IE

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
jpervect

IE

Post by jpervect »

What exactly do I need to do to get IE (any version) set up and running using Wine? I would like to be able to use plug-ins from third parties with IE as well, so if you know of any special configurations for that, please include them. Keep in mind that I am a total NEWBIE and don't know much about Linux, so please put it on a very simple level. Thanks in advance for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: IE

Post by tdockery97 »

You'll never have it work well because it is certainly not meant to. That said, here is the method from WineHQ: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=469.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
jesica

Post by jesica »

so what is a plug-in and what do you use it for
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

jesica wrote:so what is a plug-in and what do you use it for
In computing, a plug-in (or plugin) is a set of software components that adds specific capabilities to a larger software application. If supported, plug-ins enable customizing the functionality of an application. For example, plug-ins are commonly used in web browsers to play video, scan for viruses, and display new file types. Well-known plug-ins examples include Adobe Flash Player and QuickTime.
This being the case, why would you not just use Firefox? It has a large number of Plug-ins available, but I'm not exactly sure what type of plug-in you are trying to use?

Good Luck,
Dave
gn2

Post by gn2 »

Sometimes the Firefox User Agent Switcher add-on can be useful.....
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Why not just use Google Chrome or Chromium instead? It's a great web browser, is fast, has excellent rendering and much more secure then Internet Explorer and seems to be compatible with all the sites that internet explorer can access...
ronandiver

Post by ronandiver »

Wouldn't touch IE with a barge pole.....Chromium in the package manager is the way to go !! :wink:
jesica

Post by jesica »

Yes Google Chrome works for me, it is nice and fast also
jpervect

Post by jpervect »

First, thanks for all the input. I will give all suggestions a try that I haven't tried already.

Second: I have tried the User Agent Switcher for what I want to do and it didn't help there.

Exactly what I want to do: Fancast through Comcast does not support Linux and there are many movies and tv shows on there that I want to watch. They only support Mac and Window$. I want to know how to set up IE on Wine to see if it will be a work-around for this. I am hoping that it will. If it does, maybe it will work for Netflix as well.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

jpervect wrote:First, thanks for all the input. I will give all suggestions a try that I haven't tried already.

Second: I have tried the User Agent Switcher for what I want to do and it didn't help there.

Exactly what I want to do: Fancast through Comcast does not support Linux and there are many movies and tv shows on there that I want to watch. They only support Mac and Window$. I want to know how to set up IE on Wine to see if it will be a work-around for this. I am hoping that it will. If it does, maybe it will work for Netflix as well.
Netflix requires the MS product SilverlIght, so maybe a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox) with WinTendo and then get the "seemless" mode on the VM working.
That should produce a watch-able full screen video in a suitable environment on your Linux computer.

"You can also watch instantly on your PC or Mac!" says Netflix.
Now you know that's not accurate.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

jpervect wrote:First, thanks for all the input. I will give all suggestions a try that I haven't tried already.

Try to install this plug-in to FF - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... etrenderer

Then restart FF and try to open that stupid sick :evil: page, maybe it'll help... :)
Also u can combine above plug-in with agent switcher :wink:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

have a look at cx10 from
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

their latest offering has even better support for M$ie7

( you probably won't get M$ie8 working under 'nix)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Open Chat”