Help a Needy Child get a Linux Powered Computer

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Jeff91

Help a Needy Child get a Linux Powered Computer

Post by Jeff91 »

I would like to take a moment to ask all of you to take a moment out of your day to help a wonderful group of people called the Helios Initiative.

The Helios Initiative is a not for profit organization, based out of Austin Texas, that restores old, donated computers and gives them free of charge to those that are in need of them. Instead of using costly, restrictive, proprietary software to restore these computers the Helios Initiative uses free open source software.

They have been entered in a costest that could win them some free funding to continue their work. For more information on this, see my blog post here

tl/dr Help out a great group of people that provide needy children with Linux computers with just a mouse click. Between 9am CST on Feb 1st 2011 and 9am CST on Feb 3rd 2011 go here and click the like button. Please note I am posting this at 7am CST

Cheers,
~Jeff Hoogland
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
edwardr

Re: Help a Needy Child get a Linux Powered Computer

Post by edwardr »

I was just thinking about donating some cd drives to them. I clicked on the "Like" link.
jokersloose

Post by jokersloose »

That's very cool, I've been rebuilding some systems and giving them to kids where I live. Nothing near on the scale they are doing only given out 3 so far. LOL But it's still very cool.
Lostwithaclue

Post by Lostwithaclue »

Very cool idea. My wife and I thought about doing that in Michigan but with Windows. I soon discovered it would be such a pain in the A-- to get the OK from M$ to do that. When I get back from my extended vacation I may look into doing this with Linux and setting up the system in a familiar Windows fashion. Thanks for the inspiration of a dead idea.

Return to “Open Chat”