am running Mint 9 on an eMchines E625 and LMDE on a Dell Inspiron 1525 WITH NO OTHER OS's on either. As a matter of fact my home is 100% windoze free. I did build a hackintosh just to play with but it is not used at all lately . As for your statement "why would I want to get rid of windoze" this is easy ,WHY spend a fortune on OS's that I don't like to use? M$ is a lousy corporation that uses underhanded methods to quash the competition whenever they can. The fact is even when Bill Gates started M$ he did it by using OTHER people's intellectual property! I still have found no real issues using Linux based systems. I would also like to point out that "more advanced " things can be very easily accomplished with Linux, have you even tried ? BTW READ MY SIG ; do you see anything about M$ ???except where it belongs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

Murdock
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Murdock »

grey1960envoy wrote: I am running Mint 9 on an eMchines E625 and LMDE on a Dell Inspiron 1525 WITH NO OTHER OS's on either. As a matter of fact my home is 100% windoze free.
More guys like you and I need to sell my stock in Windex . :shock: :mrgreen:
Pura Vida.
Arenal Botanical Garden
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica

Susu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Susu »

Been using Linux OS's exclusively since the first day of 2003.
At the end of the day, it's what you do, not what you say...

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

Murdock wrote:
grey1960envoy wrote: I am running Mint 9 on an eMchines E625 and LMDE on a Dell Inspiron 1525 WITH NO OTHER OS's on either. As a matter of fact my home is 100% windoze free.
More guys like you and I need to sell my stock in Windex . :shock: :mrgreen:

Maybe invest in an electric power supply company :lol: :lol: :lol: Gotta get back to the BATCAVE :P :mrgreen:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

d00med
Level 4
Level 4

Post by d00med »

grey1960envoy wrote: I beg to differ with this whole argument as I am running Mint 9 on an eMchines E625 and LMDE on a Dell Inspiron 1525 WITH NO OTHER OS's on either.
Yeah, this quote
andreaborman wrote:Although you can install Linux alongside Windows. unless you buy a Linux computer,you cannot uninstall windows and replace it totally with Linux only.
isn't true at all. You can easily format the drive that has Windows on it and install Linux. I've been doing this for more than a decade. Strange argument.

I'll switch completely to Linux when a media player supports Blu-ray straight from disc, if that ever happens. I'm bored and fed up with Windows.

Rifester

Post by Rifester »

LMDE and Debian Squeeze only in this house... :) EVERY day that I use my XP work computer reminds me why I don't use Windows at home. I have heard from a friend who works in IT that Windows 7 is great, I'll never know.

cliste
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cliste »

I haven't used Windows in a good while, but like most people I have Windows on the laptop that I just don't log into (In fact last time I logged in was to make more space for LMDE :mrgreen:

I think it's extremely hard to escape the grasps of Windows when work comes into play. As I am still in college I have the advantage of having OpenSUSE available for use in college, but I know I'll be using Windows in work once I graduate :(

I don't think that there's been anything that I haven't been able to do on Mint that I've needed to for college/work hunting. I pdf all my CV's to bombproof the formatting, in terms of any programming needed for college R, Freemat, and Latex have me more than covered. I would still love to do a course in how to use linux though, I keep getting stuck on little things :oops:
http://riomhaireacht.webs.com/ (On the off-chance that there are some Irish speakers reading my sig :) )
If anyone knows anything about Laptop VGA output I would be much obliged!

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

The Arch Linux wiki (and the forums) can be a good resource even for non-Arch-based distros. There's usually an article on just about every major package you can think of. Often a broad initial search about an issue for me brings up a wiki page as a high ranking result. I sometimes add "arch" as part of my search string just to see if a wiki entry has anything relevant that I might find useful.

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andreaborman »

I have a Windows 7 Netbook an HP Mini 210 and so like all Netbooks it has no CD drive so if I uninstalled Windows I would not have a computer any more. No operating system at all,unless I installed Linux Mint first as my only operating system. But the problem is the only way I could install Linux Mint on my Netbook,which is installed alongside Windows 7. Is the mount it on virtual clone drive the I.S.O CD file that is which then opens the Mint 4 Windows installer. I found out the way to install Linux Mint as I did from the How-To-Geek-website.

