The Mint Café

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: The Mint Café

Post by lsemmens »

All the best Portreve, I have been blessed in that I never had to "chase" work, but I do understand the issues that people have in the current employment climate.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

WISHING HAPPYNESS AND HEALTH FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES IN THE COMING NEW YEAR
npap
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Portreve wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 pm interview lined up for Jan. 16.
Horrible story: nineteenth-century capitalism at its nastiest.... I sincerely hope that your interview will be successful.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:22 am
Portreve wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 pm interview lined up for Jan. 16.
Horrible story: nineteenth-century capitalism at its nastiest.... I sincerely hope that your interview will be successful.
Thank you! And yes, I agree with your perspective.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Swampthing
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Swampthing »

Portreve wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 pm
and I now have a live, in-person interview lined up for Jan. 16.
I really hope the best for you. Being umemployed is (or was for me) stressful.
I just got a new job after nearly one and a half years unemployment.
My new employer is a former competitor of my former employer, but they decided to fire 25 after they bought my last workplace and I was one of them.
Portreve wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 pm so employers should be (and, as far as I can tell, are) screaming for employees.
Same here in Denmark, especially in the IT field, and I have a degree and various certificates but can't get a job there.
So I'm kindda stuck with fixing and servicing vending machines and selling coffee.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Horrible story: nineteenth-century capitalism at its nastiest
If only Charles Dickens was alive today...He would be having a "field day" writing about the ills of present day corporate culture and the sheer greed of modern day capitalism...DAMIEN
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:19 pm
Horrible story: nineteenth-century capitalism at its nastiest
If only Charles Dickens was alive today...He would be having a "field day" writing about the ills of present day corporate culture and the sheer greed of modern day capitalism...DAMIEN
At the risk of running afoul of certain LMF policies...

I think if Charles Dickens was alive today, as much as he would rally against the corporate culture of which you speak, I think he would be altogether more horrified by a general public which embraces and is willing to fight for that system, over and above and effectively against their own self-interest.

“Then let them die! And decrease the surplus population.” was never intended as instructions or the point of his story.

ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Portreve wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:48 pm Now at 47, I look back on decisions I made when I was a child, and on the very, very short list of good ones, not having children is still one I can agree with.
Well, that's because you're still young at 47 and hopefully, with both of your parents still around. However, some day you might change your point of view, when you realize that all your kin stopped breathing and you're the sole survivor...

At the same time, at your age, your're somewhat of an old codger :mrgreen: in the eyes of corporate business and it's excellent that anyone considers giving you a job.

Good luck! :D
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

ColdBootII wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:08 pm
Portreve wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:48 pm Now at 47, I look back on decisions I made when I was a child, and on the very, very short list of good ones, not having children is still one I can agree with.
Well, that's because you're still young at 47 and hopefully, with both of your parents still around. However, some day you might change your point of view, when you realize that all your kin stopped breathing and you're the sole survivor...

At the same time, at your age, your're somewhat of an old codger :mrgreen: in the eyes of corporate business and it's excellent that anyone considers giving you a job.

Well, at some point, I will just have to live off the system and be homeless then if it comes to it.

ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Portreve wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:54 pm Well, at some point, I will just have to live off the system and be homeless then if it comes to it.
Honestly, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, rather it is indeed a stroke of good luck to be given another opportunity when nearly everyone prefers young as* these days.

Brake your leg!
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Portreve wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:54 pm
ColdBootII wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:08 pm

Well, at some point, I will just have to live off the system and be homeless then if it comes to it.
I am much older than you and will share some sound advice. Keep in mind that most people when they hear advice today they look at it as a personal attack on them. This is not the manner that I am giving it. So, Lets chat about this in the way that I intended it :)

It seems that you dislike Capitalism and tend to blame it for your problems. Well, Its not Capitalism that causes this. Its actually the government and how they cozy up with big business. They quit caring about Us some years ago and just take the bribe money from the big companies. However, You see this in any Country. So, Its not the fault of Capitalism. Its the people voted into government by the people not making sound decisions. So, Thats all I will say on that matter. Just stick with me here.

