Better than Mint?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
OldManHook

Better than Mint?

Post by OldManHook »

Linux Mint vs Pinguy OS :shock:
Check This Out :)
The Showdown :lol: http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/01/linu ... view.html#
So now we have two that is better than Ubuntu :?:
Don't care for Pinguy OS Here :) Too busy
Is Pinguy better than Mint :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Better than Mint?

Post by vrkalak »

OldManHook wrote:Linux Mint vs Pinguy OS :shock:
So now we have two that is better than Ubuntu :?:
More than 2 . . . have you checked out UltimateEdition 2.8 OS (also, Ubuntu-based)

I still think that LinuxMint has them both beat . . . especially LMDE.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

I saw that review, and I appreciate all the effort Pinguy has done with that OS. It is still fairly new, and is certainly gaining some good comments.

The field of Ubuntu-derivatives is getting broad and varied, I can say that much. What makes LMDE stand out from the pack is the Testing base combined with the Mint goodies. Nothing else in this category comes to mind right now. Well, PCLinuxOS is good. Gotta give some credit there.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

It would almost appear that Pinguy is attempting to 1-up Ultimate Edition. It's tough trying to be all things to all people. Hopefully they will settle down and lose some weight as they start to find a receptive audience. I may give it a spin sometime to see how it compares based on my own usage habits.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

tdockery97 wrote:It would almost appear that Pinguy is attempting to 1-up Ultimate Edition. It's tough trying to be all things to all people.
The latest version of PinguyOS, even, has the Compiz Cube active as default.
Which is not necessarily, a good thing ... if a 'newbie' messes it up ... they won't know how to fix it themselves. And lose interest in Linux.
Although, PinguyOS does have a very elaborate Conky pre-installed.

And the UltimateEdition-2.8 desktop is really, really blue. Everything in the intricate artwork is blue. Over-kill blue.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

vrkalak wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:It would almost appear that Pinguy is attempting to 1-up Ultimate Edition. It's tough trying to be all things to all people.
The latest version of PinguyOS, even, has the Compiz Cube active as default.
Which is not necessarily, a good thing ... if a 'newbie' messes it up ... they won't know how to fix it themselves. And lose interest in Linux.
Although, PinguyOS does have a very elaborate Conky pre-installed.

And the UltimateEdition-2.8 desktop is really, really blue. Everything in the intricate artwork is blue. Over-kill blue.
+1 on the overkill blue. I like some of the functionality gains you get with UE, such as an included Broadcom driver like PCLinuxOS, but it's personal preference stuff for me that is just over the top. I like the OS to be capable, fast and have a nice appearance, but I think as I get older things that look clean and uncluttered are more appealing. Again, just preference and you can't possibly please everyone. Overall I like what it can do and what it includes (I'd rather have too much software than not enough), but some of the eye candy makes it feel like a cluttered display where I'm paying attention to the OS instead of what I'm doing....distracting I suppose would be a good description. It's awesome when you want it, but to have it 100% of the time for me is too much.

Ok, all that opinion I just typed means absolutely nothing. Love it or hate it, UE is pretty cool and as the devs gain skills in photo editing (gotta admit that 2.8 default background is cheesy and poorly done) it will look more polished upon initial boot up for newer users. Anyone can change themes, backgrounds, mouse pointers, etc., but it's great that they include so much for users who want more than 1 app per category by default.

I still think Mint far outshines either of the others. It's cleaner, stays out of the way but looks beautiful at the same time. Again, just preference, but elegant and capable is a good mix to keep users. To me PinguyOS just looks too much like Ubuntu (easy to change, but by default it appears that way to me) and needs to take a bit from Mint or UE to move a bit away from the default settings of Ubuntu to create its own identity. Dock bars do make it different, but it also needs its own theme and coloring that just gives it a bit different personality so someone doesn't just use it and think "why not just go use Ubuntu". I don't mean that in a negative way, just that Pinguy does some cool things to Ubuntu and changing its easy to fix things like the themes and background to something distro-specific like Mint does would really gain it a personality all its own.

That's all for my humble opinion....:)
deleted

Post by deleted »

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-- Isaac Newton

-H
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I like the way you think, hinto.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I tried Pinguy some months back and I was pretty impressed, although it's not really my cup of tea.

IMO Mint is still the best overall distro.
DEAD_MAN_WALKING

Post by DEAD_MAN_WALKING »

Found this article on PinguyOS - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-li ... -pinguyos/

Seems everything is borrowed from Mint...
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

DEAD_MAN_WALKING wrote:Seems everything is borrowed from Mint...
Retract my previous statement . . . my brain was misinformed. :lol: I thought that that's what he said

*Isn't the first time, I've put my foot in my mouth . . . probably, won't be my last.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well it shows Mints growing in ways we have yet to see..... :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
yugnip

Post by yugnip »

vrkalak wrote:
DEAD_MAN_WALKING wrote:Seems everything is borrowed from Mint...
I have talked with the Developer of Pinguy via IRC-Chat.

He admits that Pinguy is not actually based on Ubuntu ... but, is based on Mint.

Whereas, some other new OS-derivatives are based on Ubuntu ... looks like Mint actually, has another Distro branched off us.

