Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Chat about just about anything else
rob2uk
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by rob2uk »

andreaborman wrote:Here is the post-
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-sup ... age-2.html It is quite funny isn't it. No matter what I or anybody else tries. You just cannot use that email. Andrea Borman.
Andrea, just stop it.

Everybody on that forum is telling you that you are wrong.
Everybody on this forum is telling you that you are wrong.

Do you think that, just maybe, you might be wrong?
GA-965-DS3, Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, 8GB DDR2, 2x1TB HDD, Linux Mint 11
Acer Aspire 5332, Pentium dual core 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Linux Mint 11, Linux Mint Debian
Compaq CQ-60, Sempron 2.10GHz, 4GB DDR2, 120GB HDD, Tinycore 3.7rc2 (Minecraft server!)

User avatar
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 pm
Location: 3rd rock from the sun

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by grey1960envoy »

Andrea You seem to have a knack of confusing the confused with confusion ...Now if I were in your shoes I would DEFINITELY take a second to think about what in the sam Hell you are writing about , AT LEAST GET THE FACTS (REAL not imaginary) :!: :!: :!:
BTW you remind me of my first wife : My mind is made up now don't confuse me with the facts :lol: :lol: :lol:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: England.
Contact:

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by andreaborman »

Well,I have tried to use that email and no matter what I do it just does not work. Thunderbird and the other email clients are based on Outlook Express and are clones of it. And they all have the same system. They ask you questions that are just impossible to answer.

Because we just don't know what the http. or POP server is. And even when you type in the correct answer,that is the G.Mail POP address. That is on the Google website it still does not work.

But the good news is that if you have got Windows 7 or Linux,you don't get the email client unless you choose to install it. On Windows 7 they have Windows Live Mail which is a later version of Outlook Express and is a clone of it. But it does not come with Windows 7 so you don't get it unless you want to install it.

On Linux there is Thunderbird,which is another clone of Outlook Express but again,you don't get it unless you want to install it.

And if on Windows 7 or Linux you do make the mistake of installing it you can uninstall it again.

But Windows XP and Windows Vista users are not so lucky. On Windows XP Outlook Express is bundled with Windows.So you cannot uninstall it. And on Windows Vista, Windows Mail another Outlook Express clone is bundled with Windows.So you cannot uninstall it.

So on Windows XP and Windows Vista you are stuck with it.

But on Windows 7 and Linux you do not get the email client,unless you choose to install it. And who would? You cannot use it. You won't get it up and running.

I cannot use it and I don't know anybody else who can use it either. And both Windows and Linux users are doomed to NEVER be able to use that email. Outlook Express and it's clones are-THE EMAIL THAT NOBODY CAN USE.

So no matter how hard you try to use it,you just won't win. Because you won't able to use it. Andrea Borman.

User avatar
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5061
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am
Location: Mt. Angel, Oregon

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by tdockery97 »

Up until a few days ago I had to keep using Windows for 1 program, convertxtodvd. Since I have updated to Wine 1.3 it now works acceptably in LMDE, so my last reason for using that "other" os has now disappeared. Windows has left the building. :lol:
Mint MATE 19.3

User avatar
tatsujin79
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:34 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by tatsujin79 »

tdockery97 wrote:Up until a few days ago I had to keep using Windows for 1 program, convertxtodvd. Since I have updated to Wine 1.3 it now works acceptably in LMDE, so my last reason for using that "other" os has now disappeared. Windows has left the building. :lol:
Congratulations to you and to the wine team for making it possible lol

rob2uk
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by rob2uk »

Andrea, please READ THIS BEFORE REPLYING

Thunderbird only requires your email address and password. Everything else is set up automatically.

If it isn't doing it automatically, then you are either:

a: entering the wrong email address;
b: entering the wrong password

Honestly, it's that simple.

Last week I bought my own domain name, and less than 5 minutes later I had Thunderbird up and running with my new account.

I didn't even have to put in server details for that, so there is no reason AT ALL for you to have the problems you claim.
GA-965-DS3, Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, 8GB DDR2, 2x1TB HDD, Linux Mint 11
Acer Aspire 5332, Pentium dual core 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Linux Mint 11, Linux Mint Debian
Compaq CQ-60, Sempron 2.10GHz, 4GB DDR2, 120GB HDD, Tinycore 3.7rc2 (Minecraft server!)