You state that if you do not get hired you will just have to live off the government dole or be homeless. At the risk of my post being deleted I will share this bit of information with you. Now, Before you breeze by my post just give it a good think.

The most successful individuals do not work for large companies. They strive out on their own and create their own opportunities. They do not wait for something to float there way. I will never do that again.

When I decided to go into business for myself I had spent quite a bit of time studying the business that would be my competition. I learned everything about them. I understood their weaknesses and also their strengths. I developed a formula to guide my business and I never diverted from it.

Capitalism is like a ladder it provides the rungs so that you can climb up on your own. You still have to do the work but its all up to you how high you want to climb. Contrast that with the other *ism's . Those others are a rope with those at the top deciding how high you will go - if at all.

You dont believe me. I understand that. However, All you have to do is look around you and see this. Look on YouTube at all the businesses that have started up in such areas as Car repair, Computer repair, Cell phone repair, Servers and all other kinds of work. Through hard work they have created great opportunities and businesses.

You strike me as intelligent. There is no reason why you cannot do the same. Since I started my business I have read many comments on how something is not fair and thats why they fail. In reality its always easy to blame someone or something else for failure. Those that do succeed might have failed many times. However, They modify their plan and keep going. They never listen to those that tell them how their plan will not work or how some society is against them and they need some government or company to help them. Those that do listen to such talk never achieve greatness. They get out and create their own opportunities.

Just the other day I had a phone call from someone that saw my website and said that it really needed help in the SEO dept. That I will end up failing if I dont immediately get some SEO help in there. I smiled to myself at that point and told the person on the other end that I did not need their help and that my website is not what drives my business. My business is driven by hard work and loyalty to my clients - word of mouth. They could not understand that. How can you actually survive without proper SEO?? . I simply told them that my business plan does not involve SEO, Google or any of the other services to drive my business. I know that in order to stand out from the crowd I have to be different. Not like all the others. Word of mouth has driven my business for years.

What Im trying to tell you is that I am no one special. Anyone can do what I have done and they have. In today's economy if you are struggling then perhaps other avenues should be explored - and they should. Capitalism is the worlds greatest economy and income generator there ever is or will be. There is no reason anyone should not use it to further their selves and enrich their lives to the extend they want.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

First off, I want to assure you, coffee412, that I did, in fact, thoroughly read your post; I did not breeze by it or through it.

I'd love to respond, I really would, but I'm not going down that path because as it is, it's already borderline against board policy because of the political and political-related elements in it. Any response I might give, apart from this, would simply get this whole portion the thread deleted.

I sense that you have legitimate concern for my welfare, at least inasmuch as one human being feels some concern for any other, and I do sincerely appreciate that.

coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Portreve wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:09 pm First off, I want to assure you, coffee412, that I did, in fact, thoroughly read your post; I did not breeze by it or through it.

I'd love to respond, I really would, but I'm not going down that path because as it is, it's already borderline against board policy because of the political and political-related elements in it. Any response I might give, apart from this, would simply get this whole portion the thread deleted.

I sense that you have legitimate concern for my welfare, at least inasmuch as one human being feels some concern for any other, and I do sincerely appreciate that.
Thank you.

My Father always told me "You can do anything you want to do. You just have to want to bad enough".

I hope things work out for you and yes, I do care about people. Especially if I have also been down that road before. :)
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

coffee412 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:23 am...My Father always told me "You can do anything you want to do. You just have to want to bad enough"...
I've always hated that statement because it is often simply not true! Not everyone has the ability to become a star athlete no matter how hard they try simply because of genetics limiting their bodies' capabilities. Not everyone has the aptitude to become a surgeon. Telling a Down's Syndrome child s/he can become, say, a theoretical physicist would not only be wrong, it would be cruel. People have varying abilities and varying disabilities and trying to paint them all with the you-can-do-anything-as-long-as-you-try-hard-enough brush is just wrong! True, some people have achieved remarkable things despite various obstacles in their paths but that does not mean everyone can.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

