windows screwd me over in programming class

Chat about just about anything else
bladethefox
Level 1
Level 1

windows screwd me over in programming class

Post by bladethefox » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:22 pm

I was in programming class a few days ago working on a timer to count down the end of school. and I was doing everything correctly as the teacher said inputing the right code and when I launched the application it ran fine but when I closed the application a message appeared saying send error report or don't send, you know that message so I clicked on don't send and visual basic closed down and restarted, so it basically just crashed. And the worst part was that I did not save my work so I had to rewrite the code and recreate everything!it got me mad but it made me realize why I use Linux. The computers ran windows xp btw. but I got caught up and now I save after everything I do.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Re: windows screwd me over in programming class

Post by Habitual » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:15 pm

Saving one's work is Universal and not limited to the WinTendo platform or a development environment.

Here's a tip:
Save the originals and work with copies!

Welcome to the LinuxMint Community btw...!

There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=20
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/

For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat

Enjoy the Minty goodness!

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm curious, how did you lose so much unsaved work when the project would have been saved before compilation? i don't see why you would have needed to rewrite it all.

bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bobcollard » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Many years ago when I took a course in Micro Computer Repair, after I built my first computer we were using 5 1/4" floppies and the very first lesson was copy the system disk to RAM, make a copy and use the copy, never the original disk for anything except making copies. A hard lesson you learned, benefit from it, what does not kill you makes you stronger.
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64

kvv
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kvv » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:55 pm

If you compiled the code and ran it, the code is still saved somewhere. Unless you faced a massive hardware crash or something of that sort.

Anyway, welcome to Linux. It is *much* better for development, though you can't do Visual Basic. :s

bladethefox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bladethefox » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:53 am

thanks but I am no newbie to linux I was a fedora user and mandriva user and slackware user and ubuntu user.

bladethefox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bladethefox » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:55 am

randomizer wrote:I'm curious, how did you lose so much unsaved work when the project would have been saved before compilation? i don't see why you would have needed to rewrite it all.
it was not that much code but I forgot to save and when it crashed could not find it so I recreated it.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:02 pm

You cannot run a program when it is not saved, Visual Basic saves automatically before compiling or starting the program.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Open chat”