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: England.
Contact:

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by andreaborman »

Well, I tried Thunderbird on both windows and Linux and it's the same. I did not even get as far a typing in my email address. Because when I put in my G.Mail account email and password,it said they were invalid.

And that's rubbish because I sign into that G.Mail account every day on the web and it IS a valid account.

But Thunderbird is a clone of Outlook Express and like all of the other clones it is-THE EMAIL THAT NOBODY CAN USE. Even if they have put it on Linux. So what do you expect?

By the way are you the same Rob Lyn who has been commenting on my Facebook posts? Andrea Borman.

rob2uk
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by rob2uk »

andreaborman wrote:THE EMAIL THAT NOBODY CAN USE.
No, you're wrong. They are the email clients that you cannot use.

Try reading the replies you get to your posts on here and on the other forums you frequent.
GA-965-DS3, Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, 8GB DDR2, 2x1TB HDD, Linux Mint 11
Acer Aspire 5332, Pentium dual core 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Linux Mint 11, Linux Mint Debian
Compaq CQ-60, Sempron 2.10GHz, 4GB DDR2, 120GB HDD, Tinycore 3.7rc2 (Minecraft server!)

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: England.
Contact:

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by andreaborman »

Well,I don't know anybody else that can use Outlook Express and clones. Everybody that I know can't use it. So it's not just me. Andrea Borman.

User avatar
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 pm
Location: 3rd rock from the sun

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by grey1960envoy »

We can dance to this turkey song all week , GIVE IT UP Andrea CANNOT be reasoned with once her mind is set !!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

User avatar
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 pm
Location: 3rd rock from the sun

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by grey1960envoy »

The only program I needed windoze for although I haven't used it in a very long time was Mediaface now maybe I can give it a try in wine 3.1
tdockery97 wrote:
Up until a few days ago I had to keep using Windows for 1 program, convertxtodvd. Since I have updated to Wine 1.3 it now works acceptably in LMDE, so my last reason for using that "other" os has now disappeared. Windows has left the building. :lol:
Last edited by grey1960envoy on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

User avatar
tatsujin79
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:34 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by tatsujin79 »

andreaborman wrote:Well,I don't know anybody else that can use Outlook Express and clones. Everybody that I know can't use it. So it's not just me. Andrea Borman.
This topic is getting way off track, andrea im sure there is a better way to showcase your dislike for mail software. Perhaps a new thread so this "discussion" doesn't end up hijacking this one?

On a topic related note i'm happy to report that my sister who has been experimenting with linux finally made the full time switch to linux mint 9

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by randomizer »

andreaborman wrote:Well,I don't know anybody else that can use Outlook Express and clones. Everybody that I know can't use it. So it's not just me. Andrea Borman.
Almost everybody I know IS using them. I use Outlook (not Outlook Express) at home and at work. At home I have to connect to mail servers with non-standard configurations and expired SSL certs. All it takes is a minute or two looking up the right information, and then entering it. It's going to be roughly the same with any mail client because they all use the same protocols. If they didn't then they wouldn't be mail clients, they'd be something else.

If nobody could use mail clients, how on earth did anyone send mail before webmail clients became popular (ie. pre-2005)?

User avatar
ubuntu user
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:40 pm
Location: Elko, Nevada USA

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by ubuntu user »

On topic, I'm a linux user as well as a Win 7 user.
I must say my primary OS is Win 7 followed by Ultimate Edition 2.8.

I multiboot Win 7 with 5 other distros
These include the aforementioned Ultimate Edition 2.8 plus Ubuntu Lucid, Mandy 2010 and PCLinuxOS 2010 (both gnome and kde).
I'm a hard core gnomie.

I have Mint 10 installed on a USB external drive as well as 5 other distros.

At this time I don't think I will be Windows free in the future but I enjoy playing with linux.
Frank Golden
Acer 5672WLMi notebook, 2 GHz Core2Duo, 4 GB DDR2
Win 7 Home premium, Ultimate Edition 2.8, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, Mandriva 2010, PCLinuxOS 2010 kde & gnome

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: England.
Contact:

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by andreaborman »

randomizer wrote:
andreaborman wrote:Well,I don't know anybody else that can use Outlook Express and clones. Everybody that I know can't use it. So it's not just me. Andrea Borman.
Almost everybody I know IS using them. I use Outlook (not Outlook Express) at home and at work. At home I have to connect to mail servers with non-standard configurations and expired SSL certs. All it takes is a minute or two looking up the right information, and then entering it. It's going to be roughly the same with any mail client because they all use the same protocols. If they didn't then they wouldn't be mail clients, they'd be something else.

