Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Chat about just about anything else
Lostwithaclue
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by Lostwithaclue » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:39 pm

rob2uk wrote:
Asterisk wrote:Mine doesn't even have one.
Then your copy of Windows is technically not legitimate
I don't think he has Windows on his computer.

Lostwithaclue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lostwithaclue » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:54 pm

ibm450 wrote:
dawgdoc wrote:
ibm450 wrote:the super computer currently is running on linux
ibm450, how could you mislead people so. :shock: I read just a few short months ago that a lot of the supercomputers are running windows. Out of the top 500 supercomputers there were FIVE running Windows. :roll:

None of the Windows supercomputers are in the Top 10 fastest. One scored high enough to break into the Top 10, and it is the only Windows supercomputer to break the petaflop barrier, sadly :wink: the owners did not even enter it into the top 500. It could only be entered in the record once, and since it scored higher running Linux they ignored its Windows abilities. :lol:

ibm450 - I agree with you, I am in the Linux camp. I do not believe you were misleading people. The supercomputer stuff is true, but I do not see that it helping support the cause of Windows supporters. http://www.networkworld.com/community/b ... oses-top-5
lol

loved this bit...
But only five of the Top 500 computers were using Windows while 459 use Linux. Microsoft officials would surely love to improve upon that number, but realize they are unlikely to ever catch Linux in this ranking.
thanks for the links, interesting read, gosh, interesting specs http://www.top500.org/system/details/10587
I had no idea, thanks for the link. http://www.top500.org/stats/list/36/os has it broke down by type of OS and I found a nice piece on Watson http://www.novell.com/promo/suse/ibm-watson.html

Sometimes I wonder how MS stays in business with Windows.

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:36 pm

Lostwithaclue wrote:
You can also go the route I took; make a Hackintosh for around $35 CDN. Buy the disk and use it in a laptop ( Intel processors work the best)
I have thought about the Hackintosh but I didn't know if it would work with Virtual Box right out of the box. I'm sure I could have someone send me the DVD. Is the installation as simple as it sounds?

I installed it in about 3 hours and it worked right away(although I did use a spare HDD for it instead of dual booting) this way if I bork something :oops: it is only the one OS that is messed up and not both :wink:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

Lostwithaclue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lostwithaclue » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:11 am

Think I'll give it a try.

germanix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by germanix » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Linux has been my sole OS since Ubuntu 8.04. Changed to Linux Mint 9 and am now happily using Mint 10. I cannot imagine ever going back to Windows again.
a man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:58 pm

I'm still trying to understand why people still use that POS virus pretending to be an OS and cannot think of one good reason :lol: I had a friend come over today with a netbook that was not connecting to the web along with giving grief in other areas ... took most of my afternoon just to clear the malware and reset it back to normal ( yup XP) I warned her the next time it will be running Mint :!: :!: :!:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:20 pm

grey1960envoy wrote:I'm still trying to understand why people still use that POS virus pretending to be an OS and cannot think of one good reason :lol:
Well I now have a reason to put it back on this laptop: My cell phone. I posted this in another thread.
Other than adding apps I have not yet modified my Samsung Captivate, AT&T's version of the Galaxy S phone, in any way even though the Froyo, Android 2.2, update for it was made available 10 days ago. To install it requires Windows 32 bit; XP, Vista, or Win7. I have read in forums where others have succeeded with 64 bit Win7. I do not have Windows installed on my computers at the moment. (I know, my sig says otherwise. I just have not updated it.)

Since installing the update on the phone involves installing applications and drivers on the computer to which the phone is connected, I have been reluctant to ask to borrow any friend's computer. Today I finally recalled that I have a hard drive I removed from my laptop when upgrading from a 80 Gb hdd to a 250 Gb hdd. The old one has WinXP and LM Gloria on it. So I will soon be getting some Froyo goodness.
Once I update the phone to Froyo I am changing back to the hdd w/o WinXP.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon
READING: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

allypink
Level 3
Level 3

Post by allypink » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:18 am

Yep. Window XP pro only in Virtual-box. May as well; I paid for the license fees; even if it's just to show friends how Windows works better inside a Linux box. Chuckle!
Desktop; DELL Optiplex Core 2 Quad 8GB RAM
Run Mint 17.1, 1TB WD black 7200 and Win 7 320GB WD black 7200 (gotta for work)
A happy donor to the effort. If you use it...... DONATE!

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:28 am

I would like to run Mint on my work computer, but I have to get the video working right first. I run a multi-monitor setup with some Intel IGP and a PCI ATI Radeon 7000 that seems to be the primary problem (can't set native res of 1280x1024 at the moment). At the moment I have a Wubi setup with Mint 10 just to see how much configuring will be necessary to make it work right. I didn't want to mess with partitions just yet, as I know that IT will not be pleased if I damage my XP installation and they have to fix it ;)

The other problem is our damn CRM; it's Windows-only software. Everything else is replaceable, but the CRM is going to be the Achilles heal of any OS switch. Hopefully we will get a web-based CRM eventually.

Troy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Troy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:01 am

I have two computers. A laptop and my desktop, both Dell's. I was dual booting WinXP and Mint on my laptop but after a while I just got rid of Windows. Windows Xp is a joke compared to Mint. I can't stand using it but unfortunately we use it at work. We buy new computers with Windows 7 and pay to install XP, what a joke. On my desktop I do dual boot with Windows 7. When I rooted my phone I needed W7. I also thought why get rid of the newest version of Windows when I don't have to. When I am on my desktop I'm mostly on my Macbuntu but once in a while I boot into W7 to install updates.

