Petition to end software patents in the US.

Chat about just about anything else
Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Petition to end software patents in the US.

Post by Kendall » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:12 pm

I stumbled across this earlier this evening. Basically it's a petition to direct the US patent office to cease issuing new software patents and to nullify existing ones based on their negative economic impact and the fact that the patent office originally declared software as non-patentable as it was declared "language". The petition itself lacks a few of the major arguing points against software patents, but does hit a couple of them. I personally share the opinion that software patents shouldn't exist but realize not everyone is of the same opinion.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#! ... s/vvNslSTq

EDIT: I should note that in no way am I attempting to make an overtly political post, just bring attention to the fact that this exists in hope that there might be some interesting conversation as a result. Please share your thoughts.
I'm on Twitter: @kendalltristan
My website: kendalltristan.com
My blog: blog.kendalltristan.com

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Petition to end software patents in the US.

Post by viking777 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:34 am

Hey, how I would love to add my signature to that Kendall, but I don't think they accept votes from 'limey's' :lol:

(and I am not sure I want to give the White House my email address either, but come to think of it they probably already know it :( )
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

gizmodo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Petition to end software patents in the US.

Post by gizmodo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:44 pm

question kendall: can anyone who is not a US citizen sign this?

(also, how are you? havent spoken to you in a while)
(i am NOT part of the gizmodo team or related to them, just before anyone askes;) )

"Beliefs become reality.”

" full time IRCjunk"

Return to “Open chat”