But as my Netbook is built as a Windows 7 Netbook,I do not thing you can uninstall Windows anyway.And what if the time came to take it in for repairs? If HP or the place you bought it from knew you had replaced Windows with Linux wouldn't they refuse to repair or give any support if the laptop went wrong with the computer?

And more important-How would you be able to reinstall windows again if you changed your mind and wanted it? Although it is true I upgraded from Windows 7 Starter to Ultimate but I was on Windows. How would you install Windows on Linux? You cannot just download it from the Internet? Well, actually I would not know how to do it anyway on Linux because I find I can only install most software from the package manager. And in Linux unless it is a deb file or already in the package it does not install anyway.

I have read you can install windows from a CD but where can you buy a windows CD. I have a well known and big electrical store just down the road from me. They sell computers,laptops and TVs and other electrical's and digital stuff. But I don't think they have got windows CDs. So where would you get a Windows XP,Windows Vista or Windows 7 CD from?

I have also read and seen on You Tube how to download Linux from the Internet onto a usb stick or a blank CD then install onto your computer through windows if you have a CD drive. And true,I can always buy a CD drive and plug it into my usb plug socket on my Netbook and run it that way. To play CDs or boot from them.

But I have not seen a Windows 7 CD download on the Microsoft website. and I don't know if Microsoft will let you download the I.S.O file from Linux,as i cannot find any information on this.

And I don't know how to do this on Linux. So is it not better to either just set Linux as your default operating system,so every time your computer starts it boots into Linux rather than uninstalling windows? And this way you have the chice of using windows or Linux. I have 2 Netbooks both HP mini 210,one has got Windows 7 only,and the other one has both windows 7 and Linux Mint 9. which I installed myself. If I do not do anything it boots by default into Linux unless I select Windows. But this way I have the choice of booting into either windows or Linux.

A much safer option than uninstalling Windows and it seems that Microsoft are very strict as if you have Windows 7 they won't let you install IE6 or IE7 only IE9. Because when you try to download IE6 or 7 on Wndows 7 it won't let you do it. So would it let you install or reinstall Windows from Linux? I don't think so but I could be wrong,but I do not want to try it out in case you cannot do it. It is better to be safe than sorry. Andrea Borman.
Last edited by andreaborman on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

I have two Linux only machines, one desktop I built myself and a Acer Revo that my son has. Both have Mint 10 exclusively. I'm currently on a work laptop with XP which is not great and if I could hack into the bios and change the boot sequence I'd be using a linux USB right now.

I honestly have no use for Windows any more (I don't game, well on a pc anyway) and everything else is more easily and efficiently achieved using Linux. For reference my work laptop is a Dell Latitude E6400 with 4GB RAM and runs approximately half as fast as my desktop which is only running an E2180 (minimal cache) with 2GB RAM and an ancient graphics card!
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M

piquat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by piquat »

Well, I will NEVER get rid of Windows.

Ya, I said it!

I also have a ball peen hammer and a claw hammer.
I've got a 4X4 truck and a sporty little two door.
I have boots and shoes and sandals.

Linux and Windows both have their purposes. I support Windows machines at work. When work switches to 7, I'll be one step ahead.

Getting completely rid of windows would be like throwing my boots out because their heavier than my shoes and don't look as good.
They sure do work nice in the snow and rain...

Imhoteps
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Imhoteps »

andreaborman wrote:..But as my Netbook is built as a Windows 7 Netbook,I do not thing you can uninstall windows anyway..
Gee...
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/02/2 ... -computer/
ANY hidden partition, ANY DATA can be removed easily!!!
Only comps which are built for exact OS are superoverpriced half-bitten apples.
Windows 8: Designed to fail

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

ElectricRider wrote:I came across this on a popular notebook forum and thought it would be interesting to share.

The title of the post is: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?
found here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/linux-c ... linux.html
i can't vote there
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll
i use only Linux from 2006

xp runs in virtualbox so i can update the traffic lights of my garmin once a month
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

ElectricRider wrote:.... I wonder how that translates into the greater world around us." An interesting question....
Usage Share Statistics for Internet Technologies...and heres your answer
Saturday, January 01, 2011: Windows 7 Passes 20% Global Usage Share, Windows 7 passed 20% in global usage share in December, gaining 1.18% from November.
Wednesday, September 01, 2010: iOS Tops Linux

oh well, what to do and say. Anyways, I've been a distro hopper for about a year and at the end of experimenting, i always tend to go back to mint.

