Life on the Road

Chat about just about anything else
Robin
Level 4
Level 4

Life on the Road

Post by Robin »

Hi y'all!

I just want to say thank you to all the truckers out there! Every thing on every shelf in every store; all our food, clothes, gadgets, toys, and necessities of life in any store, got there by truck! They have a saying, "If you bought it, a truck brought it." And it's true!

My family has had a financial disaster and last year, just before Christmas, we lost our home. For awhile we lived in our car, in a shelter, or camped out, or stayed with friends. I'm not whining about the plight of homeless kids and families (I've resisted the temptation to do so), but just setting up the reason for my salute to truckers. Papa got a job, finally, driving a big rig. Momma went to live with her parents and I'm on the road with Papa, living in an 18-wheeler, home schooling via internet, and seeing the country! Very cool, except for a few "stalkers" at the truck stops, lol. :oops: It's hard on a kid who loves to dance though! Dancing at a truck stop gets alot of strange looks so I don't do it much. But anyway:

Papa never knows whether he's going to be driving during the day or at night, where the next load will take us, where we might have our next meal. He works a 14-hour workday most days! I'm his little "navigator" and keep all the paperwork (there's tons of that too!), and help him stay awake when he's really tired. I'm always cheerful which helps him alot. He's making really good money though, enough hopefully to get us a place to live soon - but he'll be on the road most of the time, rarely getting home to enjoy all the things he works so hard to provide for us.

It's fun seeing the country though, and meeting lots of nice people along the way. Y'know what surprises me most is that a LOT of truckers used to do something else! I've met truckers who used to be firefighters, cops, preachers, businessmen, former military officers, and even a tenured college professor (with a Ph.D!). That just amazes me. The stereotypes are all wrong. I haven't met many other kids like me who live in a truck (even temporarily), but I have met one trucker who uses Ubuntu on the road! I was so happy to find another "Linux road warrior" that I couldn't resist striking up a conversation (I'm never supposed to do that with a stranger but he's a Linux user!). Now we keep in touch via e-mail. A new penpal, lol.

Anyway, before this gets too long: Truckers, I salute you! You guys do awesome, unappreciated work and get too little respect from people who just take going to the store and buying stuff for granted. You live a hard, lonely life far from home. You work hard at a tedious job with a random schedule. Your profession is one of the most heavily regulated on Earth, and you do it all without complaining.

Be nice to the truckers, y'all. Give them LOTS of room to maneuver on the roads, and be patient with them when they're hauling 40 tons up a steep hill at slow speed. And if you love a trucker, give him or her plenty of respect for giving up a normal life to provide for you. Hugs go a long way, even with big tough truckers.

On the road with Papa,
Robin

kvv
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Life on the Road

Post by kvv »

Kudos to you, Robin! I am amazed at your positive attitude towards everything in life. I have never been in your situation (have faced, and I am going through other slightly hard times), but your optimism is very inspiring! I hope things continue becoming better for you and your family with every passing day.

And it's really cool to hear about the Linux Road Warrior! :) Shows that it's definitely not just the geeks who enjoy and appreciate Linux! :)

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery from a bad situation, Robin. Best wishes to you and your family.
Mint Cinnamon 19.3

tatsujin79
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tatsujin79 »

Nice post robin my family comes mainly from the south, half of us are truckers and it can be a hard, thankless job. Im glad that your family got work and are on the "road" to recovery (pun certainly intended) . Its cool your out seeing the country that is one thing I think everyone should do if at all they are able. Have fun on the road. Truck stop buffets are AWESOME!

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

They have a saying, "If you bought it, a truck brought it." And it's true!
I'm from the wide open prairies of Canada . :) . . we also know it as true !

Nice to hear about your new, and exciting? situation . . . how many places have you been through? are you keeping a personal log book? :D
  • Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance!
    Proverb
dancing.jpg
dancing.jpg (43.6 KiB) Viewed 2528 times

on the road of life . . . :wink:
richy

Robin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Robin »

Hey that's a good idea, RichyRich! I could keep a li'l diary or blog or something. Maybe just a "log book" though, because you don't really get to visit all the cool places we go, you just see them - waving at them you they go by, lol. I've "seen" historic battlefields and landmarks, the famous arch of St Louis, the great battleship Alabama, stuff like that. But in a big rig you can't stop and take the tours. Much as I would love that! Hopefully I can get Papa to drop me off at one if he's going by it on the way back from picking up or delivering a load, and if it's even accessible to a truck, and picking me up on the way back by.

