How important is a fast hard drive, beyond basic 7200 rpm?

Chat about just about anything else
Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

How important is a fast hard drive, beyond basic 7200 rpm?

Post by Nick_Djinn »

I dont use Windows a lot, but Windows did rate my hard drive at 5.9, the lowest rating of any of my hardware. I guess even good hard drives will rate this way because 6+ is reserved for solid state drives? Would a velociraptor rate higher than 5.9 at 10,000 rpm?

Would I notice a significant improvement in general performance getting a faster or dual processor Caviar black over a 7200 rpm Caviar green? Over a 5900 Caviar green? Would it be worth upgrading from a 7200 RPM Barracuda as my primary drive to a velociraptor when it comes to performance?

I have 8gb of 800 mghrz ddr2 ram. What would improve if I upgraded my HD? Would would get worse if I downgraded to a 5900 green model?
On an AM2+ do I need to worry about SATA-6.0?

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How important is a fast hard drive, beyond basic 7200 rp

Post by DrHu »

Actually yes, you would notice a faster response form your hard drive running at that higher speed
--however the usual slower speed drives are at 5400; 5900 RPM I have never heard of
  • 5400RPM drives are often used in notebooks to keep costs down, I guess they might save a few dollars by using the slower speed drives, they may also save some power (battery and otherwise)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive
  • Mobile HDDs or laptop HDDs, smaller than their desktop and enterprise counterparts, tend to be slower and have lower capacity. A typical mobile HDD spins at either 4200 rpm, 5200 rpm, 5400 rpm, or 7200 rpm

Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Western digital caviar green is a downclocked caviar black 7200 running at 5900. Its 3.5 and its not to save money necessarily. Its possible that they used the drives with slower clock speed already and further downgraded them to be a quiet and green product. They have 2TB drives for $90 clocked at 5900 rpm.

There are actually a lot of 'energy friendly' drives at 5900, so Im a little surprised that you dont know about them.

Daboo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daboo »

With 8GB of RAM, I doubt you could really notice much difference in real life. The magazine reviews will state differently, but they need to for advertising dollars.

One way to get a feel for it, is to load the programs the way you usually do, then notice how often the hard drive light is flashing while you are working. For those of us with plebian needs like email and word processing, our hard drive light won't be flashing. Everything will be done in RAM. If you're doing desktop publishing, you might see the hard drive accessed, but probably not often.

Most of the time, the limiting factor on how fast your computer can get something done will be you.

Chris

libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

You might want to take a look at the new Seagate Momentus hybrid drives. Not quite as fast as a SSD, but substantially faster than a straight HDD. It's all about access time; I run Linux off a 32gb SSD, with access time around 0.27 ms.

Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Does AM2+ with Phenom quad support that? I dont think I have USB3 os SSD capability.

Im holding out for AM3+ and the new Bulldozer architecture before I upgrade, and also for high speed low latency ddr3 to come down. When they have 200gb SSD for under $250 I might go for it. Otherwise I would be taking a hit in latency for minimal CPU benefits and USB3 and it would cost me over a thousand to build.....SSD and USB3 are the big selling points. I also like to support the underdog, which is AMD in this instance.

Does AMD play as nicely with Nvidia compared to ATI?

Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Oh yeah, Im a gamer. Not a heavy gamer but I game.

hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hemimaniac »

It has truly been my experience that for 90% of users a 7200rpm HDD with even a 16MB cache is good enough for day to day use, now with that being said, there is something special about having that 10,000 or 15,000 rpm raptor or SSD drive installed if you are looking for the up-most performance from your games or real heavy/complex re-coding or rendering apps. This is actually an area of the system that is often overlooked during the initial build, but it does come down to (IMO) cost vs need = result

example;

Grandma's comp for just email, pics and face book, anything 5400 to 7200 will do (usually limited to the customers budget)

average med-heavy user (email, net, vids, streamingas this usually winds up written to /tmp somewhere anyhoo) ) covers the largest demographic , minimum should be 7200 rpm drives and up (once again cost related)

Heavy user ( Hardcore gaming, software creator, re-coding, heavy database applications) more likely the top 10% of userbase, (usually money really no question with this group) ultra high rpm drives or ssd for the os and 7200 drives for storage.

as i said earlier, just my opinion and experience
"Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'"

Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Im a 'medium' gaming. I use my computer as a streaming entertainment center broadcasting to the television in high def while doing graphical editing and music production, or while converting movies from one format to another.

I use slower Western Digital 'Green" drives for storage, 2x2TB, then I have a samsung that spins at 7200 with 64mb cache and I hear its rated pretty fast for a 7200 rpm. This is 1gb and where I put my operating systems and home folder. Most movies stream from the slower green drives.

Now, can I even use a hybrid drive with 4gb SS-cache in an AM2+ with Phenom-2 quad?

Would a volociraptor be worth it? One of the 2.5 inch THICK desktop raptors in the 3.5 casing? I could afford it, but I would be downgrading from 1tb to 300mb for the operating systems.

Currently I am not using Raid for anything. Ive never set up raid.

piquat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by piquat »

Nick_Djinn wrote:Now, can I even use a hybrid drive with 4gb SS-cache in an AM2+ with Phenom-2 quad?
A hybrid drive is going to look like any other drive to the system.

An SSD will also but they take a little consideration when setting up to be mindful of things like partition alignment and making sure TRIM is working.

Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Do I have the same concerns with a hybrid drive? I hear there are some disadvantages to those as well. Do they have any where the disk does NOT slow down?

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

Moving from a 5400 rpm Western Digital drive to an Intel SSD cut the boot time (from grub to the login manager) on my testing laptop down by over 50%. Application launch times are also notably quicker. This is a system with 4 GB of DDR2 RAM and a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo. Essentially what this tells me is that the hard drive speed was by far the weakest link regarding system performance. Though I didn't do a direct comparison with a 7200 rpm drive in the same system, the test laptop now boots (again, grub to the login manager) and loads apps faster than my dev laptop which is using 8 GB of DDR3 and a quad core 2.66 GHz i7. Needless to say I'll be moving the dev laptop over to an SSD just as soon as my wallet can handle it.
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.

Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Thank you for the input.

Return to “Open chat”