The Mint Café

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Vladimir00

Re: The Mint Café

Post by Vladimir00 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:25 pm
Vladimir00 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:08 pm In 1907 computers did not exist
What a load of old rot. They existed as far back as 200 BCE, and depending on your definition of 'computer', they go back as far as 2700 BCE. Pascal, Babbage and Leibniz all developed early modern era computing machines.
Using the broad definition of a computer, yes .
Ancient computer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

RollyShed wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:24 pm
Vladimir00 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:08 pm
npap wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:25 pm Kenetics happened to mention above my nickname and the fact that I started the Mint Cafe sometime in 1907.
In 1907 computers did not exist :D It's really amazing how much the world has changed since the early twentieth century.
Charles Babbage KH FRS 26 December 1791 – 18 October 1871)

Babbage is credited with inventing the first mechanical computer that eventually led to more complex electronic designs, though all the essential ideas of modern computers are to be found in Babbage's Analytical Engine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Babbage
LOL, I wonder if some are complaining that Mint doesn't "run" on their old Babbage computers and Clem should be making sure Mint is compatible on their old hardware :-)
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

Barbados99 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:44 am LOL, I wonder if some are complaining that Mint doesn't "run" on their old Babbage computers and Clem should be making sure Mint is compatible on their old hardware :-)
+ :lol:
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Things change very fast, new technology and all that. Yes? No? So, when could we send an email from New Zealand to the other side of the world, England?

How about 1876? An email was called a telegram then but it was digital data (Morse code) which is what emails are, digital data.

So convenience has gone up (dramatically) and cost as gone down (equally dramatically). But it has taken nearly 150 years to get to be able to do it on your hand-held device (smart phone).
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Also in that time we've learned not to over-voltage undersea cables... and perhaps one or two other things. :wink:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Feeling rather relieved after seeing an overweight 74-year old man with unhealthy food habits, recovering so fast from a COVID-19 infection.... That's a sure sign that medical treatment of COVID-19 has improved dramatically since March.

We still need to be careful of course, because you don't want to become ill. But it definitely feels good to know that even if we become infected, there are powerful new medicines to help us get through it quickly.

Just a thought: maybe I can at last start to cut down a bit on my daily huge intake of vegetables. My wife won't let such a cut go too far, but thrice a week I have to cook for myself, and tossing in the occasional pizza and Big Mac again, won't do much harm, it seems. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:01 am Feeling rather relieved after seeing an overweight 74-year old man with unhealthy food habits, recovering so fast from a COVID-19 infection.... That's a sure sign that medical treatment of COVID-19 has improved dramatically since March.

Just a thought: maybe I can at last start to cut down a bit on my daily huge intake of vegetables. My wife won't let such a cut go too far, but thrice a week I have to cook for myself, and tossing in the occasional pizza and Big Mac again, won't do much harm, it seems. :mrgreen:
I do NOT eat veggies period.
never have enjoyed them, and since my upper teeth were culled out from being useful, it is impossible to chew anything that has fiber in it.

the local dentist made me a Denture, but it does not fit right, even after being remade 4 times.
been over a year since I tried to put it in.

hate the damn adhesive that is necessary to keep it from coming loose and clacking around loose in my mouth.
it turned vertical once, and prevented me from breathing.....
that ended that experience, never again will I use a loose denture.

Posts to hold the denture?
what a joke, they want $1,800 per post.
what a rip off, I refuse to infuse their wallets paying for posts.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Luna Moon

Post by Luna Moon »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:01 am Just a thought: maybe I can at last start to cut down a bit on my daily huge intake of vegetables. My wife won't let such a cut go too far, but thrice a week I have to cook for myself, and tossing in the occasional pizza and Big Mac again, won't do much harm, it seems. :mrgreen:
Why not kill two birds with one stone: eat both at the same time and put the vegetable on pizza and burger :D
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Seriously speedy car rebuild. They had effectively a week between race meetings in the very truncated BTCC Calendar and this Motorbase Ford Focus was near enough detroyed after a heavy impact with a concrete wall, barrel roll and landing facing oncoming cars on the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuDypfp ... e=youtu.be

The explained version, am I the only one who thinks this emoji resembles Olly? :shock: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LMYH7cp8Ko
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Hello everybody.
I'm so glad to see that this site is alive. Please accept my congratulations, new comers. My gratitude also
Best regards from a Mint old timer.
npap
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Hi npap, Glad to see you on the forum.

The Mint Cafe will soon be celebrating its 24th anniversary!
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
thomas-gatry

Post by thomas-gatry »

Hi MintPeople Command))
Everything works beautifully, I will be happy to help the community
guilupe

Post by guilupe »

So how do we have a system that rewards and benefits Mint? Well the solution to this is to make Mint a product that works for all. Well the system is good. The money is there.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

The KLF have uploaded 8 of their classics to YouTube, Spotify and Apple Music. Here's the YouTube playlist link

Enjoy :D
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

.Wishing a Happy New Year to all my Mint friends
npap, alive and kicking
:D
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

kenetics wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:22 pm Hi npap, Glad to see you on the forum.

The Mint Cafe will soon be celebrating its 24th anniversary!
I HOPE SO, MY FRIEND KEN
But I may not be here at that time, :(
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Superbowl 2021: Where Is Everyone?

Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

ha ha ha ha,

we are watching 60 Minutes on CBS instead.... more entertaining by a lot. :wink:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

It was very entertaining for me. Bolts, Bucks, & Rays, what a year!
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.

Return to “Open Chat”