The OS Tree continues to grow > GNU/Linux > Debian > Ubuntu > Mint > Pinguy :lol:
Hi vrkalak, haven't seen ya around the Pinguy OS IRC for a bit... nor our forums. I wondered where you'd been. Now that I find this, I am a little disappointed. Your comments here are vastly different than on our forums:

http://www.pinguyos.com/forum/Thread-pi ... 90#pid1690 this comment is kinda funny as you relate to us that Pinguy OS is better than mint.

http://www.pinguyos.com/forum/Thread-th ... 966#pid966 and this one is kinda funny, as it shows you know Pinguy OS is not based on Mint, but Ubuntu as Pinguy has always stated.

http://www.pinguyos.com/forum/Thread-re ... 788#pid788 now this one should have clued us in on what was up, but it's funny that you say Pinguy OS is Ubuntu to the third power nonetheless.

Mint is a great OS for sure. I wish you had said right away that you were a Mint mod, and that your intent was just checking Pinguy OS out. No, rather you came to our community as an infiltrator? I thought we were buds, and enjoyed hanging out with you-- something we did frequently. And I feel like, if you weren't going to stick around and were just trying out the OS to let Mint people know what was up, you could have at least been honest. We would have welcomed you nonetheless.

Frankly, telling people you talked with Pinguy about Pinguy OS being based on Mint is a flat out fabrication. Pinguy OS has Mint Update and Mint Menu. If that's all Mint consists of, then there's some truth to your statement. But we all know that's not true.

Now I am not here to bash Mint or start some sort of silly OS soap opera. Just feeling a little put out by vrkalak's lack of integrity. Keep up the good work otherwise, as Mint is an excellent choice.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

My Interest has been peaked I think I will put Pinguy on a VB and give him a Spin
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

yugnip wrote:Mint is a great OS for sure. I wish you had said right away that you were a Mint mod, and that your intent was just checking Pinguy OS out. No, rather you came to our community as an infiltrator? I thought we were buds, and enjoyed hanging out with you-- something we did frequently. And I feel like, if you weren't going to stick around and were just trying out the OS to let Mint people know what was up, you could have at least been honest. We would have welcomed you nonetheless.

Frankly, telling people you talked with Pinguy about Pinguy OS being based on Mint is a flat out fabrication. Pinguy OS has Mint Update and Mint Menu. If that's all Mint consists of, then there's some truth to your statement. But we all know that's not true.

Now I am not here to bash Mint or start some sort of silly OS soap opera. Just feeling a little put out by vrkalak's lack of integrity. Keep up the good work otherwise, as Mint is an excellent choice.
I was not a Mint Mod back then.

I found Pinguy via Distrowatch and I downloaded and installed Pinguy in full honesty and integrity and I see nothing wrong with PinguyOS, it's Forum, it's IRC-chat or it's Dev. I don't think I have spoken negatively about your chosen OS ... everything I said here ... I also, said to you and Pinguy himself.
That's one of the cool things about Linux ... you can try everything and keep what works for you.

As I said, in the links to what I said in the Pinguy Forum ... Ubuntu to the 3rd power ... Ubuntu > Mint > Pinguy
I would recommend either Mint or Pinguy to a newly converted Linux user, depending on where they are in their learning of Linux.
I never said nor implied that Pinguy was not a good nor well made OS ... I still recommend Pinguy to others ...

If you feel you were misled or befriendly unjustly, I apologize.
I believe that I mentioned that I used Debian primarily ... and that I also, used Mint and Crunchbang. I still do.
yugnip

Post by yugnip »

vrkalak wrote: I still recommend Pinguy to others ... If you feel you were misled or befriendly unjustly, I apologize.
I believe that I mentioned that I used Debian primarily and that I also, used Mint and Crunchbang.
Yes, haven't we all used other OS? Pinguy OS has only been available for 6 months or so. Still, I appreciate the response. Here's an olive branch-- retract the (incorrect) statement that Pinguy told you, or implied that, the OS was based on Mint or the allusion thereof and we're best buddies again.

Or don't, and I am still your bud :)

Everyone is welcome at Pinguy OS, whether you use it or not. We have a nice, friendly, open community. Drop by just to chat, or school me on my noobness. Either way we'd love to have you.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well I have now officially added PinGuy to a Virtural and hes running :D
DEAD_MAN_WALKING

Post by DEAD_MAN_WALKING »

Lol :D at this thread.

Hey i thought us Linux users where all supposed to be singing from the same hymn sheet.

My 1st glance(not used) of Pinguy OS reminded me of the elementary OS and so what if borrows 1 or 2 things from Mint thats what its there for.
...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it. (by Linus)
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

DEAD_MAN_WALKING wrote:Lol :D at this thread.

Hey i thought us Linux users where all supposed to be singing from the same hymn sheet.
...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it. (by Linus)
We are all singing the same hymn but, using different hymnals (hymn books) :lol: I'm always off key ... but, I have fun.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Just to keep the discussion going, has anyone taken a look at the new version of Zorin OS? It is similar to Pinguy in that it has everything included by default except the kitchen sink (that may be there too, I didn't look).It is forked from Ubuntu, the default desktop is Gnome, it is easy to install and, in a bid to attract the most Windows converts, includes an app called "Look Changer" that sets the desktop to look like Windows XP, Windows 7, or Ubuntu.

I had it running in Virtualbox for a while. I didn't care much for it. It was too bloated and the desktop choices did not appeal to me.

Return to “Open Chat”