Atom or Zacate for mobile programming?

Chat about just about anything else
LarryP
Level 3
Level 3

Atom or Zacate for mobile programming?

Post by LarryP »

I'm looking at getting a new laptop/netbook soon for going back to school. I'm leaning towards a netbook for battery life ,but am wondering if the atom or zacate would be sufficient for programming in C++ and Python? Currently I'm using a laptop with a 2 ghz single core battery life on this one is seriously sucky which is why I'm thinking netbook.
TANSTAAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch
bitmason
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Atom or Zacate for mobile programming?

Post by bitmason »

IMO, If you go the route of netbooks, stick with atom processors - from what I've seen with intel-based chipsets, they seem to be really good a power conservation. Then again, You might want to consider the following:

1. If you are going to use a netbook, consider using it as a place to write code only.

2. If you choose a laptop, purchase anm extra battery, get one with the option to use an extended life battery.

No matter what platform you choose, your power consumption is going to go through the roof at compile time.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
- Calvin & Hobbes
Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Atom or Zacate for mobile programming?

Post by Kendall »

Consider your budget very carefully. It's possible to get laptops in small size categories with amazing computing power and positively epic battery life, but they're rather expensive (e.g. Lenovo X201). In the netbook department I've seen the best results with Atom processors.
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.

Return to “Open chat”