If nobody could use mail clients, how on earth did anyone send mail before webmail clients became popular (ie. pre-2005)?
Well,you can just use normal web mail like G.Mail or Hotmail. That works in Linux and Windows. And then there is the chat messengers,where you can do video and voice chat. As well as email text messaging.

And did I mention Pidgin? Pidgin does email test messaging and you can connect different accounts,Google,MSN and many others. And chat to contacts on these networks.

On Linux Pidgin works fine but on Windows it does not work well at all. And you cannot do video or voice chat on Pidgin except to contacts on Google Talk.
But although on the website it says that you can do video chat on both Windows Pidgin and Linux Pidgin to friends on Google Talk. The video plug in only works on Linux Pidgin but not on Windows Pidgin.

So in fact you can do video or voice chat to contacts on Google Talk in Pidgin on Linux. But you can't do video or voice chat to contacts on Google Talk on Pidgin on Windows. As this feature is either not there or not working on Windows. Despite the website saying that it is working on Windows, but it's not.Only the text chat works on Windows Pidgin.

But you can do video and voice chat to contacts on Google Talk only, on Linux Pidgin. Also Pidgin works better on Linux, but on Windows it does not work well at all.So Pidgin is best used only on Linux.

As it seems that Windows Pidgin and Linux Pidgin are different from one another. So if you are using windows, it is better to forget Pidgin and get Instantbird instead. As Windows Pidgin does not work very well.

Instantbird is made by the same makers of Pidgin but Instantbird is much more simple to use. And Instantbird like Pidgin, it supports all networks,Facebook,Google Talk,MSN and many others. But Instantbird does not support voice or video chat,only email text messaging. But that is all right. And I can use it without any problems.

Instantbird is also available for Linux but because it is not in the package manager, you have to download it from the Internet. And that's not the same as doing that on Windows. As on Linux it does not just download from the Internet. And end up on your desktop or start menu,ready to use like it does on Windows. It only installs as a file after you have extracted it.

So I cannot install Instantbird on Linux unless they put it in the package manager,which they don't. But if it was in the package manager, I could install it.

And in case Windows users feel left out of having an instant email text messenger that also does voice chat to a few networks.

What about Nimbuzz? This does mainly email text chat but supports all networks like Instantbird does. But Nimbuzz supports voice chat only to three networks. These are Google Talk,MSN, and Nimbuzz contacts but not video chat. But Nimbuzz works well but is only available for Windows.

Then you have got the video chat messengers,Aim,ICQ,Windows Live Messenger,Google Talk for Windows only. And other, but not so many video chat messengers for Linux.

But you have also got Meebo and I Love IM which are web messengers that you use in a web browser. And works on both windows and Linux.

The above are all of the things you CAN USE. Outlook Express and clones are what you CAN't USE. Get it. That is how the true picture looks.

So forget-THE EMAIL THAT NOBODY CAN USE. And use normal email or chat messengers. At least you can use them. But you cannot use Outlook Express or it's clones. You can't. Andrea Borman.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by randomizer »

andreaborman wrote:But you cannot use Outlook Express or it's clones. You can't.
But I am.

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: England.
Contact:

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by andreaborman »

Who was the person who invented Outlook Express?
Andrea Borman.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by randomizer »

andreaborman wrote:Who was the person who invented Outlook Express?
Somebody at Microsoft I'd imagine, since it's their product.

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: England.
Contact:

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by andreaborman »

Is that right? I thought that Outlook Express was invented by a person who was a stupid inventor. And a selfish one at that. Because whoever it was who invented it made sure that nobody could ever use it. It is as if they don't want you to use it.

And why are there so many clones of Outlook Express,such as Thunderbird,Windows Live Mail,SeaMonkey Mail,Spicebird,Zimbra Desktop and others?

Why would anybody want to clone such a useless product? Andrea Borman.

User avatar
tatsujin79
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:34 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by tatsujin79 »

andreaborman wrote:Why would anybody want to clone such a useless product? Andrea Borman.
A product is not deemed useless just because one or two people cannot use it. I am not certain but I don't think outlook was the first desktop mail client so really people didn't clone a "useless" product because desktop mail clients are far from useless. Seriously, though this needs to end. You are taking up time and energy away from good people by arguing with them about this and THAT IS useless.

Post Reply

Return to “Open chat”