Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Chat about just about anything else
andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Do you run Linux as your sole operating system?

Post by andreaborman »

Fandangio wrote:
andreaborman wrote:Fandangia wrote and quoted.
So there was no other option but to restore both of my Netbooks back to factory settings.

But on Linux there is no system restore as it does not have this feature. So I do not know what you would do if some thing went wrong with your Linux operating system.

Even if you do have Linux installed alongside Windows or you have replaced Windows with Linux as your only operating system. It is still a Windows computer and nothing can change that. Unless you buy a Linux computer. Andrea Borman.
Heh Andrea, I'd really urge you not to mess too much with your PC's now that they are back working.

Sadly some of your statements are very misguided and could lead you into having issues in the future.

http://www.build-your-own-cheap-compute ... puter.html

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andreaborman »

Fandangio wrote:
andreaborman wrote:Fandangia wrote and quoted.
So there was no other option but to restore both of my Netbooks back to factory settings.

But on Linux there is no system restore as it does not have this feature. So I do not know what you would do if some thing went wrong with your Linux operating system.

Even if you do have Linux installed alongside Windows or you have replaced Windows with Linux as your only operating system. It is still a Windows computer and nothing can change that. Unless you buy a Linux computer. Andrea Borman.[/

Sadly some of your statements are very misguided and could lead you into having issues in the future.

http://www.build-your-own-cheap-compute ... puter.html

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andreaborman »

Fandangia,please explain your statement" some of your information is misguided and could lead to you having issues in the future." I am confused as to what you mean by this.

Issues with my computer? Well,I know that there are some brands of Linux such as Easy Peasy,where if you install it,it overwrites your Windows operating system and replaces it with Easy Peasy instead. At least that's what I read on the Internet.

Well,I would not want to do this anyway as some people have had problems with this in that Easy Peasy does not recognize their wireless broadband connection and windows drivers and they could not connect wirelessly to the Internet. I too had the same problem with most other brands of Linux that I tried.

Linux Mint was the only one that would let me connect wirelessly to the Internet. But first I had to be connected by wired broadband then Linux Mint found my wireless drivers and activated them for me. Then I connected wirlessly after I restarted my computer.

But with Ubuntu it did not do this so I could only connect by wired broadband,it did not find or install my wireless broadband drivers.

Also Ubuntu was not user friendly at all there was no start menu index,to navigate around the software or settings.

Linux in general is not user friendly like Windows is but Linux Mint is more user friendly than most brands of Linux. As it is designed for Windows users who are trying or coming to Linux for the first time. The start menu in Linux Mint looks like the start menu on Windows and so does the desktop. at first glance you can mistake it for Windows in appearance. But it is not Windows of course but you can at least find your way around the settings menu as the index is set out similar to Windows,the start menu is.

But you are restricted to what you can do on Linux as a lot of software is only compatible with Windows not Linux. And although you can download some software from the Internet on Linux,if it is a tar file,when you extract the files it does not appear on your desktop or in the start menu it only installs as a file. So basically in most cases if the software you want is not in the packages,then you can't have it on Linux.

But on Windows you just download the software you want from the Internet and you have got it ready to use.Also another disadvantage is that on Linux you have to log in with a password and enter it every time you do some thing like install software from the package manager or make changes to your computer settings on Linux.And there is no way to disable this or to remove your password.

But on Windows you do not have to have a password if you do not want one.So Linux is all right for browsing the internet and doing your blog and Facebook posts but it is not a customizable as Windows. And Windows is more user friendly. When you get a problem you just look in Windows search and it will find and fix the problem for you.

There are also addition help guides and topics on websites like How-To-Geek and Lifehacker. I have learned a lot about Windows from them.But like everybody else I do not have all the answers. But Windows is very user friendly and so easy to use even a child can use it.

Linux is not user friendly but Linux Mint is more user friendly than most but I still get stuck if some thing happens and I have to do some thing complicated.

The easiest way to install Linux is to install it alongside windows using the Wubi install or by mounting it on virtual clone drive. And then you can uninstall it again if you change your mind and don't want it or if you want to change or upgrade to a different brand of Linux,such as Ubuntu or other.