But omygosh, this country is soooooo huge! Seen mountains and valleys, wind farms, oil fields, miles and miles of farm land. I've been in lots of big scary crowded cities with buildings that seem to reach the clouds. It's just amazing to a kid who never traveled beyond my hometown except on short vacation trips. I had no idea!

Truck stop buffets have great food, but Papa says they're "High risk," lol. And one thing is sure: You cannot afford to get sick if you're a trucker! The driver only makes money when the wheels are turning.

I eat well, I'm way ahead in school (going to graduate in May!) and start college (also online, probably, though I think I enjoy the classroom experience a lot more) soon. I already have abuncha college credits because before we lost our home I was "dual-enrolled" (homeschool and community college combined). Papa wants to go back to school too. I think that's awesome! But in the meantime he's making enough money that we hope to have a "real" home in a few months, with all our debts paid. And I can get back to dancing without drawing strange looks. Dancing at a truckstop tends to do that, lol, but I can't help myself sometimes.

On the road with Papa, learning a lot, exploring a lot, making a few new friends (when it feels safe and Papa isn't glaring at me for talking to strangers), and enjoying this cool adventure,

Robin

Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

Wow Robin, you seem to have an amazing ability to take everything in your stride.

I think in the big scheme of things people have little say in how their lives pan out. It's better just to make the most of any situation and enjoy it :)
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

I can remember traveling to and from the city with dad in his big truck (over 40 yrs ago), I can still see him, stopped in the middle of a busy intersection, steam coming out his ears, trying not to swear, the theme focused on some driver 'lacking common courtesy'. Dad would have a favorite place for our stops, not too far off his path, small, usually family owned, and of course a place to park his rig. I can still taste those homemade burgers, or that hard ice cream with a name that I couldn't even pronounce. :D

And what I saw ! Keep your eyes open Robin, you will see sights that few others will. :shock:
truck_sunrise.jpg
truck_sunrise.jpg (30.7 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
Trucks.jpg
Trucks.jpg (58.03 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
For simple notes, tasks, contacts and calendar in Xfce, I use Osmo. If you want to learn about writing wiki/blogging, be able to pswd protect, and backup, then I suggest that you take a look at rednotebook. The latest version (1.13) is available in Synaptic when you enable the removed repository in Software Sources.

regards, richy

macy77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by macy77 »

I knew a guy who was a driver, and their really WAS hard. There's a lot to commit to and dangers on the road for such a LONG period of time, so thank for making this post for them :) Who else is going to drive all the stuff we need around?

mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Wonderful thread that you have started here, Robin. I am sure the forum would be none the worse for it if we keep it alive. Do keep sharing with us the images and accounts of all the places you visit/pass through, and your experiences there.
Rah-Rah, Robin, Go Truckers!
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

Robin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Robin »

What an interesting lifestyle... nothing like RVing, it's "all work and no play" for alot of the folks who do it. I try to make sure that Papa makes time for "play," though, because I can imagine that a person could get bitter if they never took a break except for a hot meal and a shower once a day, as so many truckers do. They seem to be an angry lot, generally speaking, but it's easy to see why. I make Papa play word games, chase me around at safe stops, toss a frisbee around, stuff like that. I don't know how solo over-the-road guys stay out for all that time without going crazy.

I wish my digital camera worked! Once in awhile there are some great picture spots. But most of the scenery is just highway and surrounding countryside. Awesome landscapes though! I wish I could have got a picture of a road sign I saw that read, "Robins Air Force Base, next exit." Cool! Got my very own air base in Georgia!

Getting schoolwork done very quickly with all the time I have. But things like science projects and such, of course, are almost impossible unless they can be done at an overnight stop with materials right at hand. I did my last one on measuring relative humidity and such, and documented it with a borrowed camera. But I got an A! I expect to graduate next month, yay! Then what? No idea, lol.

