Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Chat about just about anything else
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by AlbertP »

I have had some strange DOC and DOCX files that OpenOffice did not like so then I was happy that I had always kept my Vista install. By the way, I also use my Vista for some apps that don't run in Wine but since I got Train Simulator to work on Mint (had a little trouble installing but the program runs fine on Wine) there aren't much things left on Vista except writing papers with many pictures, as cropping and rotating them is a pain in OO.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
owend
Level 2
Level 2

Post by owend »

I have run Linux for the last several years, specifically Mint since Mint 7, currently on Mint 10. Most things work as soon as it's installed, which seems unadventurous compared to Suse, Fedora, Slackware etc, but I want to use the machine not play with complex installations and tweaks!

I use OpenOffice for all word processing, spreadsheets, presentations etc, saving in Microsoft XP format, so I can transfer directly to school (I'm a teacher); not conflicts, as I make sure I save at school in XP (doc) format rather than docx. OO is great; I've tried LibreOffice very briefly and it seems equally good.

I use Firefox and Thunderbird; commenting on a previous comment, Outlook is OK, but I personally feel Tbird is more straightforward, although the setup can be a pain. I will probably try Evolution after my next upgrade!

I confess to having an old copy of XP running in Virtualbox, for the odd program which won't run in Linux (eg my TV remote's programming!) and the scanner, since Canon still haven't released drivers.
rfbennett1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rfbennett1 »

I have tried almost every Linux Distro out there and yet i still come back to linux mint 10 (gnome) as my main OS :D
Dell Presicion Workstation 470
Dual Intel Xeon 3.0Ghz Hyperthreaded
12GB DDR2 ECC RAM
1GB Nvidia Gefore 8400 GS Cuda
Linux Mint 13 MATE 64
samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

I got rid of Micro$oft years ago , I tried dual boot when first trying linux, and found I was only using windows for on program, then I found out about wine and that was it for me, goodbye windows and never turned back, even lost my original recovery cds last year for this lol, did'nt need anyhow.
Was using ubuntu until they got unity and that divided me from that (can't stand unity) and tried a few and stuck with mint since, now I wish I found mint earlier, I would of enjoyed this a long time ago, Just hope the Mint never goes to unity, and if they do keep a debian version without unity please. :D
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I currently have 2 computers running. Both with LMDE. I have one windows Partition for computer repair. When trying to get drivers from dell they download in a .application which Linux don't know what to do with. I don't boot up to it unless I am working on a system. :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

.application is usually a Microsoft.NET program that is not correctly compiled.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

that I didn't know anyways that's how dell drivers come from the site.
ivan_rookie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ivan_rookie »

Only Mac OSX (no Boot Camp) on my MacBook. Later I also switched from Windows7 to LinuxMint on my main workstation and since then - no dual-boots, no cr*p, only LM. It does everything, why would I contaminate my configuration with various operating systems?
"Running Windows on a Core i7 is like having a brand new Porsche,
but only be able to drive backwards with the handbrake on."
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I dual boot: Linux Mint Debian Edition and Kubuntu 11.04. No Windows for me. :mrgreen:
Mint Cinnamon 20
trollboy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by trollboy »

At home, yes I do run Linux exclusively and I have done for quite a few years. At work I use Windows as I have no choice. Does that make me a yes or a no?
Last edited by trollboy on Wed May 04, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnome is dead. Long live XFCE
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

trollboy wrote:At home, yes I do run Linux exclusivly and I have done for quite a few years. At work I use Windows as I have no choice. Does that make me a yes or a no?

I also must use windows at work. I totally understand. :cry:
The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard »

i too have to use M$ at work [on the odd occasion i need a computer] or should i say doze from the second i switch on till its booted up and ready takes around 5 mins, but our so called IT man only knows M$, and wont consider any other OS
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I work with Unix, Linux Microsoft and Sun Systems. Most of my work is done in MS
pan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pan »

I really haven't seen WIN for about 2 years now...really! Few days ago I felt totally lost when I heard somebody talking about changes in WIN7 :-) First year I was using XP and ubuntu dual boot, second year just ubuntu and now third year I was looking for my perfect distro (ubuntu clearly wasn't it) and tried ubuntu, fedora, debian, xubuntu, opensuse,... I think that with LMDE...this is it! Debian packages, Mint eye-candy, linux stability, rolling distro, easy on RAM...and very fast. For now I am just a physics student (last year) and I really hope that I will use linux at work. WIN = never again (maybe Virtualbox :-))
flygon250
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flygon250 »

I'm dual-booting at the moment, but I use Aptosid a lot more than Windows 7.

Windows 7 is mostly kept around for games (and has a much larger partition on my hard drive as a result), along with Silverlight (Sky, why won't your player work in Moonlight?). My main laptop has an ATI Radeon HD graphics card, and with running sid, the most recent fglrx release doesn't support the Kernel and X.org versions that are in sid, having been released after the last fglrx version.

But apart from that, I use my Aptosid partition to do pretty much everything on my computer.
Dr.m0x
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Dr.m0x »

I have only run l linux on my laptop since ubuntu hardy heron in april 2008. I kept windows on my desktop for gaming but now I use an xbox. It's just too expensive keeping a gaming pc up to date.

Currently I have lmde on my laptop and it's all I use. Linux is a heap better for a guy like me who just does web browsing, emails, watches movies or listens to music.

Sent from my Gingerbread loaded Desire HD.
nevius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nevius »

I use linux exclusively at both work and at home. It turns out that all of the windows-only software that I need for my job runs well under wine (there are some advantages to having a profession in which people have a chronic aversion to the latest and greatest). I also talked to the IT director at work and got permission to run Linux on my workstation (if you ever go that route make sure that you get written permission). There are some advantages to keeping yourself in the good graces of the IT department.
CaptHilts
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CaptHilts »

only linux; currently just different desktops (gnome 2.32 and KDE 4.6.x). was never a fan of dual booting win, only as a transition back when i was switching to linux - that so-called transition period didn't last that long. Just tried running win in a VM out of curiosity but after the entire day (i stopped counting the hours it takes to finish a win install with all important updates and stuff) installing the OS i never booted it up again.
Currently i don't have wine installed either. Using LibreOffice, never ran into any problems at all. Heck, i start feeling bad for appearing like some "fanboy" :D BUT, as so many others...work presents itself as linux-free zone - however, windows free as well. Mac is their product of choice. No apples for me. No i*whatever - not out of any ideological concerns tho. I just use products that i consider to be of better quality :D
rtrev
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rtrev »

I guess technically I only run Linux. LMDE (Gnome) on my desktop, ChromeOS on my laptop, and Android on my cell phone. :D
samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs »

rtrev wrote:I guess technically I only run Linux. LMDE (Gnome) on my desktop, ChromeOS on my laptop, and Android on my cell phone. :D
:D Android, the only linux based OS on cell phones that I know of.
I am learning to program apps for it now and use it myself.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Return to “Open chat”