See the How To Geek website http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/20079/in ... r-netbook/ This was how I installed my Linux Mint but you can also install Ubuntu or any other brand of Linux this way. And mounting it on virtual clone drive is a lot quicker than using the Wubi installer. As installation on Wubi could take over an hour.But by downloading the ISO CD file from the website of Ubuntu or Linux Mint or other,then mounting it on virtual clone drive,takes only a few minutes.

Your Linux installation is kept separate from Windows and untouched from Windows updates,although it is stored on your C/drive in windows with your other programs and can be uninstalled in programs menu if you do not want it.

Your boot loader will show your 2 operating systems Windows and Linux when you start or restart your computer and you just select which operating system you want to boot into,Windows or Linux. You can also make Linux your default operating system. that is change the settings in windows settings so that every time your computer starts it boots into Linux by default instead of Windows automatically so you do not have to keep selecting. And even if Windows or Linux is your default operating system.You can still select the other one by pushing the arrow up or down and clicking on the operating system you want. Windows or Linux if you want.And you can change the default settings any time as well.

But with regards to doing a restore to factory condition recovery. Well,if you do this your computer will be put back to the way it was before you bought it. And so everything including your Linux installation will be gone,even if you have replace it as your only operating system. And Windows and everything else that your computer came with before you bought it,will be back on again. And you will have to re install any software that you added yourself,Firefox,ICQ Messenger etc,upgrade your edition of Windows again. As I had to do because when I did the restore to factory condition I was put back on Windows 7 starter. Because that is what my laptop came with when I bought it,but I later upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate. And also after the factory restore you will also have to re install Linux all over again,if you want it back. Andrea Borman.

Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

andreaborman wrote:Fandangia,please explain your statement" some of your information is misguided and could lead to you having issues in the future." I am confused as to what you mean by this.

Linux in general is not user friendly like Windows is but Linux Mint is more user friendly than most brands of Linux. As it is designed for Windows users who are trying or coming to Linux for the first time. The start menu in Linux Mint looks like the start menu on Windows and so does the desktop. at first glance you can mistake it for Windows in appearance. But it is not Windows of course but you can at least find your way around the settings menu as the index is set out similar to Windows,the start menu is.

But you are restricted to what you can do on Linux as a lot of software is only compatible with Windows not Linux. And although you can download some software from the Internet on Linux,if it is a tar file,when you extract the files it does not appear on your desktop or in the start menu it only installs as a file. So basically in most cases if the software you want is not in the packages,then you can't have it on Linux.

But on Windows you do not have to have a password if you do not want one.So Linux is all right for browsing the internet and doing your blog and Facebook posts but it is not a customizable as Windows. And Windows is more user friendly. When you get a problem you just look in Windows search and it will find and fix the problem for you.

There are also addition help guides and topics on websites like How-To-Geek and Lifehacker. I have learned a lot about Windows from them.But like everybody else I do not have all the answers. But Windows is very user friendly and so easy to use even a child can use it.

The easiest way to install Linux is to install it alongside windows using the Wubi install or by mounting it on virtual clone drive. And then you can uninstall it again if you change your mind and don't want it or if you want to change or upgrade to a different brand of Linux,such as Ubuntu or other.

Your Linux installation is kept separate from Windows and untouched from Windows updates,although it is stored on your C/drive in windows with your other programs and can be uninstalled in programs menu if you do not want it.

But with regards to doing a restore to factory condition recovery. Well,if you do this your computer will be put back to the way it was before you bought it. And so everything including your Linux installation will be gone,even if you have replace it as your only operating system. And Windows and everything else that your computer came with before you bought it,will be back on again. And you will have to re install any software that you added yourself,Firefox,ICQ Messenger etc,upgrade your edition of Windows again. As I had to do because when I did the restore to factory condition I was put back on Windows 7 starter. Because that is what my laptop came with when I bought it,but I later upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate. And also after the factory restore you will also have to re install Linux all over again,if you want it back. Andrea Borman.

Hi Andrea,

Firstly please let me say that I was trying to help you and in no way criticise.

The reason I said you were misguided was because you have a fundamental belief that a PC can be a Windows PC and nothing else and this is fundamentally incorrect. Please see other posts to confirm. Because of this conception everything else you believe know about PC's is also flawed. Sorry if these words seem harsh, maybe you could seek reassurance from some of the more senior members here as confirmation as they will back me up wholeheartedly.

If windows was more user friendly why did you turn to Linux in the first place, I assume you were having problems with windows. SW installation and management is way easier in Mint/Ubuntu/Debian. Honestly it is, you're just mistaking familiarity for ease!