But being on the road has not only accelerated the speed of my schoolwork, but also given me a lot of appreciation for the size, diversity, and cultures that coexist so amazingly in this vast land.

Still on the road and enjoying it for the most part,
Robin

mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Hey, congratulations on the A, pity about the camera, images would have added a whole new dimension to this thread. How are you at painting?

So you graduate in a month..well, you are such a savvy person, i am sure you will think of something, MIT distance education looks good to me from here. Meanwhile, enjoy the good life, don't drink and drive :wink: , and give my regards to your dad.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Tryin' to get that last load across the ice road before spring breakup . . . (notice the load)
sTruck-in-the-ice.jpg
sTruck-in-the-ice.jpg (226.35 KiB) Viewed 2251 times

Robin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Robin »

Graduation was today! Well, kinda sorta.

I have finished all my high school work and officially have earned an accredited diploma! I was dual-enrolled, taking online classes at the local community college as well, and today the college held it's graduation ceremony. Mom says my name is listed among the graduates on the program, but I'm still on the road. No cap and gown, oh well. It would have been cool.

But I can put A.A. after my name now, having graduated simultaneously from high school and the community college! No more school for awhile. And likely a li'l delay before I start my four-year degree, hopefully at the University of Florida.

I'm sad that I didn't get a graduation ceremony, but under the circumstances it just wasn't possible. Perhaps when I graduate from UF I'lll get one and it'll be all the more special!

-Robin

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Congratulations Robin! That's quite an achievement to have an AA so quickly. I sincerely hope your desire to attend UF becomes reality. It's well-deserved.
Mint Cinnamon 19.3

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Robin ! . . We are proud of you !

Minty style, just for you !
Robins-grad-cap.jpg
Robins-grad-cap.jpg (47.21 KiB) Viewed 2239 times

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance!
God bless,
richy

mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Congratulations, and it's always a pleasure to hear from you and get an update on "Life on the Road"

npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Lots of luck to you Robin,
Your optimism is amazing.
Cheers,
npap

Robin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Robin »

Richyrich, thank you for the awesome Minty grad cap! I made it the new wallpaper on my laptop! Green is my favorite color, too.

Optimism, npap? Thank you, but I do have my moments of feeling kinda hopeless and wondering if this will ever end. On one hand I want to stay and help Papa who is also very lonely and overworked out here in a frustrating job. One can't even look for another job when one is one the road like this, and Papa feels trapped in a job he hates. If I leave I worry that he'll despair.

He says no, but I know Papa and I can't bear to leave him alone out here. I'm trying to help him find other work, and in the meantime I sing, chatter away, manage his paperwork, and help him in every little way I can.

Last time we got home Mom had um, well.... squandered a bunch of money and we're not much better off than when we started. Talk about feeling trapped now! Optimism? In spurts, here and there, and especially online because I don't want to be a little whiner. Being little is okay, lol, but not whining. It sure doesn't help anything.

Papa laid down the law, changed some banking passwords and stuff, and "grabbed the budgetary reigns from your mother," he said. So even he must have some sense of optimism - or maybe it's just that he feels more in control now and less at the mercy of circumstances and an undisciplined partner. Lots of life lessons for me in all of this, right on the verge of adulthood. God's providential timing is always perfect.

Heading North tomorrow, maybe a while before I find a wifi spot and have time to check in, but thank you all for the encouragement, the good humor, and the cheering up!

Mintily Mobile,
Robin

npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Your father is the luckiest man in the world, Robin.
He has his guardian angel sitting right next to him. :)

Here's an idea, Robin: Why not keep a diary of your present life and add to it a description of the circumstances that led your family to the present situation. It would make an interesting book.
Find a publisher that might be interested..
Call it Life on the Road . The tittle itself would make it a success. It may become a best seller :) You do seem to have a talent for writing.
This could change your life! I seriously mean it.
Your story is very touching and inspiring, to say the least.

Best wishes to you and your family,
npap
Attachments
220px-Pink_carnation_crop_two.jpg
220px-Pink_carnation_crop_two.jpg (13.08 KiB) Viewed 2178 times

Return to “Open chat”