The Mint Café

Chat about just about anything else
User avatar
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2590
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: The Mint Café

Post by Portreve »

The last post was getting lengthy especially because of the screen shots included in it. However, I wanted to follow up with some additional comments.

I "cut my teeth" on a Macintosh, starting in 1986. From the very beginning of the Macintosh platform in 1984, there was a very elegant way to be able to type alternative characters, including but not limited to accented characters. That was to hold down the Option key and type a given letter on the keyboard. The issue is that, in the interest of keeping things "simple" (in this, I would argue that at the time they were sincerely striving for simplicity, not brain-deadness) they assumed certain letters would stand in for the most common options for accented characters, and you would have to either hunt for other keys to get variants, or you could use the option key in conjunction with one of the keys on the number row or a couple other spots to pick the accent you wanted, and then press the letter you wanted to use it with.

So, for many of us long-time Mac users, typing [AltGr] + [e] to get é is simply a natural progression from typing [Option] + [e] for the very same purpose.

My reason for not including a screenshot of the keyboard shortcut/layout panel along with all the other screenshots I posted above is that visually, it's a total nightmare, and might frighten you off if it's the first thing you look at to try and figure out how to type accented and other characters.

By default, if you type [AltGr] + any vowel, you'll get the "acute accent":

á é í ó ú

To get the "grave accent" you can simply type [AltGr] + [`] followed then by any vowel:

à è ì ò ù

Umlauts (or dieresis) work very similarly: [AltGr] + ["] (that's the quote key, so actually it's [AltGr] + [Shift] + [']) followed then by any vowel:

ä ë ï ö ü

This is logical and intuitive because, if you look at hand-written umlauts, they often are just a little bit sloppy and look like a kind of a quote mark over the letter.

Some characters are unique. The Eszett in German, for example, is [AltGr] + [ s ].

ß

This is also logical and intuitive because the Eszett, or more literally "s - set" is a pair, or set, of the letter s.

If you need the circumflex, then it's [AltGr] + [6] followed by a great many different possible letters, which includes all the vowels as well as some consonants:

â ê î ô û ŵ ŷ ŝ ...

This is pretty obvious since the [6] key also has the ^ which is also often known as the "karat" or "carat" and is a pretty standard default symbol used in menus for keyboard shortcuts like [CTRL] + [ S ] to save "^s", and so on.

Other things are, truth be told, technically arbitrary placements, but once you get used to them, they're easy enough to remember.

For example [AltGr] + [5] gives you the Euro sign:

Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

User avatar
npap
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:52 pm
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: The Mint Café

Post by npap »

Hello Porteve,

QUOTE: Specifically npap used special characters in the following words among others:
goodnéss, sociále, adventúre." END QUOTE

In respect to your comments above, these odd characters appeared after a crash of the Forums a few years ago..
They are not normal since they mean nothing. But your work on the various special caracters is very usefull.
Greetings
npap

User avatar
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3136
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: The Mint Café

Post by lsemmens »

Did you know,
Senior Citizens are the nation's leading carriers of AIDS!!


HEARING AIDS

BAND AIDS

ROLL AIDS

WALKING AIDS

MEDICAL AIDS

GOVERNMENT AIDS

Most of all,

MONETARY AIDS for their kids!

And Not forgetting HIV!

(Hair is Vanishing!)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: The Mint Café

Post by MurphCID »

No kidding! The closer I get to 60 the more I agree with that.

User avatar
Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 991
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:37 pm
Location: Beaverton, Oregon USA

Re: The Mint Café

Post by Tomgin5 »

Yessss! At 75 I am still giving aid to kids. Daughter (46) is still coming home to Papa, after 3rd divorce :shock:

User avatar
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2590
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: The Mint Café

Post by Portreve »

Now at 47, I look back on decisions I made when I was a child, and on the very, very short list of good ones, not having children is still one I can agree with.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

User avatar
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2590
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: The Mint Café

Post by Portreve »

Ok, so, some personal stuff (with sensitive info redacted, of course) not for pity, but just to talk about it...

I have been with my present employer for the better part of four years. I audit their stores, so it's a traveling position. For the past year or so, they have been working with an outside (i.e. "third party") inventory auditing company, and this was being done because they had had so many acquisitions going on that they just didn't have the internal manpower.

However, midway through this year the higher-ups decided they would start bringing them into existing established areas of existing stores, and for the past several months they have had the geographic area I cover. As a consequence, my boss has been sending us further away from where we live because none of the stores in our area are available to us any longer. However, a few weeks ago had her knuckles rapped by upper management for giving out "unnecessary" and "excessive" drive time and mileage, because she does have a team who lives up in that neck of the woods. However, she can't send us to any of the stores down here, so either she gives us drive time and mileage, or we don't have any work. However, upper management doesn't care about that. Moreover, there are some other tasks we are capable of doing, but either she's been told that's not an appropriate use of our labor hours, or they are things that only need to be done very sporadically.

What this has resulted in is that, as a full time associate, I'm getting between 1 and 3 days a week of work. Clearly, it's not possible for me to survive on this.