Morgan Krieg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Morgan Krieg » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:48 am

I run only Linux Mint 9. Windows 7 is way too expensive here (62 minimum hourly wages in Poland in comparison to 17 minimum hourly wages in USA) and generally, I don't like how Microsoft got much less user friendly after Windows 98 with all these "system restore disks", activations, and started to use creepy new-speak like "windows genuine advantage", "falsified copies", "is my system original", etc.

dante19992
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dante19992 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:10 pm

I currently run Kmint 10 as my one and only operating system (though I would like to try Sabayon It sounds good)

sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sgosnell » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:05 pm

dawgdoc wrote:
grey1960envoy wrote:I'm still trying to understand why people still use that POS virus pretending to be an OS and cannot think of one good reason :lol:
Well I now have a reason to put it back on this laptop: My cell phone. I posted this in another thread.
Other than adding apps I have not yet modified my Samsung Captivate, AT&T's version of the Galaxy S phone, in any way even though the Froyo, Android 2.2, update for it was made available 10 days ago. To install it requires Windows 32 bit; XP, Vista, or Win7. I have read in forums where others have succeeded with 64 bit Win7. I do not have Windows installed on my computers at the moment. (I know, my sig says otherwise. I just have not updated it.)

Since installing the update on the phone involves installing applications and drivers on the computer to which the phone is connected, I have been reluctant to ask to borrow any friend's computer. Today I finally recalled that I have a hard drive I removed from my laptop when upgrading from a 80 Gb hdd to a 250 Gb hdd. The old one has WinXP and LM Gloria on it. So I will soon be getting some Froyo goodness.
Once I update the phone to Froyo I am changing back to the hdd w/o WinXP.
I have a Captivate on the way. Fortunately it has (supposedly) 2.2 already installed. How do you like it? I had to decide between the Captivate and the HTC Aria, both more or less free from ATT, and I decided on the Samsung for a variety of reasons, none of which may actually be valid, since I have no experience at all with any smartphone. I got the phone without a data plan, and in fact couldn't figure out how to order one on the ATT website, which has to be one of the worst-designed sites I've ever seen. I guess I'll have to call and talk to a live person, after the interminable process of getting through the recorded menus, to get a plan, and I suppose I'll actually need a plan. I've never done anything other than make phone calls, don't even text, but I'll probably be seduced into using the smartphone features, and that's far too expensive to do ad hoc.
Asus eee-pc 900 w/ 32GB SSD.

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:09 pm

sgosnell wrote: I have a Captivate on the way. Fortunately it has (supposedly) 2.2 already installed. How do you like it?

....since I have no experience at all with any smartphone. I got the phone without a data plan.... .... and I suppose I'll actually need a plan. I've never done anything other than make phone calls, don't even text, but I'll probably be seduced into using the smartphone features, and that's far too expensive to do ad hoc.
If I have any problems using the phone with Mint after the update, I will start a thread in Chat and PM you about it. Rather than take over this thread with another post after this one about it.

I like the phone a lot. It has worked well with LMDE when I mount the phone after it is set to USB-Storage mode. Once you get yours check and make sure Froyo is installed. One to two weeks prior to AT&T releasing it for the Captivate there were a couple of national retailers advertising Captivates, in print, with 2.2 pre-installed . Purchasers were disappointed because they had 2.1. But you should be good since it has been out since Feb 24. I have not installed 2.2 on mine yet. I expect I will do so tomorrow.

I had no experience with a smartphone either prior to this purchase. I probably did not send/receive a dozen or so texts a year before this, and still probably only do a dozen or so a month now. I have installed some apps and use them occasionally but feel I am underutilizing the phone.

I am surprised you were not forced to get the data plan at purchase time. Is it possible it was hidden in the fine print? I purchased mine at Thanksgiving in the local BestBuy for $1, a two year contract, 2Gb data plan, and $5 text plan (didn't have this before.) Since I do most of my downloading of apps and data while in WiFi mode, I went into a AT&T store the following month and dropped to the 200Mb plan. Watch your billing, AT&T has been screwy with mine. It's in my favor at the moment, which means they will want it all at once some time in the future.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon
READING: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

growled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by growled » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:10 pm

I use Linux 80% of the time but I keep Windows around for working in an Access database and playing games. So the answer is no.
Are you sure this goes here?

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Pretty much, I do have a windows XP pro in a VM (Virtualbox), just in case i need an application run
--I don't engage in that much game playing, so I don't need to pay much attention to the latest PC games on windows or even the console game systems, such as Sony PS (Playstations) or Microsoft XBox..

japan1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by japan1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:45 pm

I have a PC and a netbook, the PC uses XP as I need Windows for university software and games. The netbook runs Mint 9 as it seems far faster than XP/7 on the Atom processor.

rtrev
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rtrev » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:00 pm

I run LMDE on my desktop and Dell Mini-9 netbook, and ChromeOS on the Google CR-48. It's been about 6 years since I've run Windows.

I'm retired, so I have the luxury of saying that if something doesn't run on Linux then I don't need to run it. I recognize that many people aren't in that position.

Bob

Morgan Krieg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Morgan Krieg » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:04 pm

To be honest, what's the point of using Linux when one also uses Windows?

richnbernie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by richnbernie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Most of the time I run Mint 7.
I run Vista when I convert You Tube videos to MP3 for my player and my girlfriend's player.
Free Real Player works out of the box. Never could get any application to work in Mint.
I want to run programs, not the operating system.
Other than that, no Windows.
With the electronic devices we have today, Linux and Windows will become a Moot issue. Very few anymore care about the os. They just want the device to connect.
Linux people will be a small minority. Apple over shadows Linux.

Rich
FACEBOOK, the privacy thief.

Return to “Open chat”