Re: trojans detected

Post by colyn »

Did ya let it remove the offending trojans??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

got to love them lame windows based, web based fake anti virus scams.

can they get any more transparent ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.
linuxuser159
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linuxuser159 »

colyn wrote:Did ya let it remove the offending trojans??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
actually, i am curious as to what would happen if i download and run their exe file with wine !
linuxuser159
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linuxuser159 »

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:got to love them lame windows based, web based fake anti virus scams.

can they get any more transparent ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
surprisingly, many people fall for it. I know two windows users who fell for it. human nature !
AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

had a client do that once.

fracked up his wine.

delete the .wine folder and start over.

that was about it
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.
linuxuser159
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linuxuser159 »

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:had a client do that once.

fracked up his wine.

delete the .wine folder and start over.

that was about it

much simpler than formatting and reinstalling windows. mac users are susceptible to such tricks as well.

the advantage of linux is you have signed packages maintained by developers and the linux user is recommended to use these apps only. but once linux becomes popular and attract closed-source commercial apps, this could become a problem.
AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

still irrelevant.

Only 1 way to really hurt linux

sudo password and or root access.

634 clients converted to Linux over 13 months time and not a single infection to date.

over 450 of them were changed over from windows due to infections, most of them multiple times lol.

educate them to only install via trusted sources and always read the fine print before entering the sudo password. Problem solved. :D
linuxuser159
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linuxuser159 »

Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:still irrelevant.

Only 1 way to really hurt linux

sudo password and or root access.

634 clients converted to Linux over 13 months time and not a single infection to date.

over 450 of them were changed over from windows due to infections, most of them multiple times lol.

educate them to only install via trusted sources and always read the fine print before entering the sudo password. Problem solved. :D

currently linux is safe because all apps are open source and packaged in repository after being checked by developers and community programmers. however, people will always be ignorant and naive to accept anything that looks legit on the net. a virus or a spyware may still look like a trusted closed-source app, and a layman user is going to install it. this is where the GNU philosophy becomes really important in keeping closed-source apps away, legit or not.
AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

so true

open and free = higher class of people.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Oh noes ... trojans !!! To the batcave. :D

(edit) Canna help but wonder how many people didn't get the batcave reference. Sighs ... I'm getting soooo friggin old ... oh well.
linuxuser159
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linuxuser159 »

lmintnewb wrote:Oh noes ... trojans !!! To the batcave. :D

(edit) Canna help but wonder how many people didn't get the batcave reference. Sighs ... I'm getting soooo friggin old ... oh well.

batman ?
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Yes ... great !!! May not be as old as I thought and/or at least am not alone and plenty of other people are getting old too. That is some comfort at least. ;)
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

lmintnewb wrote:...I'm getting soooo friggin old ... oh well.
Old Guys Rule!
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

lol ... yeah, we still manage to get around well enough. Even with the darn walkers gettin n the way. ;) Only 36 for real ... Feel much older though. Btw meant to thank ya for that download link in another thread Habitual. Now I've done both. So 2 thank you's.

:D
jroa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jroa »

I wonder when MS will try saying "Warning! The Linux virus has been detected on your computer! Would you like Windows to try to remove it?".
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I wonder when MS will try saying "Warning! The Linux virus has been detected on your computer! Would you like Windows to try to remove it?"
That will not happen any time soon since it would require that Windows detect and acknowledge the presence of Linux. I think Microsoft would rather deny Linux' existence than try to get users to delete it.
Registered Linux User 483387
jroa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jroa »

Aging Technogeek wrote:
I wonder when MS will try saying "Warning! The Linux virus has been detected on your computer! Would you like Windows to try to remove it?"
That will not happen any time soon since it would require that Windows detect and acknowledge the presence of Linux. I think Microsoft would rather deny Linux' existence than try to get users to delete it.
Good point. I believe they have the detect part down, just not the acknowledge part. After all, if you ignore something long enough, it will go away, right?
AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

I think it would be more likely to see a warning on windows .
Warning, We have detected you are using windows with Linux. This is in direct violation of your licensing agreement and can resulting a $ 10,000 fine and or up to 6 months in prison lol
Still waiting to receive word I am being sued for dropping windows and using Linux for my business. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

lmintnewb wrote:lol ... yeah, we still manage to get around well enough. Even with the darn walkers gettin n the way. ;) Only 36 for real ... Feel much older though. Btw meant to thank ya for that download link in another thread Habitual. Now I've done both. So 2 thank you's.

:D
Only 36? Well, call me "Pops" then, I guess. I got 15 years on ya.
re: Download links, n/p. That's the "easy" part.

Return to “Open chat”