I told her in a phone call that if this keeps up, she's going to lose her team. She agreed. I also believe, as do others I work with, that it's only a matter of time before they give that company the other areas as well. However, whether that happens or not, I'm barely employed at this point.

While this is the very first time in my work life that anything like this has happened, what I have noticed over the course of my time in the working world in the U.S. is that our labor laws and labor practices, which basically suck, have been getting worse. It's all wrapped up in corporate-sponsored political ideology (which I won't get into here because LMF has rules against getting into religion and politics, which I very much support) and so things which should be changed just never are, with a significant portion of the population shouting down anyone who would ever express an interest in such changes. It's why, among other reasons, I recently changed my LMF profile to warn non-US folk coming to the US for work to be very careful because we may not have the various protections they're used to.

Anyhow, I've been busting my hump on Indeed, ZipRecruiter, and Monster, trying to get in somewhere. Logically, this should be the best time to do so since our national unemployment rate is 3.5% (in classical economics, 5% is considered "full employment") so employers should be (and, as far as I can tell, are) screaming for employees. About a week ago, a major corporation contacted me and I've now made it through three (or four, depending on how you want to count them) stages of employment screening, and I now have a live, in-person interview lined up for Jan. 16.

I can't wait to walk away from this stupid company (and they are stupid, for many reasons beyond anything having to do with my situation) and never have to count crap again, deal with horrible store conditions, freeze my ass off in coolers, deal with mold and god-knows-what-else.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

User avatar
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3136
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: The Mint Café

Post by lsemmens »

All the best Portreve, I have been blessed in that I never had to "chase" work, but I do understand the issues that people have in the current employment climate.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

User avatar
npap
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1263
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:52 pm
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: The Mint Café

Post by npap »

WISHING HAPPYNESS AND HEALTH FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES IN THE COMING NEW YEAR
npap

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 14625
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: The Mint Café

Post by Pjotr »

Portreve wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 pm
interview lined up for Jan. 16.
Horrible story: nineteenth-century capitalism at its nastiest.... I sincerely hope that your interview will be successful.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

User avatar
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2590
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: The Mint Café

Post by Portreve »

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:22 am
Portreve wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 pm
interview lined up for Jan. 16.
Horrible story: nineteenth-century capitalism at its nastiest.... I sincerely hope that your interview will be successful.
Thank you! And yes, I agree with your perspective.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

User avatar
Swampthing
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 2:26 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Mint Café

Post by Swampthing »

Portreve wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 pm

and I now have a live, in-person interview lined up for Jan. 16.
I really hope the best for you. Being umemployed is (or was for me) stressful.
I just got a new job after nearly one and a half years unemployment.
My new employer is a former competitor of my former employer, but they decided to fire 25 after they bought my last workplace and I was one of them.
Portreve wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 pm
so employers should be (and, as far as I can tell, are) screaming for employees.
Same here in Denmark, especially in the IT field, and I have a degree and various certificates but can't get a job there.
So I'm kindda stuck with fixing and servicing vending machines and selling coffee.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2649
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA

Re: The Mint Café

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Horrible story: nineteenth-century capitalism at its nastiest
If only Charles Dickens was alive today...He would be having a "field day" writing about the ills of present day corporate culture and the sheer greed of modern day capitalism...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

User avatar
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2590
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: The Mint Café

Post by Portreve »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:19 pm
Horrible story: nineteenth-century capitalism at its nastiest
If only Charles Dickens was alive today...He would be having a "field day" writing about the ills of present day corporate culture and the sheer greed of modern day capitalism...DAMIEN
At the risk of running afoul of certain LMF policies...

I think if Charles Dickens was alive today, as much as he would rally against the corporate culture of which you speak, I think he would be altogether more horrified by a general public which embraces and is willing to fight for that system, over and above and effectively against their own self-interest.

“Then let them die! And decrease the surplus population.” was never intended as instructions or the point of his story.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 696
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:19 am

Re: The Mint Café

Post by ColdBootII »

Portreve wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:48 pm
Now at 47, I look back on decisions I made when I was a child, and on the very, very short list of good ones, not having children is still one I can agree with.
Well, that's because you're still young at 47 and hopefully, with both of your parents still around. However, some day you might change your point of view, when you realize that all your kin stopped breathing and you're the sole survivor...

At the same time, at your age, your're somewhat of an old codger :mrgreen: in the eyes of corporate business and it's excellent that anyone considers giving you a job.

Good luck! :D

User avatar
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2590
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: The Mint Café

Post by Portreve »

ColdBootII wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:08 pm
Portreve wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:48 pm
Now at 47, I look back on decisions I made when I was a child, and on the very, very short list of good ones, not having children is still one I can agree with.
Well, that's because you're still young at 47 and hopefully, with both of your parents still around. However, some day you might change your point of view, when you realize that all your kin stopped breathing and you're the sole survivor...

At the same time, at your age, your're somewhat of an old codger :mrgreen: in the eyes of corporate business and it's excellent that anyone considers giving you a job.

Good luck! :D
Well, at some point, I will just have to live off the system and be homeless then if it comes to it.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 696
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:19 am

Re: The Mint Café

Post by ColdBootII »

Portreve wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:54 pm
Well, at some point, I will just have to live off the system and be homeless then if it comes to it.
Honestly, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, rather it is indeed a stroke of good luck to be given another opportunity when nearly everyone prefers young as* these days.

