when did Linux become mainstream?

Chat about just about anything else
pompom
Level 4
Level 4

when did Linux become mainstream?

Postby pompom » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:38 am

Hi Folks,

Would anyone like to propose a different date for the day when Linux became mainstream? I have read in a major Linux publication in a letter to the editor that Ubuntu forums are written by illiterates for illiterates. So I decided to answer this jibe with this question: "When did Linux become mainstream?" I believe that it was the work of Jim Kent on June 22, 2000 running 100 256 RAM machines in a Beowulf cluster for the Human Genome Sequencing Project.

Cheers,

pompom
"This is Linux. It gives you cute mascot and enough rope to hang yourself." --- Miquel van Smoorenburg

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: when did Linux become mainstream?

Postby JasonLG » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:35 am

pompom wrote:Hi Folks,

Would anyone like to propose a different date for the day when Linux became mainstream? I have read in a major Linux publication in a letter to the editor that Ubuntu forums are written by illiterates for illiterates. So I decided to answer this jibe with this question: "When did Linux become mainstream?" I believe that it was the work of Jim Kent on June 22, 2000 running 100 256 RAM machines in a Beowulf cluster for the Human Genome Sequencing Project.

Cheers,

pompom

By mainstream you mean common or the norm? I'd hardly call sequencing genes a mainstream(common) task. Do you do a lot of gene sequencing on clusters in your spare time, because boy I do? I recently deciphered the generic code of The Great Canadian Kodiak Marmoset myself using a cluster of 25 Sega Genesises.

Seriously though, I couldn't tell you a date but so far Android is the closest thing to mainstream that Linux has achieved. Too bad most people have no idea that at the heart of android is the Linux kernel.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby msuggs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:45 am

pompom wrote:I have read in a major Linux publication in a letter to the editor that Ubuntu forums are written by illiterates for illiterates.

I think you'd get quite few people agreeing with that statement.

@pompom, I don't understand the point you are making nor the question. It needs some clarification. What do you mean by mainstream?

Troy
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Troy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:40 am

My brother, sister, sister in law, mother and father all have android phones and they did not know they were running Linux. I think it is main stream. Do you have a DVR? Have a PS3? Most people don't know that they love Linux, right? They day of the Linux desktop has passed. We missed it by just a few years. Vista, netbooks not running Windows, just before Apple took off with super popularity. Linux had it chance at the desktop but could not come though because it did not have leadership.

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Postby The-Wizard » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:01 am

They day of the Linux desktop has passed.

I think that may be a Misnomer, with more people like myself abandoning windozzzzz for an alternative OS it would appear to me, that Linex based OS are merely late developing children, which have found their feet and started to thrive on the love bestowed to them, Like all such children the odd glitch will manifest itself,only to make the child stronger, and with more admirers every day it would be hoped that the child will blossom and move the world,

word of mouth is faster than the dollar tell more people of mint, and it will also grow faster

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Postby DrHu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:32 pm

Linux isn't mainstream even today..
    And by mainstream, I have to guess well known,. popular or generally available
    --ins computer stores or on-line, for example..

You just have to look at the b rands being offered, Microsoft and Apple to see that
    If you have followed any of Microsoft's history, you will see how they have eviscerated erstwhile competitors including Apple

For most companies, cloud computing
    Using the Internet as a storage repository, or as an applications provider is the new normal
    --despite the popularity of some OS platforms or office suites
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing
http://communication.howstuffworks.com/ ... puting.htm

Cloud offers, vendors..
http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/cloud.html
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud/de ... tab2-small
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/googl ... mputer.htm
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/cloud-c ... osoft/2730

Morgan Krieg
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Morgan Krieg » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:10 am

It didn't.

fletcher
Level 3
Level 3

Postby fletcher » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:04 am

Linux is mainstream?! Shoot, gotta go change my OS now.

Seriously though, Linux is not really mainstream. Not enough people use it. Even with the popularity of Android, which as stated many people do not even know is Linux (I have talked to several people who didn't know that myself). Android is only the phone market, very small.

Still very few people (comparatively) using Linux on a desktop or laptop.

That may change, but it will be slow. MS finally has a hit with 7, as almost everyone I've talked with really likes it. I use it only at school, an the computers there, so I hate it. Runs too slow when there are a thousand computers networked together.

I am trying to spread the word about Linux, both talking to people and through my company, but I have had very limited success. Most people have still never heard of Linux, and of the people who have, many of them think that is still Slackware in 1993, all command line, no GUI, hard to use, very hard to learn, and cannot do much.

I don't think Linux will ever actually be 'mainstream,' I think it will just gain more users, but never market dominance, or even close. Frankly, though, I think it is better if it never gets mainstream. Less of a target for malware that way. And if it became mainstream, I worry that the quality of the various distros would suffer (too many different distros is another reason Linux will probably never be mainstream, especially with major differences between them, ie Red Hat is very different than Debian is very different from slackware, but Linux users like it that way, most people would not, they want something familiar).

tatsujin79
Level 2
Level 2

Postby tatsujin79 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:59 pm

I agree that the closest linux has gotten to being mainstream probably is android even thou most people don't realise its even linux. You could possibly make the argument that it started with the car navigation devices which used linux as a base.
http://screenshotsfrlinux.freeforums.org

My Machine:
IBM T41 ~ Pentium M 1.6 Ghz ~ 1 GB Ram ~ 40 GB Hard drive ~ Radeon Mobility 7500 32MB

Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Nick_Djinn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:03 pm

The phone market is not smaller than the desktop market. If anything, the phone market is BIGGER than the desktop market. Many houses have one computer and 5 smartphones.

Globally, there are more devices running Linux than Windows.

Globally, Linux is really popular. Most of the stats that put Linux at 2% or less are outdated, dont include smartphones or netbooks, or are very US-centric....dont monitor hits from non-English or non-US websites. Their credibility should be taken with a grain of salt, unless you are only interested in Americans and specifically their desktops.

Return to “Open chat”