Opera 11 beta is available! :D

Chat about just about anything else
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Opera 11 beta is available! :D

Post by linuxviolin »

For those interested or already using Opera, I thought this might be an interesting information as I don't know if everyone is aware: Opera 11 beta is available!

And it has Extensions support... :mrgreen:
You can now browse Opera's extensions catalog to add new functionality easily and customize Opera just how you want it.
And some other functions/news that I'll let you discover... :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Opera 11 beta is available! :D

Post by JonM33 »

Didn't know that it needed extensions. It already includes far more than any other browser on the market just with a vanilla install.

One thing I wish they would add already is autofill. That's the one thing I seriously miss from Firefox/IE.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Opera 11 beta has an autofill section in preferences almost identical to the one in Firefox. Input your personal date (name, address, etc.) and it will fill forms automatically.

There are also two automatic text box fillers - Buscomplete and Autocomplete. They will remember what you have entered into text boxes on a web site and display previous entries when you start typing in the text box again.
Registered Linux User 483387

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

11 Beta is also as fast as Chrome/Chromium or faster.
I also find it much easier and more intuitive to configure than Opera 10 was.

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Opera 11 beta has an autofill section in preferences almost identical to the one in Firefox. Input your personal date (name, address, etc.) and it will fill forms automatically.
Every Opera version had/has this, at least Opera 10 has it... :wink:
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Opera 11 beta has an autofill section in preferences almost identical to the one in Firefox. Input your personal date (name, address, etc.) and it will fill forms automatically.

There are also two automatic text box fillers - Buscomplete and Autocomplete. They will remember what you have entered into text boxes on a web site and display previous entries when you start typing in the text box again.
That's the Forms autofill, where it automatically populates your name, address, etc. That's not what I need. Say if I go to a website like this, type in a couple words in the Search bar. If I go back and type that word again it doesn't autofill. Firefox/IE will do this. Opera will not.

On a side note, the Tab Stacking is nice!
Last edited by JonM33 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

It will if you install either Buscomplete or Autocomplete.

Autocomplete claims to be safer than Buscomplete, judge for yourself.

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 »

Aging Technogeek wrote:It will if you install either Buscomplete or Autocomplete.

Autocomplete claims to be safer than Buscomplete, judge for yourself.
Ah, these are extensions. I'll take it!

Edit- After testing, Buscomplete seems to have better functionality - at least a closer comparison to the autofill of Firefox/IE.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

JonM33 wrote:That's the Forms autofill, where it automatically populates your name, address, etc. That's not what I need. Say if I go to a website like this, type in a couple words in the Search bar. If I go back and type that word again it doesn't autofill. Firefox/IE will do this. Opera will not
If I go back and type that word again it doesn't autofill. Firefox/IE will do this...
And I am glad it doesn't, I hate getting a list (pop-up box) that shows previous selections: just assume I know what I am doing and don't try to outguess or automate me..
I always thought that was a search engine feature, a la Google
--the preference or common words list or the history of your selections

But I dislike auto browser help (forms, passwords etc etc) or in terms of searching
  • I always think and then search rather than randomly jamming in letter combination's, so that I tend to know what I am looking for, and therefore don't much like the helpful browser throwing up suggestions
But since I do use Opera 10xx, I'll try Opera 11xx when it is ready, or if I think the additional features changes from Opera 10xx make it more useful to me.

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 »

Aging Technogeek wrote:As of Dec. 16, Opera 11 is in final stable release. :D :D

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/12/opera-11 ... nsion.html

http://my.opera.com/chooseopera/blog/
Yep, using it now!

http://www.opera.com/browser/features/

Tab stacking.

I also like how pinned tabs shrink to icon size and move to the far left. That's a very nice feature. Why other browsers aren't coming up with these innovations I will never understand. Nothing can beat Opera when it comes to included features in a vanilla install.

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Aging Technogeek wrote:As of Dec. 16, Opera 11 is in final stable release. :D :D

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/12/opera-11 ... nsion.html

http://my.opera.com/chooseopera/blog/
Yes and I use it since the first day! :D

Personally, I'm not really fan of "If I go back and type that word again it doesn't autofill"... So I don't miss it.
JonM33 wrote:Why other browsers aren't coming up with these innovations I will never understand. Nothing can beat Opera when it comes to included features in a vanilla install.
Well, Opera has always been ahead of other, e.g. it was the the first browser to have tabs... :roll:

linXea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linXea »

Opera, my favorite browser. I hope the bugs from 10.x have been resolved. :D
Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad x200, Intel core 2 centrino 2,4ghz, 4GB RAM, 240gb SSD

Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gramps50 »

I hope it works better than 10.x on certain sites, for instance it doesn't do Google calendar well. it doesn't work well for me on ebay and I know there are others that I can recall off hand. I was using it for my general browsing but find myself switching back to FF for certain things. I more or less have the same problem with Chroimum though not as bad. I also find Chromimum faster than either FF or Opera. Guess I will have to give 11b a try.
LMDE ROCKS!!!

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I use firefox.....its not the fastest but then again the fastest is not always the best. The old way is the good way by what I have been told. :D :lol:
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Far out! I had tried opera 10 a couple of times and it was not intuitive to set up at all. I was totally unimpressed and disappointed. I Just downloaded 11 and got it set up in 5 minutes just the way I wanted. Definitely deserves a spot on my Cairo Dock! It may even replace Firefox. :shock:
Mint MATE 19.3

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 »

linuxviolin wrote:Well, Opera has always been ahead of other, e.g. it was the the first browser to have tabs... :roll:
True but they haven't done anything since then. Firefox and Chrome are rather bland with a default install. Nothing special. No nice features. Dare I say that IE9 has more to offer than either of those two.

Return to “Open chat”