Brake your leg!

User avatar
coffee412
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1060
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:38 pm
Location: Indiana, USA
Contact:

Re: The Mint Café

Post by coffee412 »

Portreve wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:54 pm
ColdBootII wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:08 pm
Portreve wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:48 pm
Now at 47, I look back on decisions I made when I was a child, and on the very, very short list of good ones, not having children is still one I can agree with.
Well, that's because you're still young at 47 and hopefully, with both of your parents still around. However, some day you might change your point of view, when you realize that all your kin stopped breathing and you're the sole survivor...

At the same time, at your age, your're somewhat of an old codger :mrgreen: in the eyes of corporate business and it's excellent that anyone considers giving you a job.

Good luck! :D
Well, at some point, I will just have to live off the system and be homeless then if it comes to it.
I am much older than you and will share some sound advice. Keep in mind that most people when they hear advice today they look at it as a personal attack on them. This is not the manner that I am giving it. So, Lets chat about this in the way that I intended it :)

It seems that you dislike Capitalism and tend to blame it for your problems. Well, Its not Capitalism that causes this. Its actually the government and how they cozy up with big business. They quit caring about Us some years ago and just take the bribe money from the big companies. However, You see this in any Country. So, Its not the fault of Capitalism. Its the people voted into government by the people not making sound decisions. So, Thats all I will say on that matter. Just stick with me here.

You state that if you do not get hired you will just have to live off the government dole or be homeless. At the risk of my post being deleted I will share this bit of information with you. Now, Before you breeze by my post just give it a good think.

The most successful individuals do not work for large companies. They strive out on their own and create their own opportunities. They do not wait for something to float there way. I will never do that again.

When I decided to go into business for myself I had spent quite a bit of time studying the business that would be my competition. I learned everything about them. I understood their weaknesses and also their strengths. I developed a formula to guide my business and I never diverted from it.

Capitalism is like a ladder it provides the rungs so that you can climb up on your own. You still have to do the work but its all up to you how high you want to climb. Contrast that with the other *ism's . Those others are a rope with those at the top deciding how high you will go - if at all.

You dont believe me. I understand that. However, All you have to do is look around you and see this. Look on YouTube at all the businesses that have started up in such areas as Car repair, Computer repair, Cell phone repair, Servers and all other kinds of work. Through hard work they have created great opportunities and businesses.

You strike me as intelligent. There is no reason why you cannot do the same. Since I started my business I have read many comments on how something is not fair and thats why they fail. In reality its always easy to blame someone or something else for failure. Those that do succeed might have failed many times. However, They modify their plan and keep going. They never listen to those that tell them how their plan will not work or how some society is against them and they need some government or company to help them. Those that do listen to such talk never achieve greatness. They get out and create their own opportunities.

Just the other day I had a phone call from someone that saw my website and said that it really needed help in the SEO dept. That I will end up failing if I dont immediately get some SEO help in there. I smiled to myself at that point and told the person on the other end that I did not need their help and that my website is not what drives my business. My business is driven by hard work and loyalty to my clients - word of mouth. They could not understand that. How can you actually survive without proper SEO?? . I simply told them that my business plan does not involve SEO, Google or any of the other services to drive my business. I know that in order to stand out from the crowd I have to be different. Not like all the others. Word of mouth has driven my business for years.

What Im trying to tell you is that I am no one special. Anyone can do what I have done and they have. In today's economy if you are struggling then perhaps other avenues should be explored - and they should. Capitalism is the worlds greatest economy and income generator there ever is or will be. There is no reason anyone should not use it to further their selves and enrich their lives to the extend they want.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

User avatar
Portreve
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2590
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: The Mint Café

Post by Portreve »

First off, I want to assure you, coffee412, that I did, in fact, thoroughly read your post; I did not breeze by it or through it.

I'd love to respond, I really would, but I'm not going down that path because as it is, it's already borderline against board policy because of the political and political-related elements in it. Any response I might give, apart from this, would simply get this whole portion the thread deleted.

I sense that you have legitimate concern for my welfare, at least inasmuch as one human being feels some concern for any other, and I do sincerely appreciate that.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

User avatar
coffee412
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1060
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:38 pm
Location: Indiana, USA
Contact:

Re: The Mint Café

Post by coffee412 »

Portreve wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:09 pm
First off, I want to assure you, coffee412, that I did, in fact, thoroughly read your post; I did not breeze by it or through it.

I'd love to respond, I really would, but I'm not going down that path because as it is, it's already borderline against board policy because of the political and political-related elements in it. Any response I might give, apart from this, would simply get this whole portion the thread deleted.

I sense that you have legitimate concern for my welfare, at least inasmuch as one human being feels some concern for any other, and I do sincerely appreciate that.
Thank you.

My Father always told me "You can do anything you want to do. You just have to want to bad enough".

I hope things work out for you and yes, I do care about people. Especially if I have also been down that road before. :)
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

Post Reply

Return to “Open chat”