Debian now has nice font rendering!

Chat about just about anything else
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Debian now has nice font rendering!

Post by TBABill » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:37 pm

So I played with a few distros lately looking for my super stable OS and finally just settled on Squeeze. It's stable, works perfectly and fit my requirements after several others fell over during my testing period. I installed Debian 6.0 Gnome 64 bit and what a delight it was to do my updates and see nice font rendering in a default install!! No patched libcairo2 files, no extra work. Just changed the fonts to my liking and they all look great.

I'm not sure at what point Debian corrected the fonts, but it had to have happened between my install of Testing when Squeeze was testing and this past weekend with stable. What a sweet reward.

One note, the Ubuntu font rendering seems to make letters a bit more "thick", for lack of a better word to describe it. Those fonts are always top notch, but now Debian is right up there with decent fonts that don't hurt your eyes to look at them on a laptop or flat screen.

Edit: My LMDE install does still look better visually. The fonts look more elegant to me.

kvv
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Debian now has nice font rendering!

Post by kvv » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:24 pm

This is a much awaited improvement.

For LMDE, if I am not mistaken, Clem patched the font rendering before releasing it.

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Oh yeah, it's patched nicely in LMDE. Having great rendering in Debian is something it has needed for a long time.

wilbert-vanbakel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wilbert-vanbakel » Sun May 15, 2011 12:27 am

Thank you very much,
This post motivated me to install Debian Wheezy (weekly build) and I created a new /etc/fonts/local.conf file based on the relevant information from Ubuntu.
Login to activate the new local.conf and enjoy the improvement.
Attachments
local.conf.tar.gz
/etc/fonts/local.conf
(523 Bytes) Downloaded 395 times

Return to “Open chat”