So! Who's up for a beer?
Fully mint Household
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

lsemmens wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:33 pm So! Who's up for a beer?
I don't drink. How about a Caffeine Free Diet Coke (that's what I'm nursing right now)? :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

My commiserations. ;)

I'm blessed in that I have no "need" to indulge in "health foods". That said, I prefer Pepsi Max over Choke or the Pepsi equivalent. However, if that's your favourite poison, I'll not argue. :D
Telling a Down's Syndrome child s/he can become, say, a theoretical physicist would not only be wrong, it would be cruel.
There, you may be incorrect. Just because they have some impairment does not mean that they cannot be successful A theoretical physics degree may not necessarily be possible for many, just as many could not become renown actors, yet, there are numerous actors who suffer from that condition.
Fully mint Household
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:32 pm
coffee412 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:23 am...My Father always told me "You can do anything you want to do. You just have to want to bad enough"...
I've always hated that statement because it is often simply not true! Not everyone has the ability to become a star athlete no matter how hard they try simply because of genetics limiting their bodies' capabilities. Not everyone has the aptitude to become a surgeon. Telling a Down's Syndrome child s/he can become, say, a theoretical physicist would not only be wrong, it would be cruel. People have varying abilities and varying disabilities and trying to paint them all with the you-can-do-anything-as-long-as-you-try-hard-enough brush is just wrong! True, some people have achieved remarkable things despite various obstacles in their paths but that does not mean everyone can.
Everybody has within them the ability to obtain a worthy goal. A worthy goal is defined here as achieving a certain level within the boundaries of your physical or mental abilities. If your goal is to become a star athlete but you do not possess the physical abilities because of some handicap then that is outside your boundaries. It is not a worthy goal. The saying "You can do anything you want in life, You just have to want it bad enough", Explains that most people want to achieve a goal with as minimal of effort as possible. That is not possible. You have to expend the necessary and needed effort to obtain that goal. You have to work on this goal every day and every minute of your life until you eventually reach it. No worthy goal is achieved thru minimal effort either physical or mental. You must be prepared to do what it takes to reach that goal.

In life you will meet many different people. Of these people there are those that have tried for the same goal that you have set. They failed at that goal and then spend their time telling you that its not possible. Should they succeed to keep you from obtaining your goal then they validate their own failing and thus protect their own ego. You will see these people in every walk of life. Should you succeed then it forces them to look to reevaluate themselves. This is the reason that those out there exist to want you to fail. It preserves their fragile ego. Identify them and stay way from them. These people are in every walk of life with the reoccurring theme of "Your wasting your time. You cannot do this on your own. Your just going to fail".

If you set a worthy goal, Whether it be obtaining wealth, Happiness or just meeting your day to day commitments then the biggest obstacle you are going to have is yourself. You must be willing to put forth the effort necessary to obtain those goals.

Therefore, "You can do anything that you want to do. You just have to want it bad enough".
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:58 am My commiserations. ;)

I'm blessed in that I have no "need" to indulge in "health foods". That said, I prefer Pepsi Max over Choke or the Pepsi equivalent. However, if that's your favourite poison, I'll not argue. :D
Telling a Down's Syndrome child s/he can become, say, a theoretical physicist would not only be wrong, it would be cruel.
There, you may be incorrect. Just because they have some impairment does not mean that they cannot be successful A theoretical physics degree may not necessarily be possible for many, just as many could not become renown actors, yet, there are numerous actors who suffer from that condition.
Excellant.

More importantly and maybe just restated in another way:

The real cruel intent is to discourage someone from obtaining a worthy goal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... n_syndrome
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

coffee412 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:11 am
The real cruel intent is to discourage someone from obtaining a worthy goal.
Well said! We had a pastor who used to say "Have a go, you never know, you just might succeed!" :D

My favourite has always been the Bible verse "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". It doesn't say I can excel in all all things, but that I can do them nor does it mean that I can sprout wings and fly. IYKWIM.
Fully mint Household

Return to “Open Chat”