Finally if you've installed via WUBI this is indeed a version that runs "inside" windows. If you installed alongside windows (dual boot) your Mint installation would not be erased after a system restore.

Please get more information before expecting another response, I consider myself a newbie (though I dual booted for years and am now on an all linux system) so I urge you to speak to people that are better able to explain these problems you've had (and not on the Windows forums you've been visiting).

Best regards.

Karl
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andreaborman »

If you want to have Linux as your only operating system then the best thing to do is to buy a Linux computer.Just like if you don't want Windows and want Mac,then you buy a Mac computer or laptop.

I have read on the Internet that some shops do sell Laptops and that Dell does some. But from what I read they have only got Ubuntu on them not Linux Mint. I don't know if you can buy a Linux Mint laptop or computer.

But that would not suit me as I find Linux hard to use and if I had a Linux computer,I would not be able to have Windows. As I don't think you you can install Windows on a Linux built computer any more than you can install Mac on a Windows one or Windows on a Mac computer. Can you?

Although you can install on a Windows computer alongside of it. But I do not thing you can install Windows on a Linux computer.

And anyway where can you buy a Windows 7 CD to do it ? As this is the only way to install Windows. As you can not just download windows from the Internet and mount it on a clone drive like you can with Linux.

So where can you buy a Windows 7 CD? I do not think the computer or electrical shops have them. Andrea Borman.

Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

andreaborman wrote:If you want to have Linux as your only operating system then the best thing to do is to buy a Linux computer.Just like if you don't want Windows and want Mac,then you buy a Mac computer or laptop.
Andrea Borman.

Wrong on ALL counts. I've installed Mint on a MAC Book PRO, without this fundamental knowledge you are lost without a clue.

Wish I could help more but unless you can realise this is not true you will never understand what you are doing!

rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I am sorry if this sounds mean, but andreaborman appears to be trolling this forum. Reading through all the erroneous statements made above is both hilarious and sad. It is hilarious that anyone would believe such nonsense. It is sad because some people actually do believe such nonsense. I may be wrong, but it seems andreaborman is just posting to spread FUD and misinformation.

andreaborman, if you do not like Linux, that is your opinion. However, this is a Linux forum where there are people who enjoy and use Linux instead of Windows. If you want to learn about Linux, stick around. We shall be glad to help you make the transition. If you just want to keep saying "But on Windows...," then please use your Windows and be happy that you know better then the rest of us here. I hope you eventually find a forum where your opinions will be appreciated more. As a suggestion, check out http://www.sevenforums.com/.

If you wish to purchase a new copy of Windows, please check out a site such as:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... +7&x=0&y=0

Again, I do not wish to sound mean, but your misinformed comments only show how clueless you are. If you want to learn about Linux, please ask. If not, please just go away.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

Thanks Rivenathos, I really didn't want to accuse anyone of trolling but this is getting a little sad.

Maybe I see too much good in people

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andreaborman »

Thank you for your reply. I was asked by some one in this forum. If Windows was so user friendly why did I turn to Linux. The answer is that I AM very happy with Windows. And Windows 7 is the most user friendly version of Windows there is. But because this is my first computer that I only got in April 2010, then I bought another one,the same model as I knew how to use it. An HP Mini 210 Netbook of which I have 2 Netbbooks this model,both came with Windows 7 Starter.Which I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate on both of them.

Because this was my first computer, I had read on the internet about how you could have Linux as a second operating system alongside Windows and it seemed like a good and attractive idea at the time. As I thought a second operating system would be useful just as something different.

Some people use Linux as another operating system to fall back on if Windows crashed,which has never happened to me.

But when I installed Linux the problems and difficulties I had using it was not so attractive and made me realize how lucky I was to have Windows.

Before I got my Netbooks I was using Internet cafes. There, in Internet cafes they use Windows XP and some use Windows Vista but not Windows 7. And worse,a lot of internet cafes use Internet Explorer 6 or Internet Explorer 7 and IE6 or IE7 is the only web browser they have. And in some Internet cafes you cannot download Flock or Firefox because they block the downloads because they do not want you to make any changes to their computers.
Also in a lot of Internet cafes the computers are slow as they are not always well looked after in some of them.