i was a big gnome fan till i discovered KDE, LM9 KDE, and I've been using it (LM9 KDE) as my main OS in my quad boot environment. But yes sir-re, there are some really tasty distros coming about, and i can say Pardus 2011 is shaping up lovely. What on earth is happening with the LM10 KDE? its been posted on the testing thread (mint community website) as 100% tested about 4 days ago??? any ideas o.0
Attachments
Usage Share Statistics for Internet Technologies
Usage Share Statistics for Internet Technologies
stats.jpg (147.03 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG laptop ~ LM 19.3 64bit Cinnamon - Win 10 - Ubuntu 20.04

libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

Sole? No. Primary? Yes. Three computers, from oldest to newest:

1) iMac G5. It just keeps on ticking, although the obsolete PowerPC processor limits what can be done with it. Essential for iTunes/iPod, and running MS Entourage e-mail client that is required to access e-mail at my former place of employment (yes, there is a web alternative, but it sucks even worse than Entourage). Mac Addressbook remains my favorite app for printing envelopes. I have better image editing software on the iMac, plus the big screen is nice.

2) Acer AA1 netbook. Ubuntu installed in a 32gb partition alongside XP on a 160gb HDD. I removed the HDD last year, and replaced it with a 32gb SSD, Ubuntu only. The HDD gets plugged in every 60-90 days for the painful experience of applying XP patches and security updates; other than that, the HDD gathers dust. The HDD (which I have mounted in a portable enclosure) would get more use if XP could boot from a USB drive, but it won't (Linux works just fine). LMDE is my sandbox, and runs off an 8gb SDHC card. This machine is my "daily driver" and does most of what I need to do on a regular basis. Because Linux is so configurable, I've come to prefer my customized user interface to Mac OS.

3) Google Chrome OS notebook. As a pilot program participant, it seems unethical to me to replace Chrome OS with Linux, even though this is possible. Plus, I get the free 100gb/month data plan from Verizon for 2 years, which makes the Cr-48 usable in places where the Acer can not access the net. When the pilot program is over, I'll have to decide if I want to stick with Chrome OS, or switch to Linux. At this point, Linux would win hands down, but it's early in the Chrome OS project, so the jury is out.

While I far prefer Linux to any of the alternatives, the fact remains that there are some proprietary apps for which no comparable Linux substitute exists.

deleted

Post by deleted »

Yes. For the past 8 years.
I needed a cheap 64 bit platform for development. Back in the day, Kanotix was based on SID and was one of the first 64 bit and 32 bit Linux distros.
Kanotix-> sidux-> (dabbled in OpenSUSE, OpenSolaris)-> and now Mint 64/#!.
-Hinto

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

For the past 3 years I just run Linux, well Linux Mint.

I also dont think it will change fast, and if I had my way I would also just run linux on my work pc, but hey, that is what my laptop is for

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

BigSteve_G
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BigSteve_G »

Been almost a year now since I switch my main system & laptop entirety to Linux Mint, now the only time I use Windows XP (apart from at work) is in virtualbox for printing & scanning (but thats only until I get a Linux compatible printer & scanner.

I even wiped Windows 7 off my parents brand new laptop & replaced it with Mint 8 - now they find it a lot easier to use & love "these new things" meaning Mint & cool app's.

As for the "Windows machines can only run Windows" - its things like that stopping the growth of Linux but if its a problem my solution would be remove the 'Designed for Windows' tag & replace it with a 'Powered by Mint' one (I did). From what I've seen this past year I say Linux is capable of more things then Windows at a fraction of the cost (as in paying for broadband (still cheaper))
I've fixed Windows, tried running with Jackalopes, fought Koalas & now, I'm addicted to Mints

Now with half a decade running Linux mint, still enjoying it & still learning!

http://www.facebook.com/itsbigsteve

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa »

Now, I just run Linux on my PC, LinuxMint 9 and Kubuntu 10.10 permanently and some other distros using a partial time, when testing them, like:
e.g. SkoleLinux, Aptosid, Kororaa, Privatix, Amnesia, Backtrack, M0n0wall, PfSense, Netsecl, Pentoo, ELE (http://northernsecurity.net/download/ele)...
If the testing ones are cool, I make by remastersys a "snap" of them, burn the snap so whenever, I can continue on them... :wink:
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

Return to “Open chat”