What would stop you from using windows?

Chat about just about anything else
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What would stop you from using windows?

Post by ThistleWeb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:52 am

The GIMP and LibreOffice / OpenOffice are more than ready for many home users, but professional setups do need full compatibility with Adobe and Microsoft, and in some cases advanced features only offered in those applications.
Crivens!

mads
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mads » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:05 am

@ forthright

This is the title of your thread. What would stop you from using windows?

You are not asking a question, because In your opening post you have already
answered why YOU have to continue to use Windows. Good solid reasons.

Now, if you are not asking a question (because you already know the answer). what
are you doing then when you say: "What would stop you from using windows?"

You are simply chatting. You want to chat with other users to see their opinion
about Windows, to laugh, to have fun. So, why getting upset when "DrHu" writes
what he writes. Aren't you having fun? :lol:

spider2097
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider2097 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:27 am

mads wrote:Now, if you are not asking a question (because you already know the answer). what
are you doing then when you say: "What would stop you from using windows?"

You are simply chatting. You want to chat with other users to see their opinion
about Windows, to laugh, to have fun. So, why getting upset when "DrHu" writes
what he writes. Aren't you having fun? :lol:
Good point :) And the point another post made about Linux supporting iPod & iPhone is a salient one. While my previous post said "I could drop Windows pretty much immediately.", it's not something I've given a huge amount of consideration. I use both Linux & Windows - although my Windows PC doesn't get booted as Windows more than a couple of times a week (mainly for updates & maintenance) - and I like both. At this moment in time, Linux is my OS for day-to-day use. I can do most things I want to do on Mint so that feeling as though I have to make a choice isn't an issue. Since I own a copy of both, why shouldn't I use both?

Forthright
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Forthright » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:41 pm

@mads - I am having fun :P , and I am asking a question. I'd much rather read other users answers to the question than have a meaningless discussion on my own subjective view of the world (which I hope we can all agree isn't half as interesting :P ). But if people do make judgments on what I say, I am likely to respond... Unless it's obvious trolling ofcourse :lol:

So back to the question at hand... :wink:
Forthright's Usability Test: "Can you do that effectively whilst holding a conversation and eating a sandwich?"

mads
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mads » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Forthright wrote:@mads - I am having fun :P , and I am asking a question. I'd much rather read other users answers to the question than have a meaningless discussion on my own subjective view of the world (which I hope we can all agree isn't half as interesting :P ). But if people do make judgments on what I say, I am likely to respond... Unless it's obvious trolling ofcourse :lol:

So back to the question at hand... :wink:
Ok, thanks. Just wanted to make sure that the thread continued in a smooth way. :)
I have never been fond of subjective views either. But, discussions about open source
software and Linux/Windows stuff, are almost always touchy. Some threads are really
funny. They start always similar to this:
I am running a dual boot with Windows XP/Vista/7. I must say that I really hate Windows, but my
wife/daughter/son/husband is using the same computer (or I am going to a school that only uses
MS Office and I need to have my Windows) ... :lol:

ldconfig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ldconfig » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:41 pm

Abiword rockz :D

Thanks to a user here I now have zero reasons to even borrow a windows box. My Harmony One programs just fine in Mint 10. Two laptops one desktop one server one router two Tivos one boxee box and two HTC EVO's all running Linux. Yes Android is Linux just really bare bones and all issues are just a 'root' away hehehe
ld

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:02 am

What's a windows???? Linux and hackintosh for my ipod in this household only my friends :D
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

wangsuda
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wangsuda » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:01 am

The only reason I have windows installed virtually is to run a test-making program. Unfortunately, the version of wine that is available for LMDE Xfse cannot run the software.
"I like my software rough." - Brett Larson, ICT instructor
Registered Linux User #487360

Sopwith_Camel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sopwith_Camel » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:05 am

A native Steam client for Linux (which ain't going to happen, I know; or not anytime soon...). I'm aware that others have had varying degrees of success running Steam through Wine/PoL, but for me, every hack and crack in the book wouldn't get it functioning properly on my rig.

Bit the bullet and reinstalled WinXP on an old HDD that I hook up purely for gaming (and Photoshop, though that's more of a side benefit; whilst it's perceptibly smoother under WinXP, of which I might as well take advantage, PS7's performance under Wine was still satisfactorily functional for me).

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:23 pm

A Windows Tax :D

Very common in the 18th century:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_tax

Think it should be revived myself :lol:
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:20 pm

Don't anyway, but still wish i didn't have to regret my decision every now and then when these flash issues occur, and when i sense that audio never sounds as good as when i had my MS supported, Realtek drivers installed. Have been urging like crazy for developing an alternative to flash but haven't found any takers on the forum yet. Good media streaming quality and playback is an important factor in this choice (between Ms and Linux), and it would be pragmatic if Linux developers didn't shrug it off as something that mattered only to juvenile delinquents.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Most Flash things work at me, but as long as it supports Youtube (and for my friends sometimes using the computer, The West) I am happy with it. I haven't yet any problems with Flash on a 64-bit Linux. M$ Silverlight is worse, I once needed to boot Windows to get a movie to play (and that wasn't a Silverlight 3 or 4 program)
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:18 pm

I too manage to get around with FF restarts, reboots, flash reinstallations, etc. and make things just work, but you have to admit that the quality of media is not quite the same on Linux. I am sorry to be an ungrateful wretch, but we were just talking, right...?
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

Return to “Open chat”