But in England anyway,you cannot buy a Windows XP or Windows Vista computer or laptop as now they are only being made with Windows 7.So I have never had the experience of using Windows XP or Windows Vista,except in an Internet cafe. Where they block access to the control panel settings,so I cannot say if those editions of Windows were easier to use than Windows 7.

Although I did have access to one Windows XP Netbook that was in a youth hostel I was staying in when I went on holiday last year.Where the staff there let residents use the laptop,which was for public use for people who were staying at the hostel. But I found on that Windows XP,laptop that I could not find the control panel settings or navigate around the settings but I think that was because the staff there had blocked access to them for uses of that computer.

As if you are using some one else's computer,such as in an Internet cafe or a laptop made available to the public that are staying in a hostel or hotel. Then of course they are not going to let you change the settings or try to.

I have heard that Windows XP is good but that Windows Vista is not so good and crashes a lot. But it does seem that Windows 7 is the most user friendly version of Windows. And as that is the only version you can buy now in England as they stopped selling Windows XP and Vista a few months ago.

So now, I don't suppose I ever will find out what it is like to own and use a Windows XP laptop. I have been told not to bother with Windows Vista as there are a lot of problems with this version of Windows. I do not know if that is true or not but I just heard it from other people and what I read on the Internet.

But Windows 7 is very user friendly. And I think that previous versions of Windows are too. The only bad thing about Windows is the Internet Explorer web browser. Which I have now uninstalled from my computer. Not turned it off, uninstalled by deleting the Internet Explorer file in programs on C/drive using a tool called Unlocker. If you delete the file, you delete the program.

And then I turned it off by unticking that box in turn Windows features on or off setting. So that Windows update does not try to install it again. And just make sure you un tick any updates referring to IE, so that updates does not try to install it again, that way either.

So now Internet Explorer is no longer a problem. Andrea Borman.

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc »

ibm450 wrote:the super computer currently is running on linux
ibm450, how could you mislead people so. :shock: I read just a few short months ago that a lot of the supercomputers are running windows. Out of the top 500 supercomputers there were FIVE running Windows. :roll:

None of the Windows supercomputers are in the Top 10 fastest. One scored high enough to break into the Top 10, and it is the only Windows supercomputer to break the petaflop barrier, sadly :wink: the owners did not even enter it into the top 500. It could only be entered in the record once, and since it scored higher running Linux they ignored its Windows abilities. :lol:

ibm450 - I agree with you, I am in the Linux camp. I do not believe you were misleading people. The supercomputer stuff is true, but I do not see that it helping support the cause of Windows supporters. http://www.networkworld.com/community/b ... oses-top-5
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

andreaborman wrote:If you delete the file, you delete the program.
Not with Internet Explorer you don't ;) IE is an integral part of Windows. If you removed it in its entirety, you'd quite possibly break other Windows components. That is why when you use the "Add/Remove Windows Components" (or whatever it's called) dialog and you remove IE it only deletes the executable that starts the browser. The DLLs that accompany it remain because the IE engine is sometimes used for rendering in other applications. Steam even used it until several months ago.

Now with regards to the "Windows computers" and "Linux computers" thing: There's simply nothing like that in reality. Hardware is not built for any one operating system. Hardware is simply dumb electronics that will execute any instructions that it understands, whether those come from Windows or Linux, or even your own custom operating system (assuming you can write device drivers too). Operating systems tie you to hardware platforms; hardware platforms do not tie you to operating systems. I've deleted the recovery partition on my netbook because it was wasting space. I don't want all the junk that my vendor adds to XP installed anyway. I'd prefer to start with a fresh copy of XP. That said, I'm currently running Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04 on it and it works far better than XP did, so unless I feel masochistic I won't be slowing my netbook down with Windows again.

CyberJay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CyberJay »

d00med wrote:
andreaborman wrote:I had my netbook for a day and wiped 7 Starter, deleted all partitions, and installed Mint. I like living on the edge. 8)
No, this is living on the edge:

Entourage Pocket eDGe
http://zekeblog.wordpress.com/2010/12/1 ... ek-orgazm/
HP Compaq PC Tablet tc4400 / Linux Mint 12

CyberJay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CyberJay »

rivenathos wrote:The first thing I do with any and every computer I pick up is to completely wipe the Windows infection from the hard drive.
Most dangerous computer virus on the planet! :shock:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article09-115
HP Compaq PC Tablet tc4400 / Linux Mint 12

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

I would also like to inform andreaborman that you can also install a MAC OS on a "windoze " PC it is called a "hackintosh" they do work quite well in fact I did build one myself :wink: Just goes to show how messed up your train of thought is :? Perhaps it may be advisable to do a bit of research on subjects BEFORE spouting off about the different OSs and what people should or should not do :!:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andreaborman »

CyberJay wrote:[quote="d00med"I had my netbook for a day and wiped 7 Starter, deleted all partitions, and installed Mint. I like living on the edge. 8)
[/quote]

No, this is living on the edge:

Entourage Pocket eDGe
http://zekeblog.wordpress.com/2010/12/1 ... ek-orgazm/[/quote]

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andreaborman »

First of all I think it is iresponsible to delete or tamper with your recovery partition as if some thing happened to your computer,you would not be able to recover it. And about Internet Explorer,I deleted the file in programs on C drive and IE is no longer listed with my other programs. So IE is off of my computer and off of my Windows operating system. But if you do this do not delete the registry keys and you should not delete registry keys of other programs you uninstalled in the past either.

But yes,Dill is a software component that is used in IE and trident engine browsers like Green browser and Avant browser,but it is also used in the Windows version of Firefox.

But of course you cannot get rid of Dill as it is part of Windows. but as for IE web browser,that is defiantly off of my computer and will not come back again.Unless I do another restore to factory setting recovery. Then I would have to install all my nice web browsers,Safefox,Flock etc and other software I like again. And remove all those horrible HP promotion products and IE and upgrade again from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Ultimate,all over again.

And I did not say that I deleted my partitions and Windows 7 Starter. I do not even know how to do this and I do not want to know anyway, as I do not want to mess up my computer. And there is no such thing as delete Windows 7 starter.

What happens with a lot of Netbooks,including mine is. That they come with Windows 7 Starter but you can upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate like I did. Using the Windows 7 anytime upgrade link,that you click on,in control panel. But you do have to pay for this upgrade. But if you have upgraded before and have kept a note of your product key. Then after you have restored your computer to factory settings,you do not have to pay again for another upgrade.As long as you have kept your product key from the last upgrade and have entered it correctly. Andrea Borman.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

andreaborman wrote:First of all I think it is iresponsible to delete or tamper with your recovery partition as if some thing happened to your computer,you would not be able to recover it.
Yes you would. You'd need an external optical drive or you'd need to put Windows on a USB flash drive, but it's certainly recoverable; in fact it is recoverable to an even better state than if you used the recovery partition, because you won't get trialware bloating your system. You'd get a completely fresh, clean installation of Windows.

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

@ Andrea you should listen to what the other people in this forum have been saying which is basically; sh!t or get off the pot. If you feel so strong about windoze then use it. Otherwise do some research to learn how Linux works, it is not that difficult believe me. As for your problems with netbooks I'd say you are your worst enemy never mind viruses,malware and the like. If a Neanderthal like me can learn how to use a computer without borking it constantly anyone can (I only bork them when they are running windoze just to prove how easy it is to do) . Not everyone prefers windoze as you may have noticed .:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andreaborman »

I did not get any pleasure out of having to do the restore to factory condition on both of my laptops. Both HP Mini 210 Netbooks. Yes,it did recover my computers but it also put back all of the junk software put on there by the manufacturers HP. Among the HP Quick web which is like that Splash to mini web service that comes on before Windows and you have to wait and wait until it goes away and boots into Windows or Linux. Anybody who has had an HP computer knows what that's like.

So that was the first to go to be uninstalled by me along with that horrible Norton security and over 10 other items and more. It took me hours just to uninstall all of that and I lost my Windows 7 Ultimate and my Linux Mint 9 as well, as it put me back on Windows 7 Starter again. As that was what the Netbooks had when I bought them.

But after uninstalling all of that horrible and now out of date HP software,which must have been at least 2 years old as there was stuff there I do not remember being there,when I bought the laptops a few months ago. So the recovery image was one made about 2 years ago in the factory before I even bought the laptops. A sure sign of HP the manufacturers playing safe.

But once I got all of that horrible HP software off of my computers,I was able to re install all of my nice web browsers,Safefox,Chromium,and ICQ Messenger again by downloading them from the Internet.

Then I got rid of Internet Explorer 8 again and Windows Media player,of course and then I upgraded again back to Windows 7 Ultimate. But I did not have to pay again for my upgrade as I had kept a note of my upgrade key written down in my notebook. And I used it to upgrade again back to Windows 7 Ultimate,which I am now on.

But putting your computer back to the way you want it after a factory restore is one big pain in the neck and it takes many hours of hard work. I spent most of the day putting my 2 laptops back to the way I had made them. That is with my own software on them and my upgraded edition of Windows. Before the factory restore took all of that away when it restored it to factory condition.

I don't want to have to do that again,unless I really have to but hopefully next time I get a problem I hope it will be one that can be fixed without resorting to restore to factory condition recovery. And in most cases,most problems can be fixed so you do not have to do the restore to factory condition recovery.

System restore which sets your computer to an earlier point in time like an hour ago or a day,or week ago is helpful in resolving some problems and this does not wipe your personal computer settings or put it back to factory condition. Some one here said they have this on Linux. That would be a good idea as if I made a mistake and did some thing I should't have. Such as messed up my system or installed the wrong software,then,I could just set it back to an earlier point in time. Like you do on Windows when things go wrong.

But having said that it could be that I was using system restore,when I did not need it and I was doing it too much,that could have caused problems. It could be that I used it,when I did not need to,for example many times I installed the wrong software but instead of system restore. A simple uninstall of it in uninstall programs menu would have been enough. And in system restore you some times find old programs that you installed a day or so ago that you removed because you did not want them.Back on your computer again,so system restore is not always cure all for computer problems. When you could have just solved the problem by removing the web browser or software,that caused the problem in the first place.

Unfortunently as my 2 laptops are Netbooks I have no CD drive to back up my files,which if they were backed up I might not have had to do the factory restore. But I don't know.

As for the subject of removing Internet Explorer,most people both Windows users and Linux users hate IE and so do I. It is slow and takes ages to load a page and websites do not even look good in IE. They look different from what they do in Firefox Google Chrome and other web browsers.They say that IE8 is better than IE6 or IE7 but Windows 7 has IE8 and so did I before I removed it that is. But I cannot tell one version of IE from another,they all look alike to me. Except for IE9 which looks different but is just a bad as the rest of the IEs.

But I have now uninstalled IE from my system by deleting the file in programs on/c drive. But the other software parts used in IE that is also used in Windows such as Dill is also used in Firefox the Windows version. So that is nothing to do with the Internet Explorer web browser and won't launch it.

As well as not having Internet Explorer on my system I do not have a virus protection program and I never have had and I do not intend to. I think they would cause more problems, as it may block access to certain programs on my computer that are not virus infected. or remove programs that it thinks are virus infected but are not. I just don't like the idea of another program taking over the running of my computer. When I decide what should be removed or should not.

And I have Windows defender which scans my computer when I want it to,but does not remove anything,just advises me what to do if it finds some thing bad. Which it never has but if it does,then I decide if or not to remove it,not the program. But with a virus protection program,this is not the case. And anyway,we don't need anti virus programs on Linux and do not use them. Or at least I never have. So why use it on windows? I do not use it.

And Linux has got it right that it does not allow Internet Explorer on Linux for the simple reason that it is not secure for browsing and a threat to your computer. On Linux the Firefox comes with it but if you do not want it,you can uninstall it and replace it with another web browser,such as Chromium or Opera. If you want to and this will not upset the Linux operating system.

So I do not see why I and other Windows users,should have to have Internet Explorer on their computer if they do not want it. It is all very silly. Andrea Borman.

BigSteve_G
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BigSteve_G »

"andreaborman wrote:First of all I think it is iresponsible to delete or tamper with your recovery partition as if some thing happened to your computer,you would not be able to recover it." - Its like thoses stickers on the back of electrical appliances that read "Do not open no user serviceable parts inside!" ok some people should follow the advice but others are ok ignoring them.

Regarding the 'SuperComputer' thing, is any version of windows capable of forming a Beowulf cluster like Linux? - because I'm not aware of any - unless you talking a Windows server connected to some form of a cluster with workload balancing but I dont think this would be the same.
I've fixed Windows, tried running with Jackalopes, fought Koalas & now, I'm addicted to Mints

Now with half a decade running Linux mint, still enjoying it & still learning!

http://www.facebook.com/itsbigsteve